Setup advice please

Stoo1701

Standard Member
Hi Guys,
I am about to recieve a panny gt30 on wednesday. (2 days) but after recently realising my Denon 1906 amp is not 3d compatible (can someone explain why it isn't just passing through 1's and 0's and needs to be 3d capable?? :/ ) I am trying to get my head around the re-wiring job...

I have:
Panny 50" GT30, Panny 110 Blu-ray, PS3, Sky HD+.

At the mo' BR, ps3 & HD are HDMI into the amp, then 1 HDMI out to TV. *Sky also with optical*
Bearing in mind I need the optical on the Sky to get 5.1, how would you suggest I connect the amp & TV ?? Will I retain some auto-switching so I don't have to manually select the source? (will viera-link cover this?)

I think its something like sources -->to amp, 3d sources also to TV with separate connection to amp for audio..

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks !

PS TV has Audio return channel on HDMI what does this achieve ?

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Hi Guys,
I am about to recieve a panny gt30 on wednesday. (2 days) but after recently realising my Denon 1906 amp is not 3d compatible (can someone explain why it isn't just passing through 1's and 0's and needs to be 3d capable?? :/ ) I am trying to get my head around the re-wiring job...

I have:
Panny 50" GT30, Panny 110 Blu-ray, PS3, Sky HD+.

At the mo' BR, ps3 & HD are HDMI into the amp, then 1 HDMI out to TV. *Sky also with optical*
Bearing in mind I need the optical on the Sky to get 5.1, how would you suggest I connect the amp & TV ?? Will I retain some auto-switching so I don't have to manually select the source? (will viera-link cover this?)

I think its something like sources -->to amp, 3d sources also to TV with separate connection to amp for audio..

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks !

PS TV has Audio return channel on HDMI what does this achieve ?

It has to do with how the 3D video signal is configured. Older HDMI equipped devices comply with older HDMI specifications that do not encompass the newer 3D video formats. The HDMI interface present in the older AV amps doesn't recognise the 3D signal as being a legitimate video signal so will not pass it on through to your display.

Audio return (ARC) via HDMI eliminates the need for additional audio connections between a TV and a AV receiver. Without this you'd need extra connections in order to output audio from a TV to an AV receiver. Note that both your TV and the AV amp must be ARC capable to take advantage.

I'd suggest you use HDMI throughout and wherever possible. HDMI covers all bases and provided the greatest range of audio coverage. Still continue to use optical for the SKY audio though. I personally use my AV amp as a switching unit and connect all devices to it via HDMI. I then connect my AV amp to my TV via HDMI. I do not use my TV's own internal tuner or its audio capabilities.

Note that if you connect your 3D Blu-ray to the TV via HDMI and then to your amp via optical for the audio, you'll not be able to access the HD audio formats such as DTS-HD or Dolby TRueHD. THe HD formats can only be accessed via HDMI.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom