Setup advice please!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by greigym, Feb 4, 2009.

1. greigym

greigym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all - Ive done a bit of homework using the site and have to say the content is great but perhaps a little overwhelming to someone as unknowledgable as myself!! I was wondering if someone could asnswer a few questions to make sure I get the best out of my set up? I have a Samsung HD tv, Standard Sky box, Yamaha DSP-A1 amp, Samsung BluR player, Roth Floorstanders, Kef egg rears and a Mission centre speaker.....Im using an optical cable from sky to the amp, HDMI from BR player to TV (picture), optical from BR player to amp (sound). I presume these are the best options but wondered what was best for signal from Sky to TV? Ive tried S-vid to S-vid but there seems to be signal interference? I then tried scart to component (3 phono) and that seems to work without interference. With regards speaker cable....I aim to get QED micro for the rears. For the 2 floorstanders and centre im totally unsure as I was weighing up either 2nd hand cable against new? Any thoughts that can help?!!?!!

2. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    For sky (you must have sky+ as standard boxes don't have an optical output), the best output is fully wired scart to RGB compatible scart input on TV. Make sure the Sky+ is set to output RGB over scart. At a guess your current connection is composite (not component, as unless your using a convertor, sky can't output component). Composite is about the worse video connection you can use.

3. greigym

greigym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ok - so I need to buy a scart to RGB cable and set sky to output in that way? It needs to be about a 3m length which I presume is ok?

Any thoughts on the speaker cable? Ive been looking at the QED range although Vanne Damme seem to be highly rated but offer many different types. I was reading up on bi-wiring as well but not sure that is the way to go for a surround sound set up?

4. greigym

greigym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Help! Ive just googled scart to RGB and it has come up with 2 alternatives....

scart to RGB - scart at one end and phono type connectors, red, green and blue at the other.

scart to RGB - scart at one end and scart at the other.

My TV will take both so which is best for a 3/4m run?

Thanks

5. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    SCART to SCART but make sure you use the 'TV' SCART out put on the Sky box and that Sky is set to output RGB. Also check that the socket you use on the TV supports RGB in, not all do.

If you want to take sound to the TV over SCART then make sure you do not buy an 'RGB only' SCART cable as they omit the extra wires for sound with the intent of improving video signal quality.

6. greigym

greigym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ok - SCART to SCART it is then!

Many Thanks

7. greigym

greigym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just one more question - why on many websites do they list it as Scart to RGB when it is Scart to Scart?

8. greigym

greigym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ignore my last question - I seem to have done enough digging around to find out the answer! Would anyone know where I could get a 5 metre Scart to RGB cable that isnt huge anounts of money?

9. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Just for the sake of clarity, are you looking for an RGB only SCART cable, a fully wired SCART cable or something else as 'SCART to RGB' doesn't make sense.

Just remember that SCART is a termination type not a signal type and it all gets a lot easier :)

A fully wired SCART cable can carry two channels of sound along with composite, S-Video, RGB and more rarely component video signals.

10. greigym

greigym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I basically have the audio taken care of through the amp so the TV is just being used as a display device. The TV has 2 scart sockets and RGB (phono type) inputs available. I have Sky+ and just wanted to make sure im using the correct cable to give the best picture quality. I need at least a 4m cable and really wasnt banking on paying a huge amount of cash but if its worthwhile I will do? It looks like the 5m Scart to Scart (RGB) cables are quite a bit of cash!

11. greigym

greigym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    To add.....could I use a scart to 3 phono (Red, Green, Blue) "type" or are these generally not as good as scart to scart?

12. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    No you can't use them with Sky+ as it doesn't output component (thats the red, green, and blue connection) over scart. Very few devices do!

You need either a fully wired scart to scart or a Scart to Scart wired for RGB only.

13. greigym

greigym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ok - It looks like a proper 5m SCART wired for RGB is a lot of money compared to a fully wired 5m SCART lead. Im guessing that "fully wired" has scope for interpretation by the company advertising the lead!

I think the fully wired range from £1 - £40
    and the RGB at £80+

I guess im sticking to chancing the fully wired!

14. greigym

greigym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  15. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,385
    Yep thats fine.
    The theory behind an RGB only scart lead is that only the appropriate Pins are wired (i.e no sound, composite or other connections), supposed to minimise interference from the other signals. Although I have a QED one that would have normally cost about £60 (I acquired it and wouldn't actually pay this) and a cheap fully wired scart, I can't tell the difference. The RGB ones tend to be pricey because its only the so called premium expensive ones that do RGB only. The only real advantage I found was the RGB one didn't carry sound so I didn't need to turn off the TV speakers if I'd been using them and forgot.

Regarding your speaker cable question I'd say don't pay too much. as long as its a decent amount of copper (ideally 4mm or greater) then you'll be fine.
    I use Orange outdoor mains flex like you use for your lawnmower or hedge trimmer. I bi-wire (seperate runs for hi and low) mainly so I can bi-amp in the future and it works brilliantly

16. greigym

greigym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Many thanks all - I will get that SCART cable then. I aim to get SKY HD at some point which will involve a slight revamp in any case.

With regards the speaker cable...im pretty sure QED micro is best for the rears. Possibly the centre and sub as well? With regards the fronts, im still undecided. I need to have a good look into the biwiring option as my Roth floorstanders have plugs for low and high.

Then actually buy the sub....

Then upgrade the CD player as dated...

Money after money!!!!:thumbsup:

17. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    I wouldn't get too excited about bi-wiring, unless you plan to bi-amp at some stage, then it has merit.