1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting Up the Velo CHT 10

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by powder40, Jan 19, 2003.

1. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my new Velo CHT 10 from Uncle Eric now comes the hard bit setting it up. Would like advice on volume, crossover points, phase adjustment and processor settings (Yam E800). Only the second night to listen to it and it sounds to overpowering at the moment. I must work out the right settings. I would be very grateful for any help.

2. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try this first:
    1.Connect with low level
    2. Set all speakers to small on the yammy
    3. Set the crossover on the sub to out if it has that possibility, my HGS18 has. If not set crosswer to max.
    4. Set the volume on something like "9 o'clock", then play some music with lots of bass taht you know well. The adjust volume up or down to to when you just can hear the sub, then turn it a litle down.
    5. Try to switch the phase when you play music and use whatever sounds best to you.

3. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Power40

How big is this thing size wise, need to fit it behind my sette only place it can go so bit pushed for space. ;)

4. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    steve k
    Have a look here.

5. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my tape out Velo CHT 10 is 15 inches wide by 18 inches deep.

6. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Cabinet

(H/W/D): 16.25" x 15" x 19.75"

I'm in the process of setting up/running in a CHT-15 with some Gallos sats.

So far i've used Prodigy's Charlie to do the rough setting, and have run a couple of DVDs (LOTR/ATOC) to adjust the bass and cross-overs.

Anyway, i'm at around 90Hz for the speaker crossovers, have the amps LFE cut at 100Hz and the subs lowpass at 120Hz. Gain is just over 1, and SPL wise the sub is running around 3dB above the rest of the speakers, though could probably run a little lower. The sub at the minute is tucked in a corner... i'll have to mess round with this as i've a slight hole around 80-90Hz and a peak around 30-40Hz which i'd like to lose. But i'll wait until its run-in before i do too much tweaking.

spence

7. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    tyefi
    You should'nt use both crossovers. Try to set the sub x-over to out (on my HGS18, can be another name on the CHT15), this will bypass the internal crossover on the sub. This might cure that dip at 80-90hz.

8. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like you will have to increase the xover frequency on the amp for the speakers, would think increasing it to 100Hz should sort out the hole you have around 80-90Hz. The peaks around 30-40Hz could be down to placement.

Using both xovers is ok as long as the frequencies are staggered.

9. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How long do you reckon for the Velo to be run in, and at the moment can't run the velo at a higher crossover point than 50 Hz and the volume more than 1 If I do it sounds boomy especially with films.

10. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I'll typically go for something like a week of being run, 8am to 5pm on moderate volume, around 20dB under reference. This together with listening during the evening generally gets speakers as stable as my ears are able to detect.
    Re using both crossovers, it's where i typically start... using the subs low pass at 120Hz for steeper crossover than just using the amp at 100Hz...needless to say i'll be playing with various options.

Bob regarding the hole...i've tried quite a few combinations but the hole seems to persist. I'll live with it till next weekend, when, hopefully, my back's recovered enough for another lifting and shifting exercise.

spence