Setting Up TV's In The Office For Olympics - ADVICE PLEASE

stayingsafe

1. We have a Panasonic TH 65PF9BK 65" Plamsa Display Screen which I want to get hooked up to watch TV. I have a cable that runs from the aerial to the plasma unit but it has no aerial-in socket or tv tuner.

So I want to buy a freeview set top box, plug the aerial into it, and connect the box to the plasma screen, but the connectivity options are limited to component (BNC x3, dvi-digital, VGA or Serial.

What is the best way to connect it to transmit both audio & picture? Would a RGB component cable at each end be OK? Will I need the red,green blue cable, or the one with 5 colours for video and picture?

Any help will be welcome, thanks

lbear

You will have to confirm that your DVI input complies with copy protection and is therefore fully compatible with HDMI. You can then get a Freeview HD tuner (Tescos for £40) and a HDMI>DVI lead which will possibly cost almost the same.

As an alternative, you could get a DVB tuner USB stick and connect it to a laptop. You can then run a VGA lead from the laptop to provide the video and a separate audio lead, likely a 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack

Fred Smith

I bought a HDMI to DVD-I lead from Ebay for my Raspberry Pi for £2.12 so while the price will vary with length I don't see where it will cost £40. Don't forget you will need a audio amplifier if the screen does not have one or suitable audio leads if it does.

Also don't forget your office may need a TV licence as well if it does not have one:

BBC News - TV licence warning for Olympics viewers

MarkE19

The Panasonic Pro Panel plasma screens do have a built in 20w amp, but the speakers were an optional extra and so speakers will be required if the screen doesn't have them attached.
The DVI input is your best bet for connecting an HDMI Freeview box to this panel, but that wont carry audio, so another cable (probably 2x phono to 3.5mm jack) will be required - or use PC speakers etc connected to the STB.

But as already mentioned you do need to have a TV license for your office to be able to watch any TV programs.

Mark.

stayingsafe

We've got a TV licence, no worries on that front.

I checked the TV and the DVI slot is actually missing the DVI card so I assume this was an optional extra so that rules out HDMI to DVI cable :(

I bought an i-Can freeview digital receiver: http://www.amazon.co.uk/i-Can-GBR2851T-Freeview-Digital-Receiver/dp/B00524YSYS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343652194&sr=1-1

I then bought one of these cables. Thought it was perfect, HDMI to component but it doesn't work and I should have read the reviews :eek: http://www.amazon.co.uk/HDMI-Audio-...ectronics&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1343650967&sr=1-2

I guess my only options would be to buy one of these proper boxes...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Component-Video-YPbPr-HDMI-Converter/dp/B00622M08U/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343652144&sr=1-2

Or buy a freeview box that just has standard component connections?

Or can I use HDMI to DVI and then a little switch to convert the DVI into VGA and plug that into the VGA input on the plasma display?

MarkE19

That's a good start :smashin:
I checked the TV and the DVI slot is actually missing the DVI card so I assume this was an optional extra so that rules out HDMI to DVI cable :(
but this isn't so good :thumbsdow
That should do the job, as long as you can get it connected to the plasma.......
I then bought one of these cables. Thought it was perfect, HDMI to component but it doesn't work and I should have read the reviews :eek: HDMI Male to 5 RCA RGB Audio Video AV Component Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
:oops: these are a complete waste of money and can never work. HDMI is a digital only connection and Component is an analogue only connection. They shouldn't be allowed to get away with selling this rubbish :mad:
This is starting to get expensive and wouldn't work anyway as that converts from Compoent to HDMI and you need to go the other way.
That would probably be the easiest option - if you can find one.
The only Freeview box I know of that output Component (via its scart socket) was the old Topfield PVR's. But they are discontinued now and not HD. There may well be others though.
Or can I use HDMI to DVI and then a little switch to convert the DVI into VGA and plug that into the VGA input on the plasma display?
Not just a simple switch could do this. Again HDMI is digital only and VGA is analogue only so it would require a lot more electronics to do it - soomething like the HDFury.

Another possibility would be to get a scart to Component converter. These are all analogue so a much simpler conversion and therefore cheaper to buy. Something like this should work with the equipment you have - RGB to YUV Component Video Converter Only £73.03 at TVCables

Another option - HDMI to YUV / YPbPr Converter with L&R Audio - J.S. Technology Ltd

Mark.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
That's 1 problem less ;)
I guess my only options would be to buy one of these proper boxes...
Nope.. That's for going from Component --> HDMI

You need HDMI ---> Component e.g. the HD Fury or HDAnywhere devices (not that I can vouch either work). Although my son has a similar device to connect his Sky HD box to a component in on his plasma TV. They must have HDCP inside.

I don't know of any - and NONE are HD capable (it's banned under the Freeview HD spec - and freesat HD spec too, for that matter).

Or can I use HDMI to DVI and then a little switch to convert the DVI into VGA and plug that into the VGA input on the plasma display?[/SIZE]
I guess you could (provided the hdmi-> device has HDCP built-in), I'd worry a bout picture quality, though.

stayingsafe

The freeview box has a scart socket. What about a SCART to RCA connector. http://www.amazon.co.uk/RCA-SCART-Adapter-Composite-PlayStation/dp/B0035XB4Z4

Then just plug a cables in from TV to here?

The TV has RGB/Composite Outputs, Y/G Pb/B Pr/R so not sure if this simple solution will work?

At this point I dont care if its an HD picture, I just want to connect the freeview box to the TV somehow!!! Its better than running it through iPlayer which freezes now and then.

MarkE19

When I search for the specs of the Panasonic TH 65PF9BK it does not list it as having a Composite video input, so if true then the scart adapter wont work.
Although a scart can carry RGB it is specifically RGBcvS (composite sync), but the plasma has RGsB (sync on green) and the 2 types of RGB are not directly compatible with each other - although the specs I've seen didn't specifically state that it accept RGB, just Y,Pr,Pb Component.

Mark.

stayingsafe

Extracted from the user guide! There must be a way to connect some sort of freebox box to the TV! Through RGB or component

2ni78sj.jpg

MarkE19

So that does at least show that the plasma does not have a composite video input, so one of the adapters from one of my previous posts will be required to connect any Freeview box to this display.
I suppose another way of doing it would be to get a Freeview tuner for a PC/laptop and then connect that to the VGA input of the plasma, for example:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004C117...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B004C1176E - Freeview HD
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000F8RP...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B000F8RPQE

Mark.

stayingsafe

Done. Found one of those Digital TV dongles in the office, which is how the TV was originally hooked up in the previous office. Plugged in, installed software & it works well.

Not a 100% crisp picture, as its got a VGA from PC to Plasma but it will do. At least its not streaming via iPlayer. I still need to figure out how to connect it via component without spending the earth.

So that does at least show that the plasma does not have a composite video input, so one of the adapters from one of my previous posts will be required to connect any Freeview box to this display.
I suppose another way of doing it would be to get a Freeview tuner for a PC/laptop and then connect that to the VGA input of the plasma, for example:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004C117...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B004C1176E - Freeview HD
Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T USB Stick - DVB-T Digital freeview TV tuner stick: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Mark.

Fred Smith

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom