1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up the MJA Acoustics Pro 50

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Huggy, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Huggy

Huggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    After demoing all weekend, I finally did it and bought one :D :D :D

Along with a couple of KEF Eggs to replace the Mission Fronts, but that's another story.

So 2 questions. One reasonably sensible, the other incredibly thick.

Sensible question. The MJA website quite strongly advises using both High and Low Level Gain inputs at the same time. I gather the High Level lead is a Neutrik Speakon, which is a fairly expensive optional extra. Does anybody follow this advice? is it worth it? I understand the High Level Gain is mainly to improve the system's musicality, does it help with movies as well?

Thoroughly stupid and ignorant question - the supplied phono cable has two leads. Yet there is only one output from the Amp, which makes sense as subs are mono aren't they. Does it matter which lead I use (the black one or the red one). :blush: :blush: :blush: Yes I know, I know....

2. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't need the high level connected, just a low level phono and yes use either red or blue.

Here are my Pro 50 settings;

Front : SMALL
    Center : NONE
    Rear : SMALL
    Sub : LFE + MAINS
    Crossover : 80Hz (set on amp, sub x-over set to max to activate bypass)
    SPL : Calibrated aprox 72dB

Also if you have a Denon amp use stereo mode and not direct.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Huggy,

The high level connection adds nothing to movies at all.

Don't follow Dom's settings as his equipment is completely different to yours. For a start you must set the crossover higher than 80Hz if you are running Kef eggs at the front.

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dom, how can you set the sub to LFE + Mains when you have selected small for the fronts, I have the 3801 and that menu doesn't come up unless you select large for the fronts, is the 3802 different?

5. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I copied these settings from a previous post so I may be wrong but if mains are set to small the sub will receive LFE + Mains rerouted bass.

You might be thinking of the setting that appears when you set mains to large, not sure.

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The way you listed them I thought they were all your speakers settings. :)

7. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Huggy,
    I'd recommend that you bought a decent cable instead of the one supplied. I switched from the supplied one with my pro-50 to a profi-gold sub specific cable and it made a big difference to the sound quality and eliminated the buzzing.

8. Huggy

Huggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    New cable is a good idea. Understand that High Gain is no good for movies. Does it provide a big improvement for music that makes buying the cable worth it?

9. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Huggy - the high-level cable is £30 from MJA or a dealer. You could try what I did - get a Neutrik Speakon plug, from CPC say (£3), buy some cable and wire up your own - mine came to about £8 doing it this way with 5m of OFC loudspeaker cable. For full details of how to do this see a previous post I made about exactly this subject - luckily Dan knows about this and came to my rescue and told me what to wire to what!

I use both the low-level cable supplied (no buzz from mine) which works fine and also my home-made high-level cable - but not at the same time. Low level is connected for movies and anything through the AV amp. For vinyl playback, I route the high-level output from my valve amp to the sub bypassing the AV processor. Unless you have a similar setup, you are probably best sticking with the low-level connection from your AV amp. Reason I say that even for non 5.1 encoded stuff, I believe that most AV amps have better filtering of the signal than that built-in to the sub. If I'm wrong on this count, the experts on this forum will be swift to correct me, I'm sure!

I did try some better low-level OFC cables, but to be honest didn't notice much difference. Presumably since the skin-effect for cables only kicks-in at high frequencies, the differences are less noticeable for LFE, but I'm sure someone will correct me there also ;)

Good luck with it - it's a great sub for the price and I'm very happy with mine - can't believe I managed without one for so long!