1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setup for £900?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Seth, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Seth

Seth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment i have a Pioneer 535 dvd player and im borrowing a mates Digitheatre (not dts). As a student im getting a house in september and am going to rent a nice telly.

Now i need the setup to go with it, what can i get for £900 and i want 6 speakers a Sub, and an amp, i could maybe stretch to £1000 as a very maximum which must include wires, im going for an August buy so if there are some new models out soon, please tell.

Also, is my player gonna be good enough or do i need a new one or will it suffice till christmas?

**Nearly forgot, i want 6:1 ES EX DTS etc.all the future formats**

Ive seen so many players that do this, £300 for the sony 1070 surley is the one to be had? Or a cheap 3802,but then not too much left for speakers, i leave it in your expert hands?

2. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi!

Denon 3802 £ 660 Hifijunkies.co.uk, Mission Cinema 72 £283 qed-uk.com plus extra set of m7ds £130 hifijunkies.co.uk to give you 7 speakers. Unfortunately No Sub yet but try this first and save up for the Sub.

Good luck

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mission 773e's, Mission 77c1 centre& Mission 77ds rears £400 the lot from Richers sounds. Then the 1070 that brings u up to £700.
    £200 left for sub, but then you want another rear. May i suggest buying a didgeridoo and blowing that to recreate the sub or better still get another £200

4. WSC

WSC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try this:

Marantz 5200 ~ £350
    Cinema 72 package ~£283 from QED
    Extra centre speaker ~ £72
    PDR 10 sub ~ £150 from Richer (supposed to be a good starter)

TOTAL 855

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The system suggested by WSC looks quite good. I don't want to disagree with Sean as he is probably bigger than me with all those pies that he eats but if offered the choice of the extra rears or a sub I would go for the sub every time.

7.1 is wonderful in theory but not everyone lives in a home cinema shaped house and fitting in the extra speaker(s) could be difficult aspecially as you don't yet know what shape house you will be living in at the end of the year.

There is no such thing as a cheap Denon 3802 and anything due out shortly will be expensive as you are more likely to make your budget go further by buying something established yet future proofed.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nah, i think the missions are a better buy at £400 then get the dennon . Oh, and a pie if theres any change.

7. Seth

Seth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find it strange that when i asked this question a few months back with a considerable less budget people still suggest you spend more, you save up and they do the same...

Ok say i only wanted 5 speakers and a sub, but i want the amp to be able to do 6.1, what would you all suggest, if different obsivley?

Cheers, i appreciate the advice...:D

8. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You have a tight budget but want good speakers & a good receiver.

My suggestion if your tight for money is to get either GOOD speakers and a temp AMP or vice Versa. At least that way you only feel you could have done better with a part of your kit. Also as a student coming up to end of yeah exams what a better method to motivate you than to persuade you parents to offer an upgrade for kit pending on results.... ;)

Doesnt make sense in my mind to buy halfway-house speakers & Amp.

As for always being told to spend more... its the law of increasing desires.

On the other hand why blow the extra cash on a 6.1 ES amp when you cant afford the speakers to listen to the 5.1

How about the 2802 and a KHT 2005 speaker set. Would set you back about £1.1 at the current prices but you say you're not going to buy until AUGUST!!!! might want to put off some of the thinking until June when you might have a better idea of what speaker packages / Amps are on offer.

Equally you could look at picking up a used 3801 or similar

9. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I reckon WSC has the 6.1 setup cracked there to be honest - although not too sure about such cheap subs.

Single Mission m7c1 centres (as found in the Mission Cinema 72 AV package) can be bought for £72 at QED.

If you only wanted the five speakers for now, I would recommend - as already mentioned - the Mission Cinema 7 AV package from Richer Sounds for £400. Personally this is the route I would take, and forget about a cheap sub. Sub's are expensive for a reason and cheap subs just aren't worth it. You could always save for a decent sub after getting the basic setup. Centres aren't very expensive either, and it shouldn't be a problem to add a rear centre at any time. But this is just me of course.

As for your DVD player - I've had the same model for ages now, and it's still as great a player as many same-level models coming out today. The player has a great picture and excellent sound. Shame about the low number of digital outs though.

10. WSC

WSC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Pointon. If you only go 5 speakers now I too would go for the Mission 7 pack. Great value for only 400 of the valuables (380 with a What Hi-Fi mag). The Marantz is a good solid middle Amp. It has not got all the features of the 3802 but most normal mortals will never use it anyway (especially on a student grant - unless dad or mum happen to be MD of ICI or similar). The 5200 has also had great reviews from Home Entertainment and What Hi-Fi.

As for the sub I think that even a cheap one adds thrills for the whizz bang movies - the thrills of the T-Rex or similar are good. Sure to get a "good" one costs £500 or similar - but lets keep our feet in the real world.

So for 5.1 with 6.1 available:

Marantz - 350
    Mission 7 - 380
    Paradigm PDR100 - 150

Total - 880 - Can't say fairer than that guv.

Go and listen to what it sounds like!

OR wait until July when you have the dosh and see what's around

Hope you get what you like.

11. ice_cool

ice_cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i spent £750 on the missions about 3 years ago, sold them for £330 last month. I had a crash on the way to get the fronts with my wife. Double whiplash (VERY MILD) ,double claim £3 GRAND each. There a nice set of speakers