Settings ps2

N

nokiaman

I have a wireless network setup with aol bb using a router/modem and an access point, i have a wireless ethernet bridge connected to my ps2, i have entered the correct settings with my ps2 network access disc, but when i try to connect to central station or test my settings it wont connect.

Can anyone help, is there anything i need to do or check?
if you need to know more info let me know, hope someone can help as its so frustrating.

thx

Is the PS2 compatible with AOL BB? check if it is coz i don't think xbox live is, so ps2 network might also be incompatible

Yeah AOL now suuport both ps2 and xbox live, they have helpful tips of how to set it up etc but i just cant seem to connect to central station using my wireless network.

Please relate what error you get and how you have set this up
IE though pc or via direct router connection

and I will see what i can do to help

:lesson:

Hi i posted my setup a few messages ago check above.
When i try to connect to central station it just takes ages and then fails or when i do the network diagnostics test i cant get the 1st yellow light to turn green.

i've tested my ps2 settings by plugging my ps2 straight into my my router which is connected to my pc with an ethernet cable.
That works i can get the 5 yellow lights to turn green but when i try this with my wireless setup, it doesn't work.

Do you need to open any ports on the pc? i dont know anything about ports but i get no requests from my firewall.

First of all, exactly what equipment are you using (brand and model, please! :))

In this kind of situation I would try connecting your PC via the wireless access point to the router, just like you're trying to do with the Playstation.

This way we can check that the access point will communicate with the router, plus by using the PC you can view the configuration options on the Access Point and the router as well.

Start simple, switch off any WEP security that you may have switched on, make sure everything wireless is using the same SSID (think of it as a name for the wireless network).

To be honest, when I set mine up, I left all the PS2 settings on "Automatic", is this what you have done or have you specified anything explicitly?

Give this a shot and let us know how you get on.

By the way, don't worry. If we can't sort you out, the best place to look is the forums on www.adslguide.org.uk

Hi thx for all your advice.

Well i'm using a Thompson/Alcatel speedtouch 570 router/modem
This is connected to my pc via one ethernet cable.
I'm using a speedtouch 120 wireless access point but this is a usb device.
I'm using a wireless ethernet bridge (netgearME101) which is connected to my ps2 via one cross over ethernet cable(what came with it, the straight through cable that came with the sony network adaptor doesn't work)

I've turned all WEP off and def using the same id on both devices.
They're using the same channel and it recieves signal upstairs (i'm not sure how much though)

I have all the correct settings on the ps2 as when i connect my ethernet cable direct from my router(no pc needed) it works no probelms, just when i use my wireless bridge with the ps2 and connect the router to my pc i cant get it to work.

Ok if you need any more info, let us know
hope you can help me out.

thx.

The next thing I would attempt is making a wireless connection, by plugging your PC into the netgear wireless bridge.

Once you've done this, check that you can still access the Internet.

This will tell us if the Netgear is working as we expect or not.

Give it a shot and let us know how you get on.

Hi i plugged my netgear bridge into my router which is connected to the net then tried to connect to the net but it didn't work.
I wouldnt; have to change modem or anything would i?

I only have 1 ethernet port on my router/modem and on my pc aswell.

Originally posted by nokiaman
Hi i plugged my netgear bridge into my router which is connected to the net then tried to connect to the net but it didn't work.

Which makes sense as I suggested you connect your PC to the Netgear, not connect the Netgear to the router. You don't need to physically connect the Netgear to the router with a cable, it should make a wireless connection instead.

I wouldnt; have to change modem or anything would i?
Don't worry, this is very unlikely.

I only have 1 ethernet port on my router/modem and on my pc aswell.
Again, this is fine for what we're trying to do.

Okay deep breath time, here's what we need to do.

You can access the Internet using your PC with no problems when you connect it to the router. Therefore your Internet connection is fine. That's the good news.

The bad news is that when you try to get your PS2 talking to the router via your Netgear access point (and no cables between Netgear & router cos it's meant to be wireless) something goes a bit haywire.

Okay, what I would suggest is the following:

1. Disconnect your PC's network cable from the router.
2. Now connect your PC to the Netgear access point using a network cable (it may have to be a crossover cable, check your Netgear documentation).
3. At this point, your Netgear will only have two things plugged in to it, your PC via a network cable and the power cable (obvious I know).
4. Now check out the documentation that came with your Netgear and see how you can access the configuration options for it. It will either have a configuration utility you can run on your PC, or the instructions will tell you to type in a particular address in your Internet browser to access a "web page" on the device itself.

Once you've done this, the Netgear should be able to list available wireless networks and you should then be able to tell it which one to join.

Once you've done this, see if you can access the Internet from your PC via the Netgear. If you can't, then you have an issue, it may be worth seeing what options there are for assigning IP addresses automatically. Ideally the IP address should be assigned by your router, if the Netgear has a DHCP server option, you may want to try switching this off or disabling it temporarily so see what happens.

To put it bluntly, if your PC can't get to the net via your Netgear, then definitely your PS2 won't either. Once the PC can connect, the PS2 should be able to also, just by plugging it into the Netgear, rather than the PC.

By the way, what operating system does your PC run, XP?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom