Setting up the MJA Acoustics Pro 50

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Huggy, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Huggy

Huggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    After demoing all weekend, I finally did it and bought one :D :D :D

Along with a couple of KEF Eggs to replace the Mission Fronts, but that's another story.

So 2 questions. One reasonably sensible, the other incredibly thick.

Sensible question. The MJA website quite strongly advises using both High and Low Level Gain inputs at the same time. I gather the High Level lead is a Neutrik Speakon, which is a fairly expensive optional extra. Does anybody follow this advice? is it worth it? I understand the High Level Gain is mainly to improve the system's musicality, does it help with movies as well?

Thoroughly stupid and ignorant question - the supplied phono cable has two leads. Yet there is only one output from the Amp, which makes sense as subs are mono aren't they. Does it matter which lead I use (the black one or the red one). :blush: :blush: :blush: Yes I know, I know....

2. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't need the high level connected, just a low level phono and yes use either red or blue.

Here are my Pro 50 settings;

Front : SMALL
    Center : NONE
    Rear : SMALL
    Sub : LFE + MAINS
    Crossover : 80Hz (set on amp, sub x-over set to max to activate bypass)
    SPL : Calibrated aprox 72dB

Also if you have a Denon amp use stereo mode and not direct.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Huggy,

The high level connection adds nothing to movies at all.

Don't follow Dom's settings as his equipment is completely different to yours. For a start you must set the crossover higher than 80Hz if you are running Kef eggs at the front.

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dom, how can you set the sub to LFE + Mains when you have selected small for the fronts, I have the 3801 and that menu doesn't come up unless you select large for the fronts, is the 3802 different?

5. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I copied these settings from a previous post so I may be wrong but if mains are set to small the sub will receive LFE + Mains rerouted bass.

You might be thinking of the setting that appears when you set mains to large, not sure.

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The way you listed them I thought they were all your speakers settings. :)

7. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Huggy,
    I'd recommend that you bought a decent cable instead of the one supplied. I switched from the supplied one with my pro-50 to a profi-gold sub specific cable and it made a big difference to the sound quality and eliminated the buzzing.

8. Huggy

Huggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    New cable is a good idea. Understand that High Gain is no good for movies. Does it provide a big improvement for music that makes buying the cable worth it?

9. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Huggy - the high-level cable is £30 from MJA or a dealer. You could try what I did - get a Neutrik Speakon plug, from CPC say (£3), buy some cable and wire up your own - mine came to about £8 doing it this way with 5m of OFC loudspeaker cable. For full details of how to do this see a previous post I made about exactly this subject - luckily Dan knows about this and came to my rescue and told me what to wire to what!

I use both the low-level cable supplied (no buzz from mine) which works fine and also my home-made high-level cable - but not at the same time. Low level is connected for movies and anything through the AV amp. For vinyl playback, I route the high-level output from my valve amp to the sub bypassing the AV processor. Unless you have a similar setup, you are probably best sticking with the low-level connection from your AV amp. Reason I say that even for non 5.1 encoded stuff, I believe that most AV amps have better filtering of the signal than that built-in to the sub. If I'm wrong on this count, the experts on this forum will be swift to correct me, I'm sure!

I did try some better low-level OFC cables, but to be honest didn't notice much difference. Presumably since the skin-effect for cables only kicks-in at high frequencies, the differences are less noticeable for LFE, but I'm sure someone will correct me there also ;)

Good luck with it - it's a great sub for the price and I'm very happy with mine - can't believe I managed without one for so long!