1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Settings For All DLP sets

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Razor, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hello everyone I thought I would start this thread for everyone to post their settings for their DLP set (all makes and models). This may help people fine tune their sets and obtain a better picture. I will also include the peice of AV equipment attached as this will effect the set up levels. Hardware such as Sky box, Sky plus, telewest/NTL recievers, freeview, dvd players and pc.

The Settings below are for the Optoma RD65 with a Pace mark II sky plus box connected (sky contrast is set on high), via scart RGB.

Contrast: 8
    Brightness: 17
    Colour: 15
    Tint:15
    Sharpness: 16
    Intensity: 17
    Colour Temp: neutral
    Red: 15
    Green: 15
    Blue: 15
    ICC Y: 15
    Gamma: 0

These settings are for my pc connected via DVI from ATI X800XT PE.

Brightness: 18
    Colour: 16
    Sharpness: 16

These settings are for my Sony DVP725 dvd player outputing comp-i

Brightness: 17
    Colour: 16
    Sharpness: 17

I havent messed around with the red, green, blue, iccy, gamma settings as you can see. There is no mention of what these settings in the RD50/RD65 manual. Has anyone had success in fine tuning these settings? Anyway I hope these settings may help Optoma owners.

2. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sammy 50 setting.

Contrast 85
    Sharpness 45
    Sharpness 75
    Colour 35
    Tint R/G 50 (neutral)

Connected to Sky+
    Contrast setting on high.

This gives a very nice, natural picture with no DLP pq problems such as rainbow. Pq better than medium price plasma on these settings.

Hope this helps you boys, Misty

3. Les

Les
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Tosh 52mw48 settings, using old style Pace Sky box, Panny S97 DVD, Panny LA95 DVD

Contrast: 68
    Brightness: 53
    Colour: 50
    Tint: 0
    Sharpness: 0
    DNR: 0
    Black stretch: off
    Colour Temp: Normal
    Lamp mode: Low power

Don't get much of anything to spoil the really good picture. Even sky channels are mostly OK. Only recent 'blemish' was during part 2 of Supervolcano, during smoky scenes with torchlight showing 'layered' grey scale around torch.

4. DLPGirl

DLPGirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: :thumbsup: Great thread all i need is a sammy now so i can contribute. Hopefully getting it tomorrow :thumbsup: :D

5. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    mmmmm... i'll check my settings but i know for my game setup's i like the dark area's to be dark but i think my colour and is slightly off bah i need some sort of disc to help me get the right settings.

for now ive stuck with the selections RD50 has to offer for dvd's

oh hello again DLPgirl :hiya:

6. DLPGirl

DLPGirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey i have picked up my panny S97 for 149 quid do u reckon its worth it in terms of picture quality. Panasonic seem to be clearing it out!!!!

7. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    well for £149 you cant really go wrong, its got HDMI connection lots of picture settings and hell it plays mp3 its a bargain at that price and i payed £250 for mine :rotfl: yes i know i should have waited but mines multi region.

you cant go wrong with the S97 you can tell from the peeps in this forum that they are very happy with their S97 :clap:

8. digitize

digitize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From where did you pick up your S97 with that price?

technology works this way - immitate, integrate, innovate...

9. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Optoma RD50 I havent touched any of the colour settings as i find it's perfect as it is
    icc y i assume refers to the color space along the y axis (colour space x y z) all monitors & printers have a colour space.
    Gamma i don't understand precisely but varies the brightness & can help bring out detail in the blacks
    The default Cinema setting is pretty good & i ocassionally use vivd on a bright day

For PC DVD i use WinDVD at the default colour settings and the RD50 user settings are
    contrast 8
    brightness 16
    Colour 15
    Tint 15
    Sharpness 16
    Intensity 16
    Colour Temp neutral
    Red 15
    Green 15
    Blue 15
    icc y 15
    Gamma 0
    Allways try & get a full range of blacks with as much detail in them as possible if you have contrast set to high you lose detail

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Steve try turning your contrast down to around 8 and I bet you will see evan more detail on the blacks. I used starwars and the THX optomizer to set my contrast levels. Darth Vaders outfit is a good tester as its has matt and shiney black. There are loads of knobs, dials etc. Also the creases in the cloak are not visable with the contrast turned up too high. Give it a try ;)

11. Les

Les
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Paid £240 for my multi region S97, so you should buy 2 :)

12. DLPGirl

DLPGirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I decided to go for it in the end its 149 direct from panasonic. Getting my Sammy 50 screen tommorow so will hook it up and hopefully be amazed.

Saw the sammy in the shop pic was awfull i am guessing it was the feed. Somehow plamsa screens always have higher contrasts in every shop i go!!! I belive its what the feed them and after much deliberation bought the sammy. I hope it is as good as people say it is in this forum!!!

13. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    good choice for the dvd player but now you have to make sure your get some nice HDMI cables for your DLP :) you do get some hdmi -> hdmi cables with the dvd player (i assume) so you can try them out and decide whether you need new cables :)

:hiya:

tell us what you think when you get the tv and dvd player :rolleyes: so.... seeing anyone? :D

14. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most of the time with Telewest i just need to use the default cinema setting
    which seems to have the contrast set low (be good to find out the settings Optoma used they seem really good)
    I watched a film Tuesday night on Telewest Crimes of Passion from 1984
    & those were the settings that worked best.
    I have borrowed a Avia Home Theartre Setup DVD this week & will give it a try later.

15. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    I used to have mine contrast set at 12 and thought it was fine. It was only when I watched starwars with my father that he insisted that I was loosing a lot of black detail. So I turned it down to around 9 and then a week or so later to 8 when I ran the THX optomiser. Give old darth vaders cloak a go and see what I mean. I have to still run Avia to calibrate, I will post if theres much difference. :)

16. DLPGirl

DLPGirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DVD player came with a HDMI cable surely its enough am i really gonnna see much of a difference if i fork out on a expensive moster HDMI cable? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Also i have a inspiron 8000 old laptop how can i connect it to the Sammy can anybody help?? :lease: :lease:

17. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These settings are for all my tv and dvd viewing.

Contrast = 50
    Brightness = 48
    Sharpness = 5
    Colour = 35
    Colour tone = Normal
    Digital noise reduction = ON
    DNie = ON
    Red = 50
    Green = 20
    Blue = 50

X-Box via RGB Scart

Contrast = 65
    Brightness = 57
    Sharpness = 0
    Colour = 41
    Colour tone = Normal
    Digital noise reduction = ON
    DNie = ON
    Red = 50
    Green = 50
    Blue = 50

18. wisedesi

wisedesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not planning to start war of words :devil: , but in my humble opinion :lesson: :lesson: you don't need to have expensive monster cable. Actually you don't need expensive cable for any of the digital input. Reason being that when you have a digital signal either you have it and not have it, so, if you are getting signal cable is fine. Getting another cable will not give any change in picture quality. so, never buy expensive cable fore HDMI, DVI, Optical audio or Coax audio.

You should buy good cable for component,composite and svideo. Hope this will help.

19. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Digital signals still suffer from noise and degradation. I've seen squarewaves become sawtooths in shape. The DSP has to sort out the point to react to the signal bit and interference can introduce some unwanted image noise. There comes a point when the gains from improving the cable diminish into madness. Don't spend to much, but look for a minimum of gold plated contacts (avoids bimetallic corrosion) and triple screening. Keep them as short as you can and away from 50Hz mains cables as with some current they can be quite inductive.

20. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

A nice and techincal response mrmoo. I was gettng mains interferance through my cables into the RD65. I had a dark band which started 10 cm from the top and went straight across the screen and finished over half way down the screen. Basically 2 foot high. I thought I had a dud RD65 but it was the mains interfering with my cables. Easy to solve. :D

21. wisedesi

wisedesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree in a sense that square wave will now have some sawtooth kind of effect but still I don't think it will really cause problem for DSP to recognizes the signal bit, Those tooth effect will be always very much smaller then the edge.

As I said before I have not seen a PQ difference between expensive monster cable and other cheap cables on digital output.

You might be right in sense of avoiding bimetallic corrosion but I still think under controlled environment (in your home) that should not be a big problem.

Everybody has different thoughts and that why "Monster" survives. :devil:

22. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I spent £60 on a Monster Scart and it isnt any better than hte cheap freebie that comes with the telly.

So I tried an old Cambridge Audio Scart which I paid £20 for, and an amazing difference. Thenm tried an old Vivanco I paid £20 for, not quite as good as the CA. Then tried my favourite IXOS, I paid £45 for, then the QED I paid £50 for.

MONSTER IS TOOOOO OVER RATED!! The Ixos or Qed does me proud!

23. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

IXOS is my fav :clap: :clap: :clap: I have spent well over a grand on IXOS leads

24. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +910
    i get the ixos scarts at trade they work about half the price but i use qed stuff only because i get them at trade as well :thumbsup:

25. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also had that experience with the Monster scart, i have an Cambridge scart at the moment.
    I went out to get a scart and £70 later got home , trying to justify to the missus the cost,( it is only a lead she said ) i connected it up and i honestly thought i had been conned, no difference at all, so i took it back to the store and got a refund.

26. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

Monster cables hae a really bad rep. I always thought they were cheap cables sold in commet or currys. I never looked at the prices. Do the magazines rate them? :D

27. nk89

nk89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey everyone :hiya:
    Just wondering... for all the ppl who have posted settings and numbers and such, could you guys maybe recommend some specific movies that have scenes good for calibrating contrast/brightness/color etc. to one's desire?
    Thanks! :D

28. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have used the Lord of the Rings - Return of the King :smashin: as a good Demo tool as I seek out a replacement for the excellent Sagem HD-D50. Mostly these are things based around the brightness and colour settings. I am told (??):confused: ‘Contouring’ can be minimised by adjusting brightness and gamma but either way I understand this effect which is clear to see is a feature of poor setup not a limitation of DLP

The opening pre-menu sequence should show a Blue book and most DLPs I have seen show this as black. (See the Amazon book cover here - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000634DCW/ref=nosim/tolkiensites-20/102-9232112-0019306). The book and the surrounding candles contour heavily on some DLPs instead of fading in cleanly.

The meeting with Saroman and the party at his tower (Chapter one) should clearly show the red (not brown or black) under armour tunic of Theodin King of Rohan and the many shades of Worm tongue’s rags

‘Arwen's vision’ chapter includes a small section when the scene cuts back to the Elvin King who stands next to a pillar musing her departure from middle earth. The pillar contours heavily initially at this cut-scene on some DLPs

Midway through the charge of the Rohirrum princess Eowyn screams ‘death’ in reply to the king’s battle cry. Her helmet should be battered iron with a battered bronze/gold strip around the edges which comes across as more shiny silver on some DLPs. (If the black is not set too dark you will see she also seems to have a few fillings in her lower left hand teeth!)

Hope this helps configuration but it certainly helps me see the difference in demos between sets.

:thumbsup:

29. Mr Footlong

Mr Footlong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hmm, bringing this back from the dead but it's well worth it. Razor, you sir ar a star. I will be trying your settings on my RD65 as soon as I have the living room settled down in the next week or so :smashin:.

30. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Thank you Mr Footlong. :D

If you notice the contrast levels are turned right down. This brings out the black detail which is lost at the standard settings (15). :)