• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Setting up TV with Marantz Receiver- zone questions

joshvt

Novice Member
I am new here and apologize if I am posting this in the wrong place. My understanding of TV and A/V technology is pretty elementary, so I need help...

Last weekend we purchased a Samsung Q6F 49" tv to replace our 10 year old Sharp. Our house is small and this is a pretty basic setup. Here is what we have in the mix:

Cable: Att Uverse
Marantz SR5008 receiver
Zone 1:
B&W bookshelf speakers in the room with the TV
A Boston Sub in the room with the TV
(no surround sound)
Zone 2:
Kitchen and Porch (ceiling speakers)

What I need to accomplish is the ability to have the TV on with a game or whatever on mute while being able to play a separate source in both zones. I also need to be able to have the Uverse be the source for both zones- so I can listen to sports while in the kitchen.

The setup with our old TV accomplished this with the following cables:

There were RCA cables running from the uverse box to the "Audio In" plugs on the back of the receiver.

There was an HDMI cable going from the uverse box directly to the tv

There was an HDMI cable going from the HDMI (ARC) plug on the receiver to the TV (I don't understand what this would be doing)

I don't think it matters, but we use Sonos for our music. The Sonos is hooked up with RCA cables And an optical cable.

I installed the new TV and figured it might be a good thing to get the RCA cables out of the mix. I ran HDMI from the cable box to the receiver. Another HDMI from the receiver (ARC) to the TV (ARC). This works if I want to watch TV with audio through the receiver in the TV room only.

However, the Marantz will not play the TV in zone 2. I have read that it will not play an HDMI source in zone 2. Also, when I switch to another source in the TV room, I lose the picture on the TV- making it impossible to have a game on with separate audio source.

Is there a way to accomplish my goals without the RCA cables or should I just go back to routing everything like it was before? Or can you suggest a work around or tell me if I am doing something wrong?

On a separate note, we are not very happy with the Samsung TV. The picture is just ok. There is a lot of glare even in a not bright room. Most annoying, we watch a lot of sports and the motion is terrible. I am thinking about returning it while I still can and going with a Sony X900F. (49" is the largest we can fit) not sure if this would impact my setup.

Thanks in advance for helping the inexperienced!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom