1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

setup of my Arcam / Pioneer system for CD

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by alfablue, May 7, 2004.

Tags:
  1. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m confused about the best setup with this kit – I think my listening tests show a difference but I cannot actually work out what sounds best. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I have a Pioneer VSX-D812 AV receiver, a Pioneer DV-656A DVD player, and Arcam Alpha 6 Amp and Alpha 6 CD player, going into Eltax Chroma floorstanders (and surrounds and sub of course).

I thought the best for CD quality would be to run both the Arcam components to the speakers.

The other options are:

* Arcam CD to Pio receiver via analogue or digital

* Pio DVD to Arcam amp via analogue

* Or forget the whole Arcam adventure and play CD's on the Pio's

Is the Arcam just too long in the tooth now, and the Pio setup should beat it????

(I am using Mark Grant interconnects, and QED Silver Anniversary speaker cable)

I think I can detect some slight tizziness from the Arcam amp - not sure...

Which would you go for?

I suppose I would expect the Arcam transport to be better, but would the Pio receiver DAC be better (it's more advanced, I guess), and how would the Pio receiver DAC compare with the Pio DVD DAC or would they be equally good?

Also, I thought I could run the Arcam from the pre-outs for the fronts on the Pio receiver, but it seems to suggest I need to disconnect all the speakers from the Pio for this to work. I am getting no output anyway. Any ideas on how to get around this IF its worth doing?

2. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As long as the arcam amp works ok.
    The best setup for music (IMHO) would be to run your front speakers using the arcam amp and connect the pre outs on the 812 to the arcam (As you suggested).

Then connect the cd player directly to the arcam amp and connect the dvd player to the pioneer.

The only downside is when watching dvds boths amps have to be on and you have to remember what volume setting the arcam has to be on to match the receiver volume.

Not sure why you get no output, normally the preouts are always outputing even with speakers plugged in. ?

3. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jimmy

Re: preouts, the manual says "Note: to hear sound only from the preouts, disconnect any speakers that are connected". But like you say, they should be outputting all the time - can't work this out...