setting up wireless on Sony K315B

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by s1hastie, Aug 2, 2006.

1. s1hastie

s1hastie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Just got this laptop today trying to set it up for wireless use but encountering problems. Am not too technical so it maybe something simple apologies in advance for the length of post.

We have a main pc at home that the router is connected to. There have been 2 other laptops running wirelessley of this no problems.

I bought the following PCMCIA card from ebay

: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....30011590616&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

Plugged it in the laptop found it and seemed to install the software that came with it on a burnt cd. Going through the connection settings it brings up a list of networks available, the one I want to connect to is there and shows as secure (WPA PSK). I click on it to connect and get an error saying "cannot connect device may be out of range" I am right next to it.

Anyone got any ideas? Am I doing something wrong? Is it the network card that is faulty? Or is it a problem with the laptop?

Someone please help before I throw it through the window.

2. s1hastie

s1hastie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Ok quick update, have tried this card in another laptop it didnt work. Also tried a different network card in mine it did work.
    So safe to say its not the laptop thats the problem.

So is it that the card is faulty? Or incorrect drivers? I was thinking I could look at downloading drivers off the net but don't know what make the card is!

3. nehalem

nehalem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    When connecting wireless for the first time, I always turn off the security as its more of a hinderance. Once its connected then you can switch it on, but for ease of config I would switch it off whilst setting up. I would just pickup a decent branded 802.11g card as 802.11b is old tech now and surely on the bay, they can't be much more!