Setting up WiFi / Connecting network cable

HL9901

Novice Member
Have never owned an HDTV before. Just purchased a Samsung QN55Q80AA for delivery tomorrow, so bear with me as I ask a couple newbie questions.

Besides their standard delivery and setup charges, the store wanted an additional $60 for "setting up WiFi." I declined that. I assumed I could easily configure WiFi myself, by simply going into the TV network settings and entering my router's WiFi password. Is that all there is to it? Or am I missing something?

And in general, what is the purpose of having the TV connected to my WiFi network? I assume it's for streaming content from the internet in order to watch it on my TV. Anything else?

I'm also wondering about the RJ-45 network jack on the back of the TV. What would be the purpose of plugging one of my router's network cables into the TV? The same functionality that a WiFi connection provides, it just being a wired connection instead?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

mikej

Yes, setting up Wi-Fi should just a case of picking your network from a list and entering your password - this is normally done as part of the initial set-up process but if you have a router nearby then connecting via ethernet is likely to be the better option. You will get the same internet functionality whichever option you use, but there may be differences in reliability and speed, depending on your home network set-up. I always hardwire via ethernet if there is an option to do so.

Connecting your TV to the internet will give you access to the streaming service apps your TV supports, plus it'll allow the TV to receive firmware updates.

There may be other benefits to having your TV on your home network as well (depending on the specs of the TV you've chosen), such as beng able to 'cast' from your smartphone to TV or being able to control the TV's functions via your phone or a smart speaker (using your voice) instead of the remote. You might also be able to play movie or music files and display photos from other suitable devices or storage on your network.

Last edited:

HL9901

Novice Member
Thanks for the explanation, got it. When it comes to internet content that's available for my TV, is there any that's free? Or does it all require some kind of fee-based subscription plan?

mikej

The decent streaming services (eg. Netflix, Prime, Disney+ etc) require a subscription.

Here in the UK, we also have free options in the form of 'catch-up' apps which allow us access to programs previously broadcast on the main channels on our terrestrial 'Freeview' platform* but I don't know whether you have anything similar in the US.

From what I've seen of the other streaming apps on my Amazon Fire TV Stick that offer free content without a subscription, they're all trash !

You'll have to look through your TV's app store and see what's available :)

* a TV license is required to watch iPlayer for content from the BBC

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom