Setup help please.

mrbigishome

Standard Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year to all the members.
I have a Panasonic Plasma TV TX-P46G15B, which doesn't sound great so I bought an Onkyo TX-NR515 AV unit.
Ok so far. I have my Xbox, Blu Ray player and laptop connected to the Onkyo via HDMI. My Sky box is connected directly to the TV as it doesn't have HDMI. I know I could connect it to the Onkyo but I am hoping to upgrade soon to a HD model which will use HDMI. The Onkyo is then connected to my TV via HDMI.
My problem is I don't know how to get my TV's sound to play via the Onkyo AV unit. All my components that are connected to the Onkyo sound wonderful, then I switch to Sky or Freesat/Freeview and I am back to sad TV speaker sound. What do I need to do? Is it connect with a TOSLink optical cable between TV and AV unit or am I missing a setting that allows it to go through the HDMI cable that is connecting them already.
It would be so nice to have the New Year start with surround sound.
I hope someone can help.

Your TV has an S/PDIF optical audio output. Connect this to the AV receiver's TV optical audio input. You can now use the AV receiver to process and amplify the audio sourced from the TV by selecting the TV source input.

Yes, a Toslink optical cable would be the type of cable you need.

Thank you. I will order one up and give it a go.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom