1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setup Conundrum

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by meep, May 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi All,

My b4 pj arrived yesterday (Sony 1271) and am I pleased! No screen yet so projecting at a wall.

Spent about 3 hours following the technical manual set-up and convergence instructions and now have a fantastic 8'x6' image (still lots of tweaking to be done but DVDs playing back from my (still under construction) HTPC are mightly impressive.

I guess I'm just going through the initial "wow, look at the size of that picture" phase and will see faults after time.

However, for future newbies persuing these boards wondering what all this set-up and convergence lark is about - don't be intimidated. It's not THAT difficult to get to grips with initially - though I can see how people like Roland and Gordon break it down into 70% common sense, 20% expertise and 10% fairy dust! I'm probably at 50% just now!

Anyway, I'm now waiting for my screen material to arrive. I'm going for either a 7' or 8' wide 16:9 screen (subject to tests). My current question is this;

When converging for the 16:9 screen, should I converge as if it were a 4:3 aspect ratio (with vertical test patterns extending above and below the actual screen) or should I SIZE the vertical dimensions down to fit the reduced relative height?

I've seen some discusion on this already on this and alternative boards but have not come across a definitive answer.

Thanks in advance

Peter

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hey who are you calling a Fairy.:p

Glad it arrived OK. still waiting for the shipping number ;) but not a lot of use now.

As regards set up to PC.
    Most people set the DVD image to fill the whole screen then reduce the vertical height to get a 16x9 image. that way you will use all of the resolution of the PC.

To show 4x3 material window this within the 16x9 screen.

For the Sony 1271 I woud run it at 800x600 to start with. 72hz for NTSC and 75Hz for PAL.

Down load this though it will helpd with the set up

http://freepctech.com/rode/004.shtml

3. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Thanks for that Roland but I'm still not clear in my mind regarding steup.

Assuming I've got a 16:9 ration screen, when doing size and lin setup on the projector should I be aiming for a situation as in the attachment where the pj limits are set to a "virtual" 4:3 screen with the same with as my physical screen or .......(see next message for alternate scenario attachment)

Attached Files:

4. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    (continued from previous message).......

A situation as in the attachment where I SIZE the vertical axis height to suit the physical screen dimensions.

Bear in mind I'm driving from a HTPC where I have complet control over input resolution and aspect ratio.

Hope this makes sense!

Peter

Attached Files:

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    You want to do B: ie You'll end up with horizontal size near full and vertical near minimum.

Have fun....

Gordon

6. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Thanks Gordon, much appreciated

Peter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.