1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Settings Questions: HS10/20 PowerStrip & TheaterTek Deinterlacing

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by plague1392, Feb 16, 2004.

1. plague1392

plague1392
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have my HS20 working in 1368x768 using settings I found searching the forum. No matter how much I look I can’t find any settings to get it to work using all the pixels. Changing the resolution to 1388x788 just gives me a blank screen and I have to wait until it restores the previous resolution to get the picture back. Is it possible to get PowerStrip to work in 1388x788 with the HS20 or will it only work with 1368x768?

The other question I had was about the deinterlacing options in TheaterTek. The options for deinterlacing are Movie, Video and Auto but the manual doesn’t tell you what these do. Searching the forums for TheaterTek and deinterlacing just reveals a lot of posts about how bad TheaterTek is for deinterlacing, which is nice to know :) I’ve just left it on Auto for now but was wondering if it was worth changing this?

One final question that has just come to mind now; when I do the setup with Avia is it best to start by changing the settings on the PC or the projector? Also, if I set up the PC and then the projector is it worth going back to tweak the PC settings a bit more?

Thanks a lot for any advice you can offer on any of these questions.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    TT bad for de-interlacing .. news to me and many other TT users I suspect. ;)

There are two methods for de-interlacing as you're aware: video and film, otherwise known as 'weave' and 'bob' (or is it the other way round, never can remember).

The technical details escape me but it doesn't matter. Generally DVDs of material shot on film are in 'film' mode and those shot of video cameras are 'video'. Now, DVDs should be able to tell the de-interlacer what 'mode' they're in, this is called a 'flag', unfortunately many DVDs are mastered badly and have bad or missing flags.

High-end de-interlacers can auto-detect which mode the signal is in and handle accordingly, others rely on the flag so if that's wrong they get it wrong.

Bottom line: select 'auto' in the de-interlacer, if it looks like it's getting it wrong .. which will be easy to see from un-resolved 'jaggies' and other 'noise' in the image .. manually select which mode it's to use. AFAIK it is rare for a single movie/whatever to be in mixed film/video mode.

A complete description of this procss can be found here

Calibration of the player or projector IMHO is a matter of preference, I prefer to calibrate the source as it saves messing about with selecting the right saved setup in the projector .. I think probably the majority do it on the projector.

Sorry, can't help with the Powerstrip question as I don't have a Sony.

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Its definitly better to calibrate the PJ but only if the PC's settings are at stock. This means (from memory, I'll double check later)

7.5 for brightness,
    100 for contrast,
    100 for saturation,
    0 for hue and
    81 for gamma.

Any others settings are moving away from the intended setup of the graphics card and are therefore being digitally altered so compressing the dynamic range of the card.

This settings are not the scoped settings in Theatretek! They are the stock settings of an ATI graphics card.

Once these PC settings are correct then calibrate the PJ with Avia or VE.

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    As to Powerstip and the HS10/20, noone has managed any other settings over dvi than the stated 1368*768 @56hz. The Sony cannot address the whole panel in dvi mode. The missing 8 pixel border is noramally adjusted to the black surround of your screen.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Just an aside but the video deinterlace in Theatertek is actually pretty ropey.
    If you plan on watching a lot of video based material then powerdvd or windvd do a better job with video.

Personally I use a standalone dvd player with Dscaler for video originated material.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Strange, my experience with an AE300 to a 92" screen was the opposite, TT produced a far sharper less grainy image of X-Men than PowerDVD XP 5.0.

7. plague1392

plague1392
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks a lot to everyone for their help. That's definately answered all of my questions. Think I'll go and put Avia in and calibrate it.

Thanks again.