1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up...Yamaha/Kef 'eggs'

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Silva, Jan 26, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Silva

Silva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    If anybody out there has got a YAMAHA DSP-AX620 and the KEF 'eggs', could you please give me some ideas as to how to set them up. I have got sound out of all speakers in 5.1 but it seems lower than what I thought it would be. In other words I have to have the volume level at nearly full to get any kind of high volume out of the speakers.

Any advice would help, as Im new to the amp and seperates game...

2. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sound output from a DVD source will have to be cranked higher on all amps as he DVD sound is more compressed. On my Sony amp you have the volume around 60 for Sky Digital, but for DVD its around 40-50 even higher for some DVD's. There is not a lot you can do except maybe buy a 5 channel power amp connected to the pre out sockets on the amp.I did this because i want to get a seperate processor in the future. If you try any DTS discs, the sound will be louder as the sound is less compressed.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    What do you call high volume ? Do you mean night club type high volume or cinema style.

I watch films loudly and on my old Yamaha this meant 10 or 11 o'clock on the amp.

Funnily enough, I now have the same amp as Geoff and at 60 can hardly hear it. I play films at 30 on my current Sony and 45 for normal TV.

4. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What kind of volume control does your amp have?? Is it the type that just keeps turning without a stop limit? If it is then the volume will need to be cranked up a lot more but in truth its only the same volume as you would get with the old style volume with numbers around the dial. What power rating is your amp and eggs? Are the eggs more powerful than the amp??. Are you trying to get really loud cinema volume out of the amp?

5. Silva

Silva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Yes the volume control turns right round, also the power output of the eggs are 100 watts each and the amp is 90 watts output I believe. I am aiming for cinema style 'loudness' not night club. But why does the dial have to be so far up to get almost 'cinema' sound?

6. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is just the way amps are designed and because dvd sound is so compressed to fit on one disc. Try a DTS disc , it will sound louder cause its less compressed. The amp should go loud to your volume and then some more, it doesnt matter what number in -db it is, as long as you get the volume and remember to turn the volume down if you have sky cause you will get blasted out, also on the HCC website i found a review of the amp.

TECHNICAL ANALYSIS

Manufacturer's rated output: 5 x 90W RMS (0.06% THD, 8 ohms, 1kHz)

Max. output at onset of clipping: 93.5W RMS @ 2.7% THD

Fidelity Firewall output: 68.7W RMS @ 0.05% THD

As you can see the firewall for your amp is only 68.7, bit different to the quoted 90 watts per channel. why don't you try your eggs on a more powerful amp at say Richer Sounds or whatever you have near you.

7. Silva

Silva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Whatexactly does changing the output levels (db) of each individual speaker do? It goes from -10db to +10db will changing these have an effect on the 'loudness' or not?

Also is there any difference between co-axial and optical digital output for DVDs - I am using co-axial.

Also what exactly is this ' crossover' business? Im sorry but the
    instructions that come with the kefs are miniscule to say the least...

8. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, adjusting each channel will boost the output power slightly, each channel should be the same level. Try use THX optimsier that comes with dvd's like T2 and Pearl Harbour. I have set my centre channel to +8, just to boost dialogue in heavy action scenes.

9. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, adjusting each channel will boost the output power slightly, each channel should be the same level. Try use THX optimsier that comes with dvd's like T2 and Pearl Harbour. I have set my centre channel to +8, just to boost dialogue in heavy action scenes. There is no real difference between coaxial and optical. Coaxial is preferred as you will get less interference.