1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up the Pioneer 814 receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Desi, May 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Desi

Desi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Everyone,

Firstly, let me just start by saying a BIG Thank You to all members of this forum as it has been a great help to me (and I am a complete novice in this whole world) in deciding and purchasing my first ever AV setup :clap: - A great site with some great info :thumbsup:

After all the trials and tribulations....The ups and downs....The :confused: moments....Here is what I ended up getting:-

- Pioneer 814 receiver
    - Pioneer 575 dvd player
    - Mission M31i (fronts)
    - Mission M3C2 (centre)
    - Gale 3060 bipolars...soon to be changed :D
    - MS 309 (sub)

I have had it all for about a month now and am very happy with how it all sounds.
    However, I do feel that there is a more potential that I could get out of it if my receiver was tweaked a little more (if that makes sense).
    I used the auto setup (the mic and all) facility on the receiver to setup all the speakers. Initially, I had set the speakers on the receiver all as 'small' and the sub to 'yes' (the crossover is also set to 100hz). After the setup, the front speakers get changed to 'large'!
    Does that sound normal?
    Also, another thing I have noticed on the receiver is that the the sub has 3 settings - Your normal 'yes' and 'no' but also 'plus'. After changing to 'plus', there is definately more of a punch coming out of the MS309 - I assume this is normal?!
    Does this setting affect the LF coming out of the fronts and centre (don't wanna do them any damage)?
    Do other 814 owners also use the auto setup and leave it be, or would it be better to purchase an spl meter and try doing it myself?

I know this is quite a lengthy thread but I just wanted some advice from any pio 814 owners aswell as anyone else as to what I have done is correct and if there is any advice to get the best out of the stuff that I have.

Apologies in advance if there are some right noob questions above :suicide:

Cheers,
    Desi

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    To answer your questions in order:

1) The amp will see if your speakers can produce frequencies below what you have set your cross over as - if they can it will set the speakers to Large, if it cant then they will be Small. You can then go back and change them if you want, and so what you say is normal

2) Dont know enough about your amp to know the answer

3) I would guess as it is a 'sub' setting it will not effect the fronts/centre but someone who has the amp may be able to say for definate

4) The auto setups on all AVRs give a good starting place but I have yet to find any which cant be improved on by an SPL

Apologies accepted :)

3. Desi

Desi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Astaroth :thumbsup:

As I said, I am a complete novice when it comes to the av world but I must admit, I am hooked now :D

Anyone else with any hints or pointers?

Cheers,
    Desi