1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setup for Tosh equipment and SKY+

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Mike246, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Having originated the most viewed thread know to man - Getting my 32WL48 tomorrow, 25,000 hits and still going I need something in return.

I need to connect my SKY+ box, Tosh tele and Tosh home cinema kit together. I wanna use scart between the SKY+ box and the tele, then I believe the sound from the tele runs via fixed-output phono connections (L & R) to the home cinema kit.

That way whatever source is on the tele, the correct feed goes to the cinema kit. Right.

But if the SKY source is Dolby 5.1, how will the multi-channel sound info find its way?

2. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi Mike246!

Does your Tosh home cinema amp have an digital optical input for 5.1 sound? If so and assuming you have the right lead with the correct connectors at each end you will be able hook up the Sky+ to your home cinema kit. When you are getting 5.1 sound you'll probably need to turn off the tv speakers as you'll already be getting stereo sound at the same time as the multichannel.

Hope this helps.

May I ask you a question? Have you programmed your sky+ remote to control the 32WL48? Which code are you using if so?

Many thanks,
    Mark

3. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Deep,

Yes, both the SKY+ and Tosh home cinema have optical. The 'cabling' distance will be about 7 metres but I can get a 10m optical cable. Should I do this, rather than connect the TV fixed output to the home cinema via phonos?

The SKY+ remote is programmed to the 32WL48 and works a treat. Unfortunately I do not know the code as the SKY man did it all.

4. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi

I would stick with the optical cable approach from the sky+ box to the home cinema amp. When you are watching something on the movie channel and the sky+ is set to output dobly digital you'll get 5.1 sound. You wont need the phono out from the TV to the amp unless you really want terrestrial tv sound to come through the home cinema speakers. Since it will only be NICAM you can just stick with the tv's own speakers.

Since the scart from the sky+ box already carries sound (assusming its not an rgb video only cable), for those times when you cant be bothered to switch the amp on, you'll get the stereo from the tv speakers. Anything else (xbox, etc) you may have with an digital optical (or coax if the amp supports that) out should go to the amp for 5.1 sound

From what I gather about your setup you dont need the phono out from the tv at all, so you can ditch that and save running these cables, you'll only get stereo at best I believe, defintely not Dolby Digital.

Hope this isn't too much to take in at this time of night!

As for the sky+ remote, well, I've just been too lazy watching the actual tv to bother digging out thy sky+ handbook and testing codes :)

It really is a nice screen, thanks for starting that other thread! :clap:

(by the way, if anyone is thinking of buying a Creative Zen Micro over an Ipod mini, do it...the micro is a very very nice device, I bought one today!)

5. Nick37

Nick37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mike 246

I would m8 i have my sky+ on optical into my phillips home cinema the sound is amazing even when i watch a recording.I also have my dvd recorder on coaxal & going to put the Tosh on phono leads to the amp so i can control all the sound through the amp as my remote caters for all 3.I think all i need to do is to turn the speakers off in the menu on the Tosh.As for the sky+ remote looking for the code myself if i find it i'll post it here for everyone cheers.