Setup problem with Denon 3802

S

spycon69

I have connected both s-video & composite plugs in the monitor-out plugs of denon. I 've tried to access the setup menu without results. Any help ?

clockworks

Novice Member
I use the S-Video monitor output on my 3802, and it works no problem. Are you sure that your TV is set to accept an S-Video input?
If you are using an S-Video to scart cable, make sure that it's actually S-Video to scart, not scart to S-Video - these things only work in one direction (unless thay have a switch built-in).
I assume that you are using the remote control to access the setup menus?

S

spycon69

thanks for the reply. I have connected both monitor outputs (s-video & composite) to the projector and both work fine with other settings. The problem is that I cannot access the setup menu from the remote although the remote seems to send the signal correctly. :(

andykn

Novice Member
Can you see the System Setup menu on the front of the receiver? If so, is the On Screen Display turned On in this menu?

S

spycon69

Nope !! Although the remote seems to transmit the signals correctly, nothing apppears on the receiver. I tried the OSD button but nothing happens...

hoppaz

spycon69 said:
Nope !! Although the remote seems to transmit the signals correctly, nothing apppears on the receiver. I tried the OSD button but nothing happens...
Make sure the source displayed on the amp remote says AMP and nothing else then try the OSD button.

S

spycon69

hoppaz said:
Make sure the source displayed on the amp remote says AMP and nothing else then try the OSD button.
thanx
the source displayed on the amp says AMP. Tried that with all available options...

hoppaz

spycon69 said:
thanx
the source displayed on the amp says AMP. Tried that with all available options...
Sorry I didnt mean the on the amp but on the display on the remote. I remember my 3802 used to have two options on the remote when pressing the AMP button on it, one option would alter the radio channels ("receiver" I think was listed on the remote) and the second press of the amp button on the remote would change it to "amp" and allow you to access the OSD options if you get my drift.

S

spycon69

Thanks for the reply. I understood your point and "AMP" is listed on the remote when try to access the setup menu. I spoke yesterday with a technician from Denon and told me that probably the amp needs a hard reset. Any idea how its done ?

hoppaz

spycon69 said:
Thanks for the reply. I understood your point and "AMP" is listed on the remote when try to access the setup menu. I spoke yesterday with a technician from Denon and told me that probably the amp needs a hard reset. Any idea how its done ?
Not sure about the 3802 but found on the forum to reset a Denon A1SR hold down stereo and direct buttons on the front pannel (I cant remember if you have these as I have not had my 3802 for about a year now) and turn the power on. The display will flash and reset.

I doubt you can do any real serious damage by trying this combination on any amp and the proceedure is very similar to reseting my HK 430 amp.

S

spycon69

thnx hoppaz. I found 2 different "ways" in doing these. One is what you described and the other is by pressing the PCM & STEREO buttons while turning the amp on...i'll try & see...what worst can happen ?? ;-)

andykn

Novice Member
Annoyingly, what the rest of the world calls a "reset to factory defaults", Denon call "Initialization of the Microprocessor".

Power on the unit with AUTO and PCM held down. The entire display should flash about once a second and you can release the buttons.

S

spycon69

thanx...i'll try this tonight & keep you posted...this is a very strange thing though...i mean what happened to this amp...

S

spycon69

I tried the hard reset which completed succesfully. No results though on the osd of the amp. Any ideas on the osd on/off function ?

hoppaz

spycon69 said:
I tried the hard reset which completed succesfully. No results though on the osd of the amp. Any ideas on the osd on/off function ?
Are you definately connecting to one of the highlighted connectors?

Perhaps the easiest to make sure your tv isnt a prob is to connect via the amp to a portable CRT tv

Attachments

S

spycon69

Thnx for the reply.
I have connected the 2 lower outputs (s-video & composite) to the tv/projector.

The thing is that the lcd screen on the remote shows all functions properly. The osd is probably turned off and I do not know the way to turn it on again.

hoppaz

spycon69 said:
Thnx for the reply.
I have connected the 2 lower outputs (s-video & composite) to the tv/projector.

The thing is that the lcd screen on the remote shows all functions properly. The osd is probably turned off and I do not know the way to turn it on again.
If I recall you can do set the amp up using the front display. Do you have the manual? Look to see if there is an option to turn the OSD on/off via the amp display. If you don't have the manual I might have it as a PDF somewhere.

S

spycon69

I do have the manual but there is no topic for setting up the amp from the amp display.

andykn

Novice Member
The manual is a bit vague as to whether the system setup menu should appear on the receiver's display or not.

I take it that you can see a normal picture fed into the Amp via composite or S Vid but nothing happens when you press the Setup button on the remote with Amp showing on the remote. Other remote commands work OK?

hoppaz

andykn said:
The manual is a bit vague as to whether the system setup menu should appear on the receiver's display or not.

I take it that you can see a normal picture fed into the Amp via composite or S Vid but nothing happens when you press the Setup button on the remote with Amp showing on the remote. Other remote commands work OK?
What I meant was if I recall you could set-up the distance, small/large speakers, delay, channel levels using the amps display (which is basically what the OSD does) so I though there might be an OSD on/off option somewhere when you go through the setup using the amp display

S

spycon69

andykn said:

EXACTLY !

S

spycon69

hoppaz said:
What I meant was if I recall you could set-up the distance, small/large speakers, delay, channel levels using the amps display (which is basically what the OSD does) so I though there might be an OSD on/off option somewhere when you go through the setup using the amp display
Yes, I tried that also...tried different combination, buttons, etc...no result:(

hoppaz

spycon69 said:
EXACTLY !
Does you get a blue (I think it was) background when viewing through composite/s-video?

I am trying to establish if it just ins't working (amp fault) or a wrong setting.

S

spycon69

Yes that is correct. I seen a blue background when select either s-video or composite source.

hoppaz

spycon69 said:
Yes that is correct. I seen a blue background when select either s-video or composite source.
Well in some way it is working. iirc the background is blue and the text white on the OSD on the denon.

I am wondering if the signal from the amp is not being recognised by the projector. I recall you mentioned you connected a tv. Was it an old crt type or a new lcd / plasma?

hoppaz

Just thinking have you put the source on the amp to DVD and tried the OSD.

Try dvd as the source and select a suitable surround mode that would use the 5.1 then try the OSD. I know on my HK if you select a source like cd and turn the surround mode off the OSD differs to that when I select a 5.1 source like dvd on the amp.

S

spycon69

hoppaz said:
Just thinking have you put the source on the amp to DVD and tried the OSD.

Try dvd as the source and select a suitable surround mode that would use the 5.1 then try the OSD. I know on my HK if you select a source like cd and turn the surround mode off the OSD differs to that when I select a 5.1 source like dvd on the amp.
The tv was an lcd and tried both s-video & video outputs without result.
I will try to select a surround mode and then OSD to see what happens although I am so optimistic anymore.
I heard from a friend of mine that if the amp has a backup battery inside (in order to store radio stations, settings etc) it might be dead (since the amp was off the plug for a period of 4+ months) and therefore causes all this trouble.

Do you know anything on this ?

J

jbertsch

I am having the exact same problem. Were you able to resolve and if so how?

J

jbertsch

My receiver has been uplugged for almost a year. Coincidence or is there something to this backup battery thing.

S

spycon69

Unfortunately no. The amp is in service. There is no backup battery and the problem is a malfunctioning transistor on the board. I will pick up on Friday & let you know...