1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up VW11 from scratch..

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Cambo, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After reading the comments on the 'muted' review of the VW11, it became apparent that there is an abundance of knowledge floating about this forum regarding the sony PJ.
    If I was ever in doubt about buying a Sony VW11HT, the comments made in the aforementioned thread has renewed my ehusiasm for this fantastic projector.
    I am receiving my W11 in a couple of weeks time, and like many others, would like to lean on everyone's experience on how to effectively set the Sony up from scratch.
    Maybe all VW11 owners could add to this thread their setup tweaks and anything that may help the likes of myself benefit from their experiences.
    May I start the ball rolling with the correct distance the pj should be from a 8 foot (96") wide 16/9 screen and would a screen gain off 1.3 make any difference to that distance?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    This is based on my own experience with my VW10, which, for the purposes of your question (only) is much the same thing.

1) Distance: The user manual contains a formula to work this out. The lens on the VW10 has a very limited zoom feature that gives you a little flexibility in the precise position. Don't treat this as exact, but you will need to position the PJ back from the screen approximately 1.5x the screen's width. A screen with gain will have no effect on this distance.

2) Vertical position - assuming your screen is vertical, you will need to position the PJ with the centre of the lens as close as you can to level with EITHER the bottom of the screen OR the top of the screen if the PJ is inverted eg in a ceiling mount. Outside of this, you will need to use the inbuilt keystone correection which does work very well.

3) Horizontal position - you need to position it laterally so that the centre of the lens is equidistant from the two vertical edges of the screen (ie, horizontally centred).

4) Basic Tweaks: You will need to calibrate brightness and contrast correctly to get the best results. You first need to choose which colour balance setting (High, Low, Custom 1-4) you prefer as the settings will differ for each.

Adjust brightness by playing a typical source (eg DVD) which has a letterboxed image on it. Set the PJ to its 4x3 (normal) mode. This will place your letterboxed image in the centre of the screen, with the vertical black bars either side. Compare the brightness of the horizontal black bars coming from the DVD with the vertical black bars generated by the PJ. Adjust brightness down to the point where you can't see any difference, then increase it, "notch" by "notch" until you can literally just see a difference.

Adjust contrast by finding a scene with a very bright area. Pause this, then adjust the contrast up to the point where slightly darker-than-white areas disappear into the white. Then adjust it back down to the point where this nearly-white detail has all reappeared. Go any further, and your whites will just get darker. Contrast is a bit trickier and you may need to recalibrate it.

If you have a DVD with THX Optimiser on it, this is a useful tool to help in this.

Adjust colour intensity to suit your taste.

5) More advanced tweaks. You can enter the service menu and set your own colour setting. Doing this can increase the available contrast above factory settings.

You can increase the available contrast even further by affixing a pink colour correcting filter to the lens, and then adjusting, via the service menu, the colour balance to offset the pink tint. A CC20R or CC30R filter is suitable, from www.formatt.co.uk . Mine cost £10.50. This will decrease the brightness of black by (guess) 50%.

6) You can get much more detail on this PJ by visiting the forum on www.thebigpicturedvd.com

Enjoy.

3. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Pretty much agree with what Nigel said (mine also a VW10), check the big picture link above there's a whole section I used on setting up the VW10, which was really useful.

I'd also suggest you try the filter out, it does make a big difference (not sure about 50% though). It only costs 10 quid and 1/2 an hour playing with colour settings to give it a try.

4. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you.
    Everything you need to know about the VW11 is listed at :- http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/
    Fantastic resource site.
    I downloaded the Pj calculator and worked out (hopefully correctly) that my Pj should be 12.8 feet from my screen.
    I would prefer to mount it 14 feet away. Is this possible, and if so what difference would it make?

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    As I said above, the PJ has a limited zoom range on it, so the calculated 12.8 feet must be +/- a bit.

What difference? The further the screen is away from the PJ, the larger the image. Go too far and the image will be larger than the screen. Too near, and it won't fill the screen. The zoom lens will enlarge or shrink the image to fit - but only has a small range of adjustment. If you go too far back, the zoom lens won't be able to shrink the image down enough to fit it onto the screen.

BTW, A screen with GAIN has no effect on size. It does have an effect on brightness. The Sony is already very bright so you won't need any gain. Indeed many users prefer a pale grey screen (which actually has a negative amount of gain) as it improves black level.