Question Setup question - image distortion, projector positioning

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ultimus, Jun 6, 2018.

1. ultimus

ultimus
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I'm currently in the process of buying an apartment, and as it's always been a dream of mine, I'd like to get a projector and a screen in the living room, for movie nights and so on. It won't be the primary use of the room, nor will the projector be the primary display in the room (there will also be a TV for, well, TV watching). Therefore I decided to go with an electric screen, mounted from the top. I'm thinking about a ~1000 EUR budget for the set, probably going with Optoma or BenQ for the projector and EliteScreens for the screen.But that's not the priority now, I'm more worried about the whole setup.

The room is rectangular, with the sofa and the screen facing each other on the opposite ends, with a window behing the sofa. The window seems like a problem to me, as I will have to place the projector on the side of it (ceiling mount is out of question for now), which means that the image will have to be corrected to compensate for the non-direct angle. I'm attaching a quick mockup of the room, it was done in 3 minutes in Paint, but the dimensions should be more or less representative.

Is there something I should know before purchasing any of this, or something to watch out for (lens shift, zoom levels, etc.)? Is this horizontal offset a big problem for projecting? I'm kind of new to this, so I'd like to avoid the largest mistakes.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Attached Files:

2. Gilbers

Gilbers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    In terms of it's vertical position, can you mount the projector in line with the centre of the screen? This will maximize the horizontal lens-shift range you have to play with. Even then, your diagram suggests you are going to need at least 50% horizontal shift, and the maximum I have seen on any model is somewhere in the high 40s, so you will also need some horizontal keystone capability. Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, no model with these features is within your current budget, so second-hand may be the only option.

Have you considered the alternative of a short-throw projector placed on a coffee table?

3. ultimus

ultimus
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your answer! What I took from your response is, if I can't position the projector in front of the screen, I should at least align it with the vertical center of it, to somehow make up for the horizontal shift that will have to take place. I think I will be able to align it, and maybe the 50% won't be necessary, as I still have to get the precise measurements of the room and furniture. Then I'll be able to say if I can afford to place the projector where I want it, or if it can be positioned more conveniently, or if I'll have to make some cuts.

That said, if there will be no comfortable stable position, maybe I'll have to be satisfied with a coffee-table position as you say, until I can come up with a better long-term solution (e.g. ceiling mount).

The most important takeaway for now is - it's possible to adjust a horizontal shift, I just needed to clear this up :)

Thanks again!