1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Settings for Elac Cinema 1 subwoofer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Darren Blake, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    This weekend I will be connecting my Elac Cinema 1 setup to my HC for the first time via a Denon 1803 AVR (on a budget here ;) )

I was wondering if anyone could furnish me with suitable "starter" settings for the two knobs on the back of the sub? They are labelled "crossover frequency" and "subwoofer level".

I understand the terms, but I wanted to save myself a bit of fiddling about...

TIA.

2. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    Hi Darren

I have an ELAC Cinema 1 abd I set my sub to:

X-over - 100 (this is what the speakers go down to)
    Sub level - just over half way sounds best to me, but this is a suck it and see setting. I don't like too much bass, but others do!

HTH

3. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Do you mean the satellite speakers go down to 100? I haven't looked at the specs properly yet (perhaps I should have! :rolleyes: )

4. Dunky

Dunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I don't mean to hijack the thread (but I'm going to anyway!) but I'm looking for some feedback on this speaker package because it's at the top of my list at the moment. I'm considering buying the Elac Cinema 1 package plus one extra satellite to give me a 6.1 system. This will then be hooked up to a Marantz SR5300 or Denon 1803/2802. I've heard that the speakers are comparatively hard to drive so I just wanted to ask if you've had any trouble supplying them with enough power? Will my shortlisted amps do the job?

Cheers

D

5. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Turn this thread around, you're taking me to Tokyo! :D

(Bonus points if you can name the actor and film I paraphrased that from).

I was told by my contact at Sevenoaks Sound&Vision (Norwich branch) that the Elac Cinema 1 package works quite well with the Denon 1803. Mind you, I'm no audiophile and on account of semi-detatchedness I'm not after earth-shaking volume levels either.

I should be hooking it all up this weekend, so I'll let you know.

6. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    Dunky

I'm very pleased with my set but these are the only 5.1 speaker set that I've ever owned. I drive them with a Sony STRDB780S which sounds great (but again this is the only amp I've ever owned!). I chose the Elac's because they had good reviews in the mags and on these forums a lot of people have them and are happy. Just to be sure I demoed the Elac's against a Mission set (can't remeber the model name but they were around £300) and the sound was so much better with the Elac's.

The combination of my amp and the speakers sound excellent for DD and DTS but similarly to Darren I live in a terrace so can never turn the volume up too loud! :thumbsdow The only disappointing thing is PLII for Sky, doesn't sound that good - not sure if this is due to the speakers, the amp or the fact that I was expecting too much of PLII.

Have never heard your selection of amps but they should be fine for these speakers. The best bet would be to go to a dealer and get a demo - if they sound good to your ears, buy them, if they don't, don't!

HTH