1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up Wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by realitybites, May 8, 2005.

1. realitybites

realitybites
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am hoping for some help setting this wireless network up. I have previously set this up, I haven't the faintest idea how I did it, but I did, and now I cannot for the life of me re-create the steps I had to have taken in the first place. The bits I have are a Benq AWL 700 wireless router and a Safecom SAMR-4110 ADSL Broadband Modem. I am running Win Xp. I don't really know what order to set these up or what the settings should be, IP addy's and the rest. First time round it was definitely more luck than judgement as all I did was put in the passwords that came with the literature, (and a little help from forum members then) it doesn't seem to be as easy this time. Still with the same provider, Wanadoo so nothing has really changed, other than me grasping the fundamentals of setting this up that is. All help always appreciated

2. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I''l try to help if I can but first, really need to know a bit more. Like for instance, if nothings changed what exactly is the problem? That's not meant to be a put down or anything, just what changed from your previous set up?

I say that because I have a wireless set up, used to be on freeserve and got a bit fed up with it (I thought it was the wireless connection causing me problems but it wasn't, it was freeserve) so disconnected it and put it away. I moved about a year later, thought I'll get the stuff out again, plugged it in and it worked straight away without doing anything. These units usually retain your settings in flash memory.

You access both the router and modem via a web browser but you'll need to look at your documentation to see what the address is (it's probably common to all PC's but I can't remember off the top of my head). As to the order it didn't really matter with mine but personally, I set up the modem first so I can check out manufacturers websites for help and you then know the internet connection is working.

I'm not really sure if this helps..... I'd just connect it all together and see if it works first.

3. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try www.adslguide.org.uk. Forums there are pretty useful.

4. realitybites

realitybites
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. Handy site that 888. Joe, I think my problem lies with the modem, when it is plugged in I get no response from windows to say it has found it so I can load the driver, I think I might have a faulty modem so I think a little more investigation is in order.

5. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is your modem connected via your router or on one of your PC's? you can set up both (depending on the modem) but you'll need the host PC on of course for the latter. If your Modem is connected to the router via a network cable, windows wont detect it, it becomes like a PC in itself. You have to access it via your browser to set it up. Is your modem a USB only connection or does it have a network connection or both?

6. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes, Jon has a point. When I read your post it sounded like you have an ADSL modem plugged into the wall and connected via an ethernet cable to the wireless router. that's the best setup and in that case your pc doesn't need any driver.

The problem could be that both your wireless router and the modem are routers and you need to set up the modem in a certain way to disable its router capability (as you're using the wireless router). It sounds like you're having and IP conflict between the two routers. First check your connection between PC and wireless router. I'm not sure how familiar you are with these things, but if you get a connection you should be able to log into the router via your Internet Explorer (type the router's IP address, which is something like 192.168.100.1, then login with your password). Now check how the router is set up, i.e. whether it's DHCP or Static IP, etc. The same procedure you have to do with the modem router (via an ethernet cable). There's several ways of doing this, but I would disable the modem router's DHCP server and give it a static IP address that needs to be different from your wireless router. Then set the WAN port of the wireless router to static IP as well. Difficult to explain in words all this, sorry.

7. realitybites

realitybites
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon and MPK, thanks for the valuable input. I am not too familiar with IP addy's and other terminology I'm afraid. I can tell you that my setup is as you described, modem router going into wireless router. I have turned my Laptop on and it shows the wireless router as an available network so I thinjk that it is configured correctly. I have my Safecom router/modem connected but the driver is not installed, that's if I need it. Not sure how to access settings and am continually trying to delete settings to begin over.

8. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hmm...if you say "network available" does that mean you're not connected to the network? Obviously you need to try that first and this is independent of the modem/internet connection. right click on the Wireless Connection icon in the taskbar, then click View Available Networks. Highlight your network and click Connect. See what happens, if you get green bars and are connected then it's definitely a problem between the wireless router and the modem router.

This might be an insult to your intelligence, but make sure the modem router is connected to the WAN port on your wireless router, not any other. :)

9. realitybites

realitybites
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, get green bars and excellent reception but no actual connection. The available network coming up is my wireless router but no modem for connection. I have tried linking the modem directly to my pc but windows doesn't give any indication that it has found it and I cannot see it in my system using control panel. Funny thing is, my ethernet connection comes up disconnected cable when the modem isn't plugged in, but says connected when it is?

10. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    forget plugging the modem into the PC. Clearly you are using the network cable, not the USB connection hence the PC wont see it (It kind of is with the network cable but only so far as there's something on the end of it - your modem - but it wont recognise it as such if that makes sense).

Plug this network cable into the WAN socket on the wireless router and try to connect to the internet. I'm hoping your settings are still intact on the modem (since they clearly are on the wireless router).

If it doesn't connect, don't worry as you are half way there to solving your problem i.e. your wireless network is working.

To access your modem settings, type 10.0.0.2 in the address bar of your browser and hit return.

In all honesty, if you get to that stage but are not still connected, it shouldn't be too difficult to sort you out from there. My D link adsl modem will still have the freeserve settings in it but try the above first, you never know :)

11. realitybites

realitybites
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon, thanks for your patience and time thus far. I have followed your instructions and the setup is exactly as you describe. After putting the settings into the address bar I just get page not found. When I try to get online I get error 678, server not found. I have an easy setup utility for my modem that lets you input the info host IP address and passwords etc. I get everything except connection to the internet. I am currently using dial up until I sort these probs out. When I go to the easy config screen it tells me I am connected to the internet (while using dial-up). Do you think there could be something wrong with my ADSL feed? I have rung up wanadoo but they are adamant that there is no problem in my area.

12. realitybites

realitybites
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MPK, I have eliminated probs with any of the cables between wireless router and router/modem, I think the problem somehow lies with the modem, configuration or otherwise. Have all the lights showing on the modem that it is active so I am assuming it is working. Is there anyway to delete all the settings for the networks so I can keep trying different approaches.

13. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sorry for the delay, but I've been away. It seems your connection between PC and wireless router is fine. Now try again plugging the modem directly into the PC. As Jon said your PC will not "detect" the modem as it is connected via the ethernet connection, which is also why you don't need a driver. Once you connect the modem directly to the PC (and yes, it's normal that it says network disconnected when you unplug it) you should be able to get an internet connection, otherwise it's definitely the modem. if you can't access any internet site, try logging into the modem's setup screen, which is done by typing its ip address into the Internet Explorer address bar (I think it should be 10.0.0.2). For this to work, you need to go in Internet Explorer to Tools/Internet Options/Connections/LAN Settings and make sure all boxes are UNticked. Then it might ask you for a login, which is usually Admin if you haven't changed it.

I've found a good site supporting your modem with a manual and the latest firmware (which you should update). http://www.adsltech.com/faq/

Make sure your modem works when directly plugged into the PC, then it will most likely also work via the wireless router. I'm sure your modem will have some sort of Auto Setup function.