1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up Tivo help please

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Ian J, Dec 21, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Apart from being much larger than I imagined I haven't managed to set it up properly yet.

I have one RGB input on my TV so in order to maintain RGB I have cabled Digibox - Tivo - DVD player - TV but it is definately not RGB that I am seeing. One of the problems is that the sockets on the Tivo are too close together to use fat scart leads and so I will try and buy some slimmer ones to see if I have made a bad connection. I set it to record "Have I got News for You" last night and it recorded half an hour of the cricket instead. I am sure that I will get there in the end but England seem to have changed from their traditional blue tops to green. Funny, but when I watched the game earlier, they were still wearing blue.

My other problem is the magic eye thingy. For a start there are two magic eyes and the manual only shows one. I am also not quite clear where to put this. Should it be covering the Digibox's magic eye or should it be along side it.

Thanks for any help and advice.

2. thfccambs

thfccambs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
  3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

Assuming you have selected RGB in setting up, is this a loose scart lead maybe, try it again with normal thinner scarts.

I have found in practice that both dongles sitting end to end below my digibox IR sensor works best for me. I ran the wire from behind my Tivo, with the dongles placed in front of the digibox, with wire hidden trailing from behind it looks neat and tidy.
    I selected front blaster off in settings too, so the only blaster is my dongle.
    It could be worth trying further codes too, maybe the initial code tried is only partially correct ?

Tivo forums are very helpful as said already, but fire away if I can help, I have had two Tivos since they came out :) .

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I seem to have sorted some of the problems by using cheaper and thinner scart leads. I also probably hadn't found the best control codes.

My current problem is that I don't know how to record anything. I read the instructions on the screen where it tells you "When you have found the correct day to press the right arrow". All this does is to move the day back. Up and right move the days back and down and left move them forward. I can't find any way to move from the date to the next stage.

Am I being really stupid - don't answer that please :D

5. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ian, once on the right date click right to highlight chanel-up down to get to one you want then click right to bring up whats on that chanel (you can scroll for times) click select on any highlighted programme to record it.

another way is while watching live tv press live tv again and you can access all chanel information from there-then click select or record button on any programme you wish to record or just browse.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That doesn't seem to work as when I click right it changes the date again instead of highlighting the channels. I suppose that I can get around that by using a different method of selecting a program to record though.

Maybe the software update will cure whatever is wrong :(

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    After upgrading to v2.55.
    To perform a manual recording.
    From Tivo Central
    1. Select Pick Programmes To Record
    2. Press Right Arrow
    3. Record By Time Or Channel
    4. Press Right Arrow
    5. Manually Record Time Or Channel
    6. Choose One Time
    7. Select Day / Date
    8. Select Channel
    9. Start Time
    10. End Time
    11. Record This Showing
    12. This Manual Recording Has Been Added To The To Do List
    13. Press Select To Continue

Obviously whilst on free trial of Tivo Service you may use easier ways of setting Tivo to record a programme but as you are fiscally efficient, I'm guessing you are investigating non-subscription manual recording, the above method is what you should see.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    What a charming way of saying that I am tight fisted :D

It is currently running software 1.5 but when I spoke to the help desk today they said that the uptodate version should be downloaded in the next couple of days.

Being fiscally inefficient I have subscribed today even though it is not working properly.

What is more annoying as I am away for the next few days is that I haven't found anything worth recording.

Thanks for your help which has been appreciated.

9. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Ian set up my parents Tivo last week, if you go into the telephone options screen you can force a call which should then upgrade the software straight away

10. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If needing to force a call.
    From Tivo Central
    1. Select New Tivo Messages & Set Up
    2. Press Right Arrow
    3. Select Recorder & Phone Set Up
    4. Press Right Arrow
    5. Select Phone Connection
    6. Press Right Arrow
    7. Select Make Daily Call Now
    8. Press Right Arrow

Tivo will update software and guide data, simply follow on screen instructions.