1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Settings for Powerstrip to Epson TW100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bahenry, Aug 23, 2002.

1. bahenry

bahenry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have set up a HCPC running to an Epson TW100 and the results are awsome. The picture quality is so much better than my Tosh DVD.

I would however like help on the powerstrip settings, unless the default settings are all that is required.

Thanks

Bruce

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Here ya go. Settings as supplied by Epson.

Pixel Clock 74.176MHz

Horizontal:
    -- Scan Rate 44.955KHz
    -- Active pixels 1280 pixels
    -- Front porch pixels 70 pixels
    -- Sync width pixels 80 pixels
    -- Back porch pixels 220 pixels
    -- Total pixels 1650 pixels

Vertical:
    -- Refresh Rate 59.940Hz
    -- Active lines 720 lines
    -- Front porch lines 5 lines
    -- Sync width lines 5 lines
    -- Back porch lines 20 lines
    -- Total lines 750 lines

3. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bahenry,

If you are using the DVI connection to the projector the standard powerstrip setting for 1280x720 LCD should be fine (assuming you have the current firmware).

Messiah,

My TW100 went back to Epson yesterday for the firmware upgrade. Bad planning on my part as the Bank Holiday means it will be away for one more day than it would have otherwise. :(

Allan

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Well, mine has a problem whereby it is impossible to have both sides of the screen in focus at the same time - pretty crucial for a decent picture really :D

I am now 'negotiaiting' with the supplier for a replacement or refund as I do not think I should have to accept a 3 week old unit being sent away for repair. BTW, the fault has been there since day one but originally thought it was me. Only when I sold the pj and the new buyer had exactly the same issue did I realise it was a fault. Needless to say it is now back with me awaiting a decision. :mad:

5. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Messiah,

Sounds like you are having a bit of a tough time with projectors. Do you think the focus problem is inherent to the design or a fault with your unit ?

I've never noticed this on mine but then again I've never gone looking for it and I run mine very slightly defocussed anyway. I would go and check mine straightaway but I can't now, Epson have it. I wonder if its showing up because you run yours at the 'narrow' end of the zoom, mines just the opposite, I project the image very close to being as wide as possible.

Allan

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I'm sure it's just my unit as I've spoken with nelson who does not have the same problem. You can very easily check it though by bringing up the test pattern and looking at the Hs. I can only ever get one vertical line of them in sharp focus at the same time. All the others then have a very strong grey halo around them.

V annoying.

7. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bummer !

How's that Philips DVD player working out ?

Allan

8. bahenry

bahenry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Messiah,

You have a problem with your focus.

When I first bought my TW100 and ran it with a Tosh DVD I was so dissappointed with the picture quality as it never seemed to be in focus. Using a HCPC has improved it. Is this a problem with the Epson.

Bruce

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Gearhead - the 962 is awesome. Highly recommended. Missed it this week as no viewing device to watch on but my Sharp 50" plasma turned up about 2 hours ago so should be up by later tonight. Yippee!

bahenry - don't think it is an issue with them generally as with me it was not out of fovus over the whole screen just one side. Get that side in focus and the other goes out of focus. Both I and Epson think either the lens or panel is out of alignment.

10. Glasswalker

Glasswalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the 962 PAL and NTSC ps if bought in the UK?

11. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    No does not have the Faroudja DCDi chip.

12. MerMan

MerMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received my TW100 today :D and the H pattern is sharp across the full picture.

Regards

13. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks merman. That proves it conclusively then. Are you noticing an improvement though general watching due to this?

Glad you're now set-up and just a shame it didn't work out.

14. bahenry

bahenry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My HCPC system that feeds the Epson TW100 is as follows-

Intel Pentium III 748 MHz
    128 MB of RAM
    Windows XP Professional
    Radeon 7500 LE (powered by Radeon)
    Creative Blaster Audigy Platinum (includes internal audigy drive) Power DVD XP ver 4.0 Powerstrip
    Pioneer 106s DVD
    PowerStrip 3.20

I should receive a DVI-I dual link 5 meter cable today to connect the two.

Can anyone tell me if the above spec has any major flaws?

Bruce

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can improve on the player software: WinDVD 4 produces a better picture than Power DVD. Or try the ATI DVD player, which is also very good (the best, some say) ,but a bit unstable at times.

There are better soundcards than those made by CL. Try M-Audio or Philips for example. But if you think your current card sounds OK, stick with it. It's not that bad ;)

Remote Selector ( http://www.remoteselector.com ) is indispensible for a) making almost all software players region free, b) adds IR support to a lot of players and c) generating output for a external matrix display.

You can do away with Powerstrip if you are going to use DVI. Just download Rage3D tweak to unlock extra resolutions and features for free: http://www.rage3d.com/r3dtweak/. Powerstrip programs your RAMDAC, but DVI doesn't use the RAMDAC.

My HTPC runs on W98SE. It's smaller, and has less overhead compared to XP. YMMV though.

16. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Any issues with WinDVD passing DD/DTS via SPDIF from any of the common sound cards, you know, SBLive, M-Audio, etc. ? Cost ? What kind of improvements compared to PowerDVD ?

thanks,

Allan

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Non that I know of, save that you have to have service pack 2 installled if you plan to using DD/DTS pass through using windows 2000. (as MS is now at service pack 3 that should be no problem)

Cost ? Dunno. I'm from the Netherlands so UK prices I don't know much about. €250 for the cheapest M-audio I believe. Philips is alot cheaper.

I find the WinDVD picture is more detailed, smoother, and has less banding than PowerDVDs. There audio quality of the software decoder has also improved a lot over WinDVD3 and now is on par with PowerDVD. Apart from that, WinDVD is absolutely feature stacked, including PAL speedup compensation, movie speedup and slowdown (only using software sound decoding) and a few other gimmicks (screenshot tool, graphical bookmarks etc.).

18. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I meant the cost of WinDVD :blush:

Allan

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: