Settings for a Philips 36" p+

C

Cheese Police

Hi,
I have a Philips 36pw9527 set, which I find OK, but obviously some of the digital artifacts that show up when I'm watching DVDs are a bit aggravating and distracting. Has anyone found the best way of mitigating these effects using the settings? Is the clarity when watching only in 100hz mode similar to what you'd see on a non p+ set? I find it quite blurry, but maybe that's just a relative thing.

Secondly, I noticed that when I play my superbit Gladiator DVD there are far fewer artifacts than on standard r2 DVDs, and it's much better at panning shots, motion etc... Since this seems to indicate that part of the problem comes from the source material, or the DVD player possibly, will I notice any improvement if I buy an expensive DVD player (I currently have a 3 year-old Sony DVP s535) such as an Arcam DV27? Will the picture appear cleaner and less 'digitized'? Thanks a lot

thanks for that - I'll experiment with those settings. do you think that the 'shimmering' effect can be reduced with a better DVD player?

It's possible that it may improve the problem if the new DVD player has reduced MPEG block artefacts compared to your current one. It's the blockiness that the TV doesn't lilke processing. I have a dirt cheap budget player and hardly ever come across shimmering. I still see it with low bitrate broadcasts on Sky however. ;)

Thanks for those settings - I tried them last night while watching Solaris, and I think the picture is definitely more natural. I couldn't see much with the brightness set to 33 though (the film is mostly set indoors, in a space station), so that got bumped up. ta

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom