Setup advice for Sony DAVS 550

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by talizman, Mar 25, 2006.

1. talizman

talizman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Total amatuer here folks when it comes to this sort of thing....

I'm currently running the following

Hitachi 42pd7200 plasma (come Wednesday ;) )
    Sony DAVS 550 Home Cinema System
    Sony VCR
    Sky digibox
    PS2

How should the above components be connected in order to get all of my sources going via the surround sound speakers (PS2 & VCR etc)

Should the VCR/Sky/PS2 all go into the DAVS 550 and the output from the DAVS to AV1 on the plasma? AFAIK, there are only 2 inputs on the DAVS....

I know that this is totally amatuer, but thanks in advance for any tips. :smashin:

2. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    The VCR should be able to run through the Sky box and then on to the Sony. PS2 connected through the second input on the Sony. Jobs a good 'un :)

VCR > Sky
    Sky > Sony
    Sony > Plasma
    PS2 > Sony

Would work I reckon...

3. talizman

talizman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to clarify....

My VCR has 2 scarts
    The DAVS has no scarts but has components jacks
    The Sky has 2 scarts (TV & VCR)

So, should my VCR output, go into the VCR scart on Sky box.... What does the other scart on VCR get used for?
    TV scart on Skybox to DAVS via component leads as video source 1?
    PS2 into DAVS video source 2
    DAVS to Plasma via component leads?

Thanks again :)

4. talizman

talizman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, I think I've got it sorted.....

My Sky box is scarting to my VCR.
    My VCR is connected to the Sony DAVS by scart plug->component leads
    The DAVS is connected to my TV by component leads->scart plug

All audio seems to be coming through the surround sound so it seems to be working.

My only problem now is that I bought a semi decent 5m scart lead to connect the plasma, but the video/audio out from the DAVS is by component leads.... What is my best bet for this..... Can you get a connector that plugs onto a scart plug to change it to component leads?

5. kjt2004

kjt2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    The answer to your question is yes u can try this site

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables

Just one thing the sky box- vcr - sony wont be component , it will be composite.

The sony has the following connections only

Video 1 = Composite connections in/out ie RED/WHITE(audio) and YELLOW(video)

Video 2 = Composite RED/WHITE/YELLOW

Component out = RED/BLUE/GREEN

Optical in = accepts optical digital signal from source

S video/composite monitor out

regards

6. talizman

talizman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, meant composite.

So should my input to the Sony be going in on Video 1 or Video 2, or doesn't it matter? I take it my PS2 will utilise whatever one is not is use?

For the component out, which of the red/blue and green are the audio connectors and which one is the video?

Thanks

P.S. Would this do the job?

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGV373.html

7. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Component is picture only - no sound, you need to use seperate phono (red/white) cables or an optical cable for that.

You do not need the Sony to deliver sound to the tv, do you? Are you not going to be using its speakers?

8. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
  9. kjt2004

kjt2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Talizman

Conn is absolutely right in what he is saying, you maybe complicating matters when there is no need.

Using video 1 0r 2 will give composite connection only so it makes no difference

Using component RGB will give video only and like Conn says the plasma has component connections.

If you want my advice and im guessing as i dont know what connections there are on the back of the plasma you have but i would suggest the following

VCR- sky - plasma via RGB scart
    Sony - plasma via component
    Playstation by what is left over -ie scart

Then connect a pair of phono leads from TV audio output at rear of plasma to input on back of sony either video 1 or 2

Then you can have sky/vcr/playstation on suedo surround sound by selecting video 1 or 2 on sony amp

hope that helps:hiya:

10. talizman

talizman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Firstly, thanks for your ongoing advice and patience guys. :smashin:

Conn, it was my intention to deliver the sound and picture to the plasma via a component to scart cable. I didn't see the point in making the plasma speakers redundant. Do you think using the plasma speakers along with the Sony speakers will mess up the surround sound due to having too much front and centre sound?

Would I be better to simply output the picture only from the Sony to the plasma via a simple video cable, thus using the plasma as a display only and the sound exclusively from the Sony?

In that case I wouldn't need a scart cable of any description I'd imagine the plasma will have component connections?

kjt2004,

Your example of -:

VCR- sky - plasma via RGB scart
    Sony - plasma via component

Then connect a pair of phono leads from TV audio output at rear of plasma to input on back of sony either video 1 or 2

Am I right in saying that the Sony - plasma via component would simply output the DVD picture to the plasma and then the plasma would need to output the sound from VCR/Sky/DVD back to the Sony via the phono leads?

My head hurts!

11. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Absolutly, way too much front and centre. Would sound awful.

Define simple video cable? If you are talking composite (yellow), dont even go near this screen with that, a total waste of a £1400 (?) screen. A bit like deciding your car needs a new paint job and using emulsion and a roller.

