Setup for BT TX for headset with TV and Denon AVR-X2300W

mossi2000

Hi,

I'm new here. I'm looking for a solution for my desired setup.
I'm german, living in France, being a computer science engineer.

I owned a Panasonic Plasma 42" TV which I exchanged for an LG OLED 55" CX9LA a few weeks ago.
I have a Denon X2300W in a 5.1 installation and some other devices (Linux SAT Receiver, BD Player, amazon TV Firestick) connected to it
all via HDMI.
The TV is connected through HDMI 2 (eARC) to Denon Monitor 1 ARC input.
Works as expected with HDMI CEC switching both on/off.

A year ago (old TV) I wanted to connect a BT 5.0 transmitter to also get the sound on my BT headset. (parallel)
Reason: My wife always thinks that I turn up the sytem too loud, and she doesn't like the subwoofer. (really great in a 40 m2 saloon!)
And when my mother in law is here for a visit my wife and her often start to discuss/talk while the film/crime is just interesting or
someone not talking loud. I just want to look and hear the film. :)
Seems I'm getting older.. my ears are starting to show degradation... ;-)

Basically: I just want to have sound from any source being currently played via the Denon to arrive at the BT Transmitter parallel to speaker output.

So I bought: A BT 5.0 Transmitter / Receiver with TOSLINK input (Amazon product) and an HDMI Audio Extractor Box from germany based company FeinTech (Ultra-HD HDMI Audio Extractor VAX00102 mit ARC | FeinTech) and put it all together.
TV ARC <--> VAX00102 HDMI IN <--> Denon Monitor 1
VAX Toslink out <--> BT TX in
Result: NO Sound, in any mode (ARC ON/OFF; HDMI downgrade...)
OK, no time to investigate, had some larger works around the house....

Connecting the BT Transmitter to analog headphones out (Denon) is NOT a solution, since this will disrupt output tot the speakers, :-(

Now with the new TV I tried again. Same result, I exchanged the HDMI cables to 4K ARC and..and... capable ones (had to use a longer one for connecting
TV and AVR anyway, because the connectors are on the left side of the TV and the AVR is on the right side and the cable should pass along the
new TV wall mount...)

I checked that the Audio Extractor works: Put between my PC and my 4K PC screen with speakers,
the TOSLINK shows actvity (red) and the BT transmits the sound.(in contrast to the connection AVR/ TV where the TOSLINK cable remains dark/not lit)

Finally I contacted Feintech and explained my problem and asked for possible solution. A tech guy wrote me WHY my configuration does not work, but added no solution.
1. Reason: ARC is a point-to-point connection and the AudioExtractor in the middle will "kill" the ARC transmission.
2. The BT Transmitter can only handle Stereo and I would have to set the source to PCM / Stereo.

Can anyone point me to a working solution?

Perhaps connecting TV to a separate HDMI input or using TV TOSLINK out to Denon TV Audio Toslink IN.
Or a HDMI Splitter to get the signal to the Audio Extractor.

Regarding Stereo on BT Tx: I thought that if the BT Transmitter is having a TOSLINK In, it should be able to convert this to / extract stereo audio.

Anyone already having solved this HDMI sound mystery? Or can explain what's happening/why some things can't/won't work.

Axel

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Your sources will send both sound and video to the amp, which will process the audio for playback on your speakers and pass just the video to the screen. That's why the extractor doesn't appear to work as there's no audio present.

If this was an either or scenario there is a setting in the amps menus (labelled HDMI audio HDMI Setup AVR-X2300W) to choose either AVR or TV which would route audio and video to the TV through the extractor, however you can't choose both at the same time so your speakers won't work. You might be able to use the headphones and TV speakers together though which might suit your other half.

The extractor you linked does claim to support ARC so if you could connect your sources to the TV instead of the amp you might get a working system but you'd lose some or all of the surround formats doing that.

gibbsy

A year ago (old TV) I wanted to connect a BT 5.0 transmitter to also get the sound on my BT headset. (parallel)
Reason: My wife always thinks that I turn up the sytem too loud, and she doesn't like the subwoofer. (really great in a 40 m2 saloon!)
And when my mother in law is here for a visit my wife and her often start to discuss/talk while the film/crime is just interesting or
someone not talking loud. I just want to look and hear the film. :)
Seems I'm getting older.. my ears are starting to show degradation... ;-)
My sympathy for your plight. I know the situation very well indeed.

You will have to use the headphone jack out of the Denon to a transmitter for wireless headphones. The amp will automatically mute the speakers so there will be no audio for anyone else to listen to as outlined above.

mossi2000

Hi,
thanks for the answers so far.
The headphone output is a no-go.

On thing I thought I could try is TV-Audio Out via TOSLink to Denon TOSlink Audio in, and TV connected to Denon Monitor 1. (Disabling ARC on the TV)
If the Denon would then output the sound on Monitor1 for all sources except TV, the Audio Extractor connected to Monitor 1 should get a signal and I could switch to the SAT Receiver as source, if I want to use headsets while watching TV....
I think I could try this without TOSLink cable first, to see if the theory has a working base in practice...

Then I will need to buy a longer TOSlink cable first which is a bit complicated/bound to delays due to current Corona lockdown and Xmas holidays in Germany (where I get 99% of my tech equipment from).
Let's see.

From a computer/electronics viewpoint I can't see why it should be SO DIFFICULT to output/copy an unidirectional digital signal via an output buffer chip...

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom