1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setup questions from a lucky new Sony owner.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by chris.naisbitt, Nov 16, 2003.

1. chris.naisbitt

chris.naisbitt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I the luckiest guy in the world? I just got a Sony VPH-D50QM for free. :clap: It's been used at work for a few years so I'd expected the worst but it turns out it's in good condition and it's got less than 300 hours on it (I don't think anyone could be bothered to wait 20 minutes for it to warm up so it was hardly used).

Anyway, to the point.

I've had a good read of the installation manual and played with the adjustments a little and I have a few questions:

1) I've been trying to get the basic manual convergence and focus set up and I don't seem to be able to get the blue in focus. I've read elsewhere on the forum that the blue should be slightly out of focus but how much is too much?

2) If I do need to sharpen this up, then I assume I need to adjust the blue focus pot (I've located this on the side of the unit). The Sony installation manual doesn't mention this at all, is there anything I should know before I mess with it?

3) When doing the manual convergence should I be able to overlay the two colored crosshairs entirely or is the aim just to get the main vertical and horizontal lines to overlay as closely as possible?

And finally, can anyone recommend a good, cheap pull down screen (4/3 ratio)?

I appreciate that's a lot of questions so any advice at all would be gratefully received.

Thanks, Chris.

2. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You lucky git! <green with envy> :rolleyes:

If it was me the first thing I would do is clean the lenses internally. It made quite a difference on mine once all the lenses were clean. Watch you don't scratch them though; I followed some instructions on GordonF's site.

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I doubt with 300 hrs the back of the lenses will need cleaning
    Blue will and should look soft comapred to the others but only slightly. turn the contrast down and check that it is truley defocuesed by looking down the tube.
    Most important thing is to get the image centred on the tube face then do the lens toe in.

4. chris.naisbitt

chris.naisbitt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Roland.

I've found something a bit strange while following your advice. With the contrast right down, when I turn the brightness down, the red and green tubes get dimmer but the blue tube gets brighter. Also the range of adjustment on the brightness of the blue tube is small - even at it's dimmest (max brightness!) it's still quite bright.

Now, I'm no expert, but that doen's seem right to me.:confused:

Any suggestions?