For DVD playback, you need to use Component - you have got it, would be daft not to use it. Best (by far) connection you have available to you.

Your tv is your display, the speakers are there for convenience. The Sony is there for the sound.

Um...without wishing to sound rude...the best price I can see for this set is around £1350. Have you had a demonstration or looked at one? Yes, it has Component. In fact, this is what it has -

1 x Component Video Connection/s
    2 x Composite Video Connection/s
    1 x External Speaker Connection/s
    2 x Standard Scart Connection/s
    1 x HDMI Connection/s
    1 x DVI Connection/s
    2 x Front/Side AV Connection/s

Your head is gonna hurt far less once you have got it :) There is enough information in this thread for you to get it right with just a little bit of trial and error. Once you have got it all in front of you with the instruction manual, all will become clear...best bit is setting gear up and playing with connections :cool:

12. talizman

talizman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Morning guys.

Well I've been messing around with the setup in preparation for the plasma coming tomorrow.

I was thinking about your suggestion kjt2004.....

I can understand the theory of wiring your sky/vcr etc straight to the plasma by scart, and also the video from the sony straight to the plasma by component, thereafter outputting the sound from the plasma to the sony for surround sound, but would it not be simpler to merely input all sources (Sky/VCR/PS2) straight into the Sony, and then a straightforward component output to the plasma for display?

Again, excuse my ignorance if my suggestion is daft!

I know you'd probably never believe it, but I've had my Sony DAVS for nearly 3 years! though it was about time I got it working properly! :D

13. THERAAAVEN

THERAAAVEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    the sony unit only outputs dvd thru the component, so if routing the vcr and sky in vcr1 and vcr2 you would have to run a composite(yellow lead) from the monitor output on the sony system to either a scart or the composite input on the plasma. this would give terrible picture for sky!!! so the best bet is to run scart to the plasma from the vcr and sky. the sony cannot expect component inputs as it only has composite, even if it did you would need scart to component adapaters which are quite expensive!!!

14. PercyP

PercyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Talizman,

I have a Sony DAVS550 (for now). I recently bought a Pioneer 436XDE, and this is how I had it setup (before I bought the Oppo DVD player).

NTL [via RGB scart] Plasma
    DAVS550 [via component] Plasma (ensure progressive scan for NTSC discs)
    Plasma [via optical audio out] DAVS550
    PS2 [via composite] Plasma

I would recommend that you put your Sky (via RGB scart) directly to your Plasma, then put the second Scart through your VCR, then Scart to the plasma (I have a feeling that only one of the Sky scarts is RGB, so pick this one to goto the plasma).

There's not much point converting Scart-composite to put the Video through your DAVS550, since only DVD will be via component, and you will need a separate composite line to the plasma to send any video (plus the picture will degrade in the Scart-> composite change).

The above configuration means that you can have the Sony either off (and use the plasma speakers) or on (mute plasma, and use Sony speakers) for normal viewing, and the Sony for DVD sound playback.

If you run out of audio connections on the plasma, then split composite/audio red/audio white between plasma (video) and Sony (audio) for weaker video signals (e.g. PS2).

P.

15. talizman

talizman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Firstly, thanks for all the great advice in this thread guys.

So, the plan is to connect my Sky and VCR straight to plasma via RGB scart giving me the choice of using the plasma speakers when the Sony is off.

I'll then need to get a component cable to connect the DAVS to the plasma for DVD playback, and audio phono leads to output the sound from the plasma into video 1 or 2 on the DAVS for surround sound from all sources.

The PC World component cable would do except I'll need one about 3m rather than 2m.... Any suggestions?

Also, I have a pair of audio phono leads lying around here, but should I cough up for some decent branded ones or is the differences negligible?

Job should then be a good un?

16. PercyP

PercyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  17. THERAAAVEN

THERAAAVEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    a good qed lead would be best - not some cheap thing from pc world. or get a good lead online

18. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    :rotfl:

19. THERAAAVEN

THERAAAVEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    and?????????????????/

20. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    And nothing. Your post made me laugh so I expressed it.

21. talizman

talizman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well guys, I got the unit installed and up and running.

Cheers for all the good advice in this thread, which was substancially more that RS salesguy could offer!

In the end, I went with the following setup....

VCR-SKY -> SCART to AV2 (RGB) on plasma

Sony DAVS -> Component lead to plasma and audio phone leads outputting plasma audio back to Sony input on Video 2

So, I can watch TV/Sky/VCR with just the plasma speakers, with the Sony off, or I can mute the plasma and play sound through the Sony if I prefer.

I'm in the process of messing around with the settings to get the best picture and sound at the moment.

DVD picture quality is amazing, however TV could be better, and sometimes appears a bit grainy.....

All in all, I'm well happy and here are some rubbish pics until I get the chance to take better ones :D

View attachment 27842 View attachment 27843 View attachment 27844