Question Settings for the Philips 58PUS7304

SandboxHero

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I haven't bought a new TV since the HD was pretty new more or less, and never knew much about settings to adjust the picture. But it seems apparent that these new UHD TVs need a lot of adjustment to really get what I paid for, and since after extensive searches I have not been able to find any advice regarding the settings for the 7304 TV:s (if I have understood it correctly, it can be widely different between the models and therefore not advisable to use recommended settings from an earlier version), I thought I would give it a try and ask here before I throw myself in and perhaps only make it worse. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

same here...
I've been researching image settings for about a week. There is enough information about the 55 inch model. unfortunately there is not enough information for 58 inches.

I am also in same boat.
Used settings form the 65 YouTube model from AV Forums calibration.
Looks grainy still not nearly as nice as my retired Panasonic 500b. If you could find anything please.let me know.
Otherwise tv fantastic.
*** BTW try pressing ambilight button when the off. Fantastic lighting on one colour and can toggle for mood by repressing buttton

I am also in same boat.
Used settings form the 65 YouTube model from AV Forums calibration.
Looks grainy still not nearly as nice as my retired Panasonic 500b. If you could find anything please.let me know.
Otherwise tv fantastic.
*** BTW try pressing ambilight button when the off. Fantastic lighting on one colour and can toggle for mood by repressing buttton
Hi everybody,

I haven't bought a new TV since the HD was pretty new more or less, and never knew much about settings to adjust the picture. But it seems apparent that these new UHD TVs need a lot of adjustment to really get what I paid for, and since after extensive searches I have not been able to find any advice regarding the settings for the 7304 TV:s (if I have understood it correctly, it can be widely different between the models and therefore not advisable to use recommended settings from an earlier version), I thought I would give it a try and ask here before I throw myself in and perhaps only make it worse. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
Did you get anywhere ?

I've had min a week now and it's terrible imo. I've never known a mid range tv with such a bad picture for standard HD stuff. I can be watching a program mess with the settings a bit more then think it looks okay only to change channel and find it looks terrible again.
Watching the apprentice last night and I could've used it as a lighthouse with the brightness whenever one of them opened their mouth and shone those super white teeth lol. It's like the LED backlights are fixed with no way of dimming them down a bit.
If I can't get somewhere with it over the weekend then it's going back. My 9-10 year old LG plasma pisses over it for HD stuff.

I've had min a week now and it's terrible imo. I've never known a mid range tv with such a bad picture for standard HD stuff. I can be watching a program mess with the settings a bit more then think it looks okay only to change channel and find it looks terrible again.
Watching the apprentice last night and I could've used it as a lighthouse with the brightness whenever one of them opened their mouth and shone those super white teeth lol. It's like the LED backlights are fixed with no way of dimming them down a bit.
If I can't get somewhere with it over the weekend then it's going back. My 9-10 year old LG plasma pisses over it for HD stuff.
I've already initiated a return on mine for the same reason. In interim take down conntrast to 35. Saves your retinas. Terrible TV imo I'm glad I kept my Panasonic

I've already initiated a return on mine for the same reason. In interim take down conntrast to 35. Saves your retinas. Terrible TV imo I'm glad I kept my Panasonic

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one 🤣 .
I'm just installing an update now but if it's no better then I'll be giving Costco a call tomorrow.
I'm glad I didn't pre give/sell the old Plasma away but not looking forward to bringing it back down from the bedroom :(.

Are you guys for real? Contrast to 35 to save your retinas??

Even tough I have 707304, it should still be the same VA panel technology and my experience is completely different. Overall I am very satisfied, except HDR was not working out of the box (required manual NVM update) and even now HDR is looking kinda meh (but I was warned about this, cheap TVs can't do HDR well, so whathever).

But there is nothing like that the TV backlight would be too bright or disturbing. And I am watching in a completely dark room 90% of the time, and no issues about anything being too bright. On the opposite, it feels much more natural compared to my 6 year old 55" Samsung VA panel (also same price range), that one does indeed have contrast issues with hurting my eyes (I still use this TV in my bedroom now), watching content on Philips 7304 is a completely different experience regarding this; it is very pleasant and natural to the eyes. And that's in a completely dark room with contrast at 100%, it's not even daytime use.

My settings are barely touched out of the box, the only thing that could be done is manual ISF color tuning which I'm not an expert but my prefered settings for most SDR content are the following:

Basic:
Contrast and Video Contrast: 100 (I would push this even further if I could)
Brightness: 50 (52 is more optimal but it also slightly reduces the black levels)
Color: 60 for SDR, 70-85 for HDR default white tones
Sharpness: between 1 and 3, depending on content. 0 is slightly blurry to me, it does need a little sharpening
Eco Sensor: Off

Advanced settings:
White balance: Default (warm is way too much yellow, balance seems good on neutral to me),
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Color Enhancement: Low
HDR Upscale: On

Everything else I haven't mentioned is untouched and left by default (like Gamma:0, and Ultra Resolution doesn't seem to do anything on or off)

This is personal preference, but I find that Dynamic Contrast does a good job with deepening the blacks and brightening up when it's too dark when necessary (I kinda miss this feature in HDR tbh), so I have it on Low most of the time. The other two seem like bad, unusable presets.

Colour enhancement on Low seems to tone down on the reds and bleed the blues a little too much, but overall the colours feel richer. Personally, I like this most of the time, it's a bit more vivid. For something like Anime or Cartoons, Max is a decent option too, again it depends on the source content, but sometimes it does tend to bleed the colors a bit too much, again personal preference.

Now for the bads, it does indeed really struggle with the image noise even if you set noise reduction to max (probably even more noticable on bigger panel like mine), however playing trough an outside android box (Nvidia Shield) overall image quality seems slightly better on both SDR and HDR content.

I don't have any other newer TVs in this price range to compare any practical use, unfortunately (the demos shown for the Shops and any other local high bitrate Dolby/DTS demos look completely great of course, playing bitrate starved streams trough Amazon/Netflix is an entirely different story however).

Helló! 65PUS7304 / 12 Kalibrált Beállítás (Szoftververzió TPM191E_R.001.001.114.002.)

Szín: 50
Kontraszt: 73
Élesség: 0
Fényerő: 50

Színjavítás: ki
Színhőmérséklet: Normál
Fehér pontok 2
EGYÉNI
Piros-WP: 127
Zöld WP: 114
kék WP: 89
Piros BL: 0