********' settings methodology

TokenUser

Just started learning about ISF calibration.

******** has provided many different setting for Pioneer TVs for different sources (DVD, blu-ray, sky etc).

I can understand how he might come up with his settings for DVD and blu-ray by using calibration disks.

How would he calibrate on sky or the internal tuner sources? Are there occasional broadcasts of calibration signals? If so how often are they transmitted and how do you find out when?

Or maybe he just produces those settings "by eye".

Can anyone enlighten a newbie!!

eiren

Distinguished Member
Very expensive signal generator that can output the same type of signal that the Sky box would output.

There is now an HD test card on BBC HD too which is quite useful.

bsuttie

Test card is just over one hour past the end of the last programme, A/V sync test is approx 50 minutes past that.

So if for example last prog on BBC HD channel finishes at midnight, record 01:00 to 01:15 and 01:45 to 02:00 the next morning to catch both test signals.

regards

Brian

TokenUser

I only have Sky SD -- do you know if a test card is ever transmitted on any of the BBC SD channels, like in the old analogue days? Is it possible to hook up a PC to the sky box in order to mimic a "very expensive signal generator"?

Again sorry if these questions seem dumb, I'm just starting out!

eiren

Distinguished Member
I only have Sky SD -- do you know if a test card is ever transmitted on any of the BBC SD channels, like in the old analogue days? Is it possible to hook up a PC to the sky box in order to mimic a "very expensive signal generator"?

I found the best way to calibrate a Sky SD box without expensive equipment is to hook up a DVD player using the same type of connection, into the same input (i.e. into an RGB enabled scart socket) and then run one of the test discs like DVE or GetGrey, and calibrate using that.

Chances are it will be pretty accurate for the Sky SD using the settings you achieve from calibrating this way.

Silver Serpent

There is an SD testcard on Channel M at 2.30am every day.

It's a Frank Sidebottom one and not very good to be honest, but might be of some use to you.

TokenUser

Yes this was my starting point.

Then I found out that my Sony DVD player has several picture modes like "cinema 1", "cinema 2", "standard", "vivid". Changing between these using the test disk produces changes in the contrast. I can't be certain that any of these setting are passing the true calibration signal through unchanged.

I am happy to calibrate the DVD souce using the "standard" setting, but the above has made me unsure about applying the same settings to other inputs in case even on "standard" the signal is being messed with.

-----------------------

eiren said:

"I found the best way to calibrate a Sky SD box without expensive equipment is to hook up a DVD player using the same type of connection, into the same input (i.e. into an RGB enabled scart socket) and then run one of the test discs like DVE or GetGrey, and calibrate using that.

Chances are it will be pretty accurate for the Sky SD using the settings you achieve from calibrating this way."

Last edited:

countax

Standard Member
Gary,
see my post on the Pioneer 9G part 2 forum this morning. There is a way to access the test card via channel 105 on freeview.
Nigel

TokenUser

That's very useful info -- I will try it tonight, will also see if I can find the same channel on sky and do the same there.

You would have thought that whoever makes the sky box would put in a test card onto one of the setup menus but they didn't.

Gary,
see my post on the Pioneer 9G part 2 forum this morning. There is a way to access the test card via channel 105 on freeview.
Nigel

countax

Standard Member
That's very useful info -- I will try it tonight, will also see if I can find the same channel on sky and do the same there.

You would have thought that whoever makes the sky box would put in a test card onto one of the setup menus but they didn't.

I hope i didn't set too high an expectation on this test card, its pretty ropey and low resolution. My main objective is to get my brightness and contrast levels right and then adjust the colours to suit my taste.
Nigel

Coffin

Distinguished Member
******** did my set using the aforementioned 'very expensive signal generator' and also occasionally "by eye".

I think the two cans of Coke helped too :D

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom