Settingup a gaming network between two xboxs - help

bradfrankshaw

Standard Member
Hi all - I've tried a search on this and it's probably been asked several times; but I couldn't get any results.

I picked up an Elite recently in order to pass my White 20gb up to the kids so they can play Lips, Lego Indiana Jones et al whilst I trundle away on Fallout 3. One of the girls is into Halo 3 and wanted to know if we could play each other on the two boxes. I thought it would be cool for two of us to play downstairs against two upstairs, so I set out to figure out how to do it.

Then I found out from Micro$oft in order for the two games to play, they both need to be patched to the same level. As the 20gb was wiped during a Data Transfer, obviously one is going to be patched up more than the other. But you can only get the patches on xbox live.

So I thought ok, I'll use one of those freebie scratch off 1 month things that came with a game I had lying around and run all the games they want to play and get them patched up.

But then it wanted me to go through the rigmoral of setting up a Live account for one of the kids (who being under age then I had to verify with my details and banks details etc etc) which I didn't want to do. They just want to play offline and occasionally TRY to play against the other box down stairs!

I assume also we have the right kit to do this as well - the Elite hardwired to a wireless router and a wireless dongle on the 20gb allowing it to talk to the router - is this enough to create an offline connection?

So, in essence, do I have to create another Live account (something their mum is dead against; I'm neutral on it) just to enable the two boxes to talk offline?? And if we did get the right patches etc, is this hardware set up enough to enable direct connection play?

many thanks

frank

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
we struggled with this, me and my housemate got GOW2 working over our lan, i was wirelessly connected and he had it connected to his laptop which was then using wireless. When he had xbox live gold it worked fine without me having it but when he ditched it it stopped working at all and we had to resort to a long ethernet cable between the 2 whenever we wanted to play it.

Does the xbox not do patching with silver subscription which is free and will not let your kids play online? Mine updates games and stuff all the time and i dont have gold, or is your wife just against them having gamerprofiles at all even if they are the freebie ones

bradfrankshaw

Standard Member
Hi - thanks for this - so you were able to play against each other even though one was patched and the other not? The old 20gb is my old one which was wiped by the Data Transfer Kit - if I created a dummy live account just for the purpose of patching, will I automatically get a Silver account just by being online?

Yeah my misses is against the idea of the kids having access to the wild blue yonder of the internet via the 'box. The sort of games they play they don't really need to be online any way. It's just the patching we're interested in, just so we can have a laugh as a family mainly.

Also, does any one know; if I purchase a track or something for them for their Lips game on my Elite, can I store it on a USB stick and then transfer to their HDD? I know you can get Xbox branded USB 1gb sticks, but can I use any old one?

cheers

frank

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
I believe a gamertag+xbox being online is all xbox live silver is, they don't take any billing details or anything to take money and it just means online play and some features like sky player or facebook don't work for them like it would on your gold one. I don't think there is a limit to them either so if they wanted they could even have a tag each and there would be no fear as to what they get up to online. If all else fails just nick their ethernet cable so they can't get online :D

Don't think usb sticks will work, any downloaded content for the game needs to be used on the gamertag it was downloaded on. The best solution to this and might be useful for you in general is invest in a ms memory unit and save your tag on there. I've not used one but a lot of people on here switch between 2 consoles seamlessly with them. You might have to download the song on their console originally though.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom