Setting up TV, PS3, 360 and receiver

tinno87

Established Member
Reaction score
Confused-yet again!

TV, 360 and PS3 connected to Pioneer VSX-C501 receiver through optical (360 via coax). Just been playing around with the system trying to make sure its outputting Dolby Digital. Is it possible to make the receiver change its sound source-for example, i finish playing the PS3 can I just change the TV to the freeview and it to automatically start outputting the TV sound instead of PS3 without me having to use the remote?

Might be a stupid question but completely lost!!

Any more info let me know, thanks

Confused-yet again!

TV, 360 and PS3 connected to Pioneer VSX-C501 receiver through optical (360 via coax). Just been playing around with the system trying to make sure its outputting Dolby Digital. Is it possible to make the receiver change its sound source-for example, i finish playing the PS3 can I just change the TV to the freeview and it to automatically start outputting the TV sound instead of PS3 without me having to use the remote?

Might be a stupid question but completely lost!!

Any more info let me know, thanks

I mean using the TV remote firstly to change functions but without having to then use the receivers remote to change sources as well!

You have a harmony remote, so I guess you could program a macro to do this? Otherwise I don't think you can, you need to change the amp everytime you choose something different to watch/listen to.

You have a harmony remote, so I guess you could program a macro to do this? Otherwise I don't think you can, you need to change the amp everytime you choose something different to watch/listen to.

Yeh the harmony remote is on its way-looke in the manual and searched t'internet and it seemed it was the only way! Should hopefully have it sorted when the remote arrives.

Thanks

Hi,

If you connect your three devices via a single optical input, you could use an optical switcher that has some "priority" on it. Idea would be that you put the device that you use the most into the lowest priority input. When you turn on the PS3 or 360 they will take "priority" over the tv input and the amp should automatically recognise the DD source. When you turn the device off, it'll revert to the tv input.

I've seen HDMI priority devices and I'm sure you'll be able to find one for an optical input.

Brian

I've seen HDMI priority devices and I'm sure you'll be able to find one for an optical input.

I'm afraid due to the way optical works, you won't find priority or automatic switchers for optical (there's no 'trigger' signal for the switch to know what to switch to). Some people have used optical splitters in reverse, but this relies on you switching off all inputs other than the one your using. However some equipment, leave the optical input 'live' even in standby, which causes problems with this method.

I'm afraid due to the way optical works, you won't find priority or automatic switchers for optical (there's no 'trigger' signal for the switch to know what to switch to).

OK ... sorry about that suggestion.

I thought I'd seen one somewhere but it was a long time ago (and probably in a galaxy far, far away) ... do you know if you can you get coax priority devices ?

Brian

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom