Setup advice wanted for Denon AVC-X3700 AV Receiver

burrenyoga

Standard Member
Hi,
I am looking for advice how to connect speakers (and also USB Stick) to a new Denon AVC-X3700 AV Receiver.

I am from an older age group, so am not familiar with the newer music systems.

I want to use a very simple initial setup where I have 8 speakers in the ceiling and no sub woofer. I plan to add a sub woofer in a few months time.

And to be able to play music from a USB stick in stereo. There is no TV, and currently there is no network connection.

All the speakers are polk audio rc80i which are compatible with 8 Ohm amplifiers.

Questions:

Do I connect the 8 speakers to
  • Front (R)
  • Front (L)
  • Leave Centre empty ?
  • Surround (R)
  • Surround (L)
  • Surround (Back R)
  • Surround (Back L)
  • Height 1 (R)
  • Height 2 (L)
  • Height 2 ( R )
  • Height 2 (L)

After connecting the speakers, do I need to do anything else?

Can I simply insert a USB Stick that has the MP3 files on it? The same USB stick works fine in another Denon Ceol RCDN10.

When I insert the USB, and back out of the menu for Setup with TV… and then press USB… nothing seems to happen.

How can I get the MP3 files to play on the USB stick?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

dante01

Distinguished Member
Firstly, you'd be ill advised to have all your speakers on the ceiling. You'd only locate Atmos and or DTS:X effects speakers on a ceiling and the maximum number of speakers of this type that your AV receiver can deal with is 4. THe more conventional speakers need to be ideally located at what would be your seated head height around where you'd be sat.

You can omit the centre if you wish. Many prefer to include it in order to lock dialogue to a screen though. THe larger the screen then the more adventageous a centre speaker would be. Again, this shouldn't be on the ceiling though.

Your AV receiver is a 9 channel model and only able to drive 9 speakers max witout you then having to add another 2 channels of external amplification to drive additional sprakers. THe speakers you've listed ad up to 10 speakers in total.

You can eeither have 1 5.1.4 setup or a 7.1.2 setup without having to add more ampliufication. This means having 5.1 speakers at floor level and 4 on the ceiling or a 7.1 floor layout with just 2 on the ceiling:

by default 2021-06-14 at 10.44.47.png

by default 2021-06-14 at 10.33.36.png

Note that having all the speakers on the ceiling simply will not work as intended.

After the speakers are all connected then you'd be advised to run the AV receiver's Audyssey calibration process. THis will level the speakers relative to your listening location as well as deal with trying to correct any audio anomalies associated with that room's acoustics.

The manual deals with this as well as other issues you've raised.

Yes, you can store music files on a USB drive and then use the AV receiver's USB input to access those files. The drive has to be formatted as a Fat32 or a NTFS volume. You'd select USB as the source and then use the AV receiver's interface to navigate to the file directory. You'd use theAV receiver to play the files and not your TV.

by default 2021-06-14 at 10.56.32.png
by default 2021-06-14 at 10.55.36.png

by default 2021-06-14 at 10.56.05.png

Attachments

• by default 2021-06-14 at 10-1.55.36.png
    by default 2021-06-14 at 10-1.55.36.png
    318.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

gibbsy

The set up wizard on the X3700 will guide you through the correct speaker connections. However, as has been pointed out above, having all your speakers in the ceiling is without doubt the worse positioning you can have.

All your speakers apart from those in the Atmos domain should be at a seated head height with the surrounds a little bit above. If you do not do this then there will not be the required separation of the base level speakers and those in the Atmos domain. You will lose what is intended in a 3D audio bubble.

If you insist on ceiling speakers then go for a 7.1 set up and forget Atmos as it just won't work and be a complete waste of money.

burrenyoga

Standard Member
Hi Dante,
Thank you for your advice, and I fully understand what you are saying.

However due to the room layout and use, we already have 8 speakers installed in the ceiling.

We cannot change them now. They are fixed in place.

Could you advise how do I set these 8 speakers up with the Denon AV receiver? I assume I connect them they way I explained, leaving out the centre?

After that... do I then use the Audyssey calibration process?

And how to setup so I can play MP3 files from the USB stick? The drive is Fat32 and works fine on another Denon system. Is there a step by step way on how to Navigate to play the MP3 files?

Best Wishes,
Dave

dante01

Distinguished Member
AS suggested by Gibbsy, you'd be best advised to forget 3D immersive setups such as Atmos and go with a 7.1 setup instead.

This would have :

1 centre speaker
A left and right front speaker
2 surrounds
2 back surrounds

plus an active sub.

Try to connect the speakers that best correspond to the locations shown here to the terminals approriately labelled on the AV receiver:

by default 2021-06-14 at 11.07.13.png

unoduo

So you just want to listen to music (from usb) through your 8 ceiling speakers & you don’t have a tv or other display connected to the Denon?

burrenyoga

Standard Member
Yes. I have 8 speakers setup in the ceiling, in a grid of 2 x 4. I am hoping to get a stereo sound from each of the 4 pairs of speakers. And I only want to listen to MP3 from the USB stick.

Since the helpful replies above... I have managed to get the MP3 files to play... but they are only coming out of the 2 speakers atthe back of the grid... as far as I remember.. connected to Height 1 right and Height 1 left.

(Update: A friend wired the speakers... so it is possible the sound is coming from the Front Left and Right)

As I have 8 speakers... I am guessing I need to setup up a speaker configuration of 9.1 But just have 8 speakers and no sub woofer?

Any advice how to get the sound to come from all 8 speakers?

Last edited:

unoduo

You‘re going to need to setup your receiver so it knows what speakers you have connected & then use the relevant sound field such as “multi channel stereo“ (page 132 in manual) to get sound from all your speakers.

It is possible to connect a tv or computer monitor (with hdmi) to the receiver just while you get everything setup? It would be much easier to use the onscreen menus rather than the small front display.

Last edited:

burrenyoga

Standard Member
I have a laptop with HDMI connection. But difficult to get at the back of the receiver as it sits inside a small cabinet.

Page 132 (on my downloaded PDF manual of AVC-X3700H owners manual ) is about Playback and has a table with Input Multi-channel *5. It is possible that my PDF manual may be different to yours? Which manual are you referring to? Maybe I can donwload that version?

Is there anywhere that explains what the basic steps are... which buttons to press... to let the receiver know which speakers I have connected?

SeanBrothers

This can be achieved by using a 7.1 setup and switching to the "Multi Channel Stereo" sound mode.

[Sorry. Repeat of advice above.]

burrenyoga

Standard Member
>This can be achieved by using a 7.1 setup and switching to the "Multi Channel Stereo" sound mode.

So I have connected the 8 speakers to the receiver as described in my first post.

Now what do I have to do to achieve this 7.1 setup?

Do I press 'Setup'? Are there instructions that explain what the steps are?

unoduo

I have a laptop with HDMI connection. But difficult to get at the back of the receiver as it sits inside a small cabinet.

Page 132 (on my downloaded PDF manual of AVC-X3700H owners manual ) is about Playback and has a table with Input Multi-channel *5. It is possible that my PDF manual may be different to yours? Which manual are you referring to? Maybe I can donwload that version?

Is there anywhere that explains what the basic steps are... which buttons to press... to let the receiver know which speakers I have connected?
Sorry starting page 122 titled “selecting a sound mode”.

The receiver does have a simplified “setup assistant” interface when connected to a display - hence my question earlier. You won’t be able use a laptop I’m afraid.

decto

I think you have set yourself a real challenge here.

An AV Receiver is designed to be used with a screen, or you may be able to use the app / internet connection. Modern AVR's are just not designed to be used without a screen or internet connect which seems to be how you want to configure it.

Are you using this is in a domestic setup?
Will a TV be attached later? E.g is the stereo music temporary before moving to surround sound.

As is, it sounds more like this is a clubhouse, party room install and you want to take advantage of having 8 channels rather than to use for it's design purpose of surround sound. Stereo audio through 4 pairs of ceiling speakers is unlikely to be hifi quality due to speaker to speaker interactions.

I expect you will need to connect a screen for a short while, at least to be able to configure the unit. And even if you never expect to install a TV, adding a small screen into the cabinet would make usage and trouble shooting a lot easier when you have a fat finger moment. Example HDMI screens range from 7-10" though you many need to check the receiver can output to these low resolutions.

If it is a clubhouse type install, something like this Denon and a couple of pass through amps would be more robust, most amps can power 2 pair of 8 ohm speakers and the whole lot would work out less expensive.

SeanBrothers

Connecting a TV temporarily would certainly be easiest, but, if that's not an option, I believe the front display on x3700 should give you sufficient ability to set up the receiver using the Setup button on the remote: Setup => Speakers => Manual Setup.

Given that there's no main listening point, you should probably set the speaker distances to the same value.

DaveWillo

If it's possible to gain the IP address of the AVR from the front display in the settings/network menu, you can enter this into a web browser and perform the setup using your laptop.

burrenyoga

Standard Member
Thanks for your helpful suggestions!

I managed to get it setup using the manual setup under 9.1 Channel (7.1ch was not presented as an option) and sound Multi Channel Stereo. I set the 'centre speaker' to none, and all other 8 speakers to large. All 8 speakers now work in stereo.

And the USB stick works fine too.

I learned that the system is quite slow. So after pressing USB, I have to wait 5 or more seconds before it displays the name... in order to select the name of the receiver... and after that I can browse folders etc.

It is a domestic setup, and a network connection will be installed soon, so that we can also listen to internet radio. I realize that only having ceiling speakers will not give the best sound, but we had no choice due to the design and function of this room.

Can anybody advise is it possible to somehow improve the sound using Multi Channel Stereo by changing settings such as Height, Dolby Sp, Layout, Distance

There is no set 'listening point' in the room which is 7 metres x 11 metres, and the ceiling is approx 3.5 m high.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom