1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setup Q's with Panasonic SC-HT870...noobie warning!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by duckson, Nov 29, 2004.

1. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm wondering if you can help a noobie with the setup of the above... :hiya:

I'm shortly going to be buying the above Home Cinema system and want to get all the cables I need sorted before i get it plus i want to have some sort of idea how i'm going to set it up beforehand! :blush:

The 870 will be connected up to a 4 year old Panasonic 28" WS Quintrix TV (currently has Pro Logic), it has 1 RGB Scart and 1 S-Video Scart (no component i'm afraid). I will also have a standard Sky Digital box and VCR in the setup (both Panasonic).

I want to connect the entire system up so that I obviously get 5.1 or DTS on DVD playback but i also want to use the 5 speakers/1 Sub when watching Sky or a video on the VCR (this would be as Pro Logic II...correct?).

So question is how is best to connect it all with the Scart leads (& how many do i need as i doubt the 870 comes with any!) plus do i need anything else eg phono leads?

And one final question....i presume once setup i should turn my TV volume to zero and just turn on the 870's amp to listen to the sound from the 870's speaker setup from Sky or VCR?! :confused:

Noobie questions i know...i did warn u! :suicide:

TIA for any help. :smashin:

2. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No doubt you'll be ditching the TV speakers then.

Unfortunately not as DPL2 only works for DVD section (i.e. audio CD's). You would use the Super Surround mode which basically does the same job but without Dolby's subsidy.

RGB scart from SKY's TV-out to HT870 then another RGB scart from HT870 TV output to AV1 on the TV. Then connect SKY's VCR scart output to the VCR which then needs another scart to AV2 on the TV (best hope your VCR has 2 scart's or you won't be able to record SKY other than via the aerial lead).

Spot on.

3. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks very much for the reply.

The VCR has 2 scarts but I think the HT870 has only one scart (RGB enabled) though?

If so would it be a good idea to connect as follows?

TV AV1(RGB) - Sky - HT870
    TV AV2(non-RGB) - VCR

I would then get 2 quality scart cables for the RGB signals to AV1.

Or would it be better to do this?

TV AV1(RGB) - Sky - VCR - HT870

I would then need 3 quality scart cables?!

So i dont need any phono leads or anything just scart cables?

Obviously if i was using the above for all my sound then I wouldnt be able to change the volume via the Sky remote as i do now? would an 'all in one' type of remote be a good idea and enable me to control both the home cinema setup volume, change sky channel etc etc?

4. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be surprised if the HT870 didn't have a SCART input, the SCART output is definately RGB capable though. If you definately can't go through the amp for RGB video then your 2nd idea for connecting up looks ok, but you can add phono leads from SKY to amp and VCR to amp for the sound switching.

The SKY remote wouldn't control the amps volume BTW as it would only work the TV and SKY box.

5. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks for your help again. I presume i would be able to tape off Sky using the setup i suggested?

What i need is the manual for the system but panasonic.co.uk dont seem to list any Home Cinema system manuals. :(

6. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You shouldn't have problems recording sky by going "TV AV1(RGB) - Sky - VCR - HT870", but if you did then you could just swap the VCR and SKY box over i.e. TV AV1(RGB) - VCR - SKY - HT870.
    Regarding the manuals, there is a whole load of HT system in the Download Centre under HiFi system, although this years models are not listed, probably too new?

7. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Sorry i meant the setup below:-

TV AV1(RGB) - Sky - HT870
    TV AV2(non-RGB) - VCR

For recording from Sky. Would them all in a chain and the DVD player at the end not lose me some picture quality? (the VCR is not Nicam).

I dont at the moment have any problems recording DVD (it decodes macrovision) from my ancient Mico DVD player in the following setup:-

TV AV1(RGB) - Sky - VCR
    TV AV2(non-RGB) - DVD

Spose i'd have to try the arrangement of VCR on AV2 and see if i can tape off Sky....

8. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Gah i'm talking rubbish....the RGB of the DVD is connected to the VCR as well. :blush:

Think the best idea would be to get an RGB scart switching box for use in AV1.

9. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It all lies on whether the amp has a SCART input aswell as it's output because then it would allow you to go full circle, TV AV1 to HT870 to SKY to VCR TV AV2.

10. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Dunno if it has or not....anyone on here got one and can confirm the connection arrangement please?! Or better still a link to d/l the manual!? :confused: :lease:

I've been told the VCR and Sky box wont pass RGB so i cant put the DVD player after them in a chain.....might have to get a Scart switch box.

11. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been thinking about it and I'm sure it has 2 SCARTs as the model below it (HT520) has 2 SCARTs and I was roaming round Comet today with the missus looking for stuff for our new house when we move and the HT520 was only £239.
    There was even a 42" Samsung Plasma TV for £2000, and here's me with my Panasonic 42" plasma asking only £1700 :eek:

12. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Still not sure..all the reviews of the HT520 seem to indicate it has one RGB scart output only? spose i'll have to have a look in Comet at the HT520! :)

13. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or the HT870 if they have one ;)

14. Redeye UK

Redeye UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It only has 1 scart but the audio from the TV is sent back into the amp via the scart and can be heard when TV is selected on the amp. I think. I installed a Pana DVD surround system this week but didn't pay any attention to the model No.!... Just checked the web and it was an 870.

15. stu1972

stu1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pana TX32PD30 tv & SC-HT870 and mines set-up this way:

Component out from 870 to comp. in on PD30
    RGB scart out from STB to AV1 in on PD30
    Audio out from PD30 (rca's) to TV-IN input on HT870

As you can see the audio is carried thru the scart to the tv and then sent by rca leads into the 870. The reason behind this is that if i turn the STB off and it switches to normal TV, you dont have to switch over to another source input on the 870 e.g. from "TV" to "AUX".

If you have any questions about the 870 give me a shout and i'll try to answer them :)

Stu

16. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Cheers Stu! :)

btw (complete n00b question!) but whats STB?! :blush:

17. stu1972

stu1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Set Top Box i.e Freeview

:)

Stu

18. mercedesjb

mercedesjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi ,
    i am purchasing scht870 system. the problems with trying to wire up vcr?

i am upgrading to sky+ there is a special offer on the go at moment.

if you have sky+ 20hours record time - record 2 programmes whilst watching another - time slip etc,but most importantly i believe when wired up you will be able to watch sky films and record? in 5.1 dolby digital - thus perhaps moving away from vcr?

19. veyiyere

veyiyere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,

Could anyone here tell me where I can download Panasonic SC-HT870 English manual for my system??? The only manual that came with mine is in Dutch and I dont understand it all. I'll really appreciate a link or the file itself, pls.

Thanks.
    Vikki.