Question Settled status, living in EU country, working for UK company

quantumwitch

Novice Member
I have lived in UK for 7 years and just moved to Poland. I found a job and the company is in partnership with British company. Question is - what happens if instead of being employed by the Polish one, I'll be a British employee...? sort of..? I don't know. I still have my life in England and I'll be visiting family and friends very often. Right know I have to be in Poland to do the job but it's possible in around 3-5 years I could live in England and do the job from there and going to Poland only now and then. What's the best option for me? Is being employed by the UK company better in my situation or it doesn't matter and I can be employed by the Polish one? Or will there be some issues later with my pension/taxes/NIN etc? The Brexit settled status is for 5 years, right? What would be different for me if I'd be employed by Polish company?
(The free medical and dentis care wouldn't be a problem for me here because I'm offered to be on the private sector.)

Pacifico

Distinguished Member
You need to tell HMRC you have left the country and are working overseas (theres a form on their website) - when you come back call them and tell them you are now back resident in the UK.

When you come back try and align it with the end of the tax year otherwise the calculation for split years gets a bit complicated.

I have found the HMRC helpline very good if you have a problem or are unsure about anything - they can guide you easily. Good luck with the job.

klaxhu

I have lived in UK for 7 years and just moved to Poland. I found a job and the company is in partnership with British company. Question is - what happens if instead of being employed by the Polish one, I'll be a British employee...? sort of..? I don't know. I still have my life in England and I'll be visiting family and friends very often. Right know I have to be in Poland to do the job but it's possible in around 3-5 years I could live in England and do the job from there and going to Poland only now and then. What's the best option for me? Is being employed by the UK company better in my situation or it doesn't matter and I can be employed by the Polish one? Or will there be some issues later with my pension/taxes/NIN etc? The Brexit settled status is for 5 years, right? What would be different for me if I'd be employed by Polish company?
(The free medical and dentis care wouldn't be a problem for me here because I'm offered to be on the private sector.)
I have a polish friend who did just the same. He created a company there and is billing his company from back in the UK that he still works for, but now as a contractor that just cut bills monthly for his services. I don't know polish law/taxes, that is something you should figure out locally with a lawyer. (my friend as an architect is better of there with this setup, which is no surprise really)

Top Bottom