Setting up the HD82 for the first time

pk222

Got the HD82 delivered from superfi and apart from bundling the European plug instead of the UK one it looks good.

Could any HD82 owners help with a few questions - was going through the manual to ensure I set it up right before having a movie watching session at the weekend :) and could not find info on the items below

- where can I find the Dynamic Iris setting and should I turn it off or low/high?

- presume all the "pure" enhance settings should be turned off?

- how do I ensure it is running in eco mode to maximise the bulb life (could not find it in the menu - there is a brightness on/off setting)

am sure will have more on the calibration but am reading through the other threads (is going to take a while) but if anyone can give pointers on getting the skin tones right that would be helpful.

Timh

Distinguished Member
Here's a basic guide on TV calibration to get you started.

pk222

@tim - thanks saw that found that useful, there is quite a lot of information on calibration, am going to do the basic calibration I think and then take it from there (the room is not a batcave so might be law of diminishing returns after a point)

Some of the questions were more on the HD82 menus themselves which I am hoping one of the HD82 owners might be able to answer (could not find a HD82 owners thread anywhere)

Timh

Distinguished Member
You could try over at avsforum in the states, think its called the 8200 there.
There is also a thread on calibration with a download to burn to disc.

Raine

Atm I'm still in OTB colour settings. Will probably mess around a few settings whenever I get round to it, but to my untrained eyes it looks perfect right now! :D

DI is on Cinema 1. And AI and puremotion stuff off.

Here's a link to some calibration settings. Have a look and tell me how you got on. :smashin:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/optoma/hd8200/calibration.php

Btw, What do you think of it so far?

dukesters

Novice Member
Id be interested to hear what you both and any other owners of the HD82 think about them as Iam considering one myself.:smashin:

Have narrowed it down to this and the infocus 8604 @ £1900 but cant be sure its worth the extra £600. The HD87 seems to be the only other mid range DLP if there can be a deal to be had like the half dozen that went for £1600 a month or so ago.

pk222

I am really impressed with this and projecting on a wall. Was a doddle to set up, Colours are really good, have left it on default settings except I changed one setting in cinema when playing around and can't remember which one now :(

Am seeing a pinkish skin tone in certain shots but not sure whether it is because of the accidental change I made or the Harry potter 1 bluray - will have to compare the standard cinema mode settings if i can find it and see if I can revert the change. Also will have a go at basic calibration hopefully tomorrow or Sunday so watch this space.

I was debating between the hd82 and samsung ps59d6900 and went for this as we loved the demo and the difference in image size is amazing. No complaints so far and superficial were very quick with delivery as well.

This is supposed to be amazing for 2d at the price range - if you can live with that and don't suffer from rainbow effect then not much touches it (Mitsubishi is supposed to be close though hc4000 but could not demo it). Would suggest a demo if at all possible or a ask a friendly member where you live.

Am going to watch a few more movies over the next few days and report back.

@raine could you post the default settings for cinema1 please? Is Di set in the dynamic black menu option?

Last edited:

Raine

Yeah, I just set DynamicBlack to Cinema 1, made sure Bright Mode, pure motion and AI was off. That all the things I've done and checked. And all is rosy so far. I have the Disney WOW disc, so I will go through a bit of that when I have the time. Gotta check the brightness and contrast levels to make sure it's at optimum image quality.

As in what I think of the pj so far.

+ Great, clean, sharp and almost 3d like picture.
+ Bulbs are relatively inexpensive.
+ A little bit of lens shift ability. Altho nothing major in shift, but still helped me a bit.

- Not bad but could be quieter (altho probably considered quiet-ish in pj terms)
- Blacks are not as black as my Kuro (but probably are pretty good in regards to pjs and not much pjs have Kuro type blacks)
- Placing in a high shelf is tricky. Meaning if up high, the pj has to be upside down
- You can spot the iris doing it's thing every now and again

All in all, I really like it and smug about it's picture quality, no regrets. Great clean picture with great depth due to it's high contrast. This pj is considered extremely sharp with great 3d depth even when put up against the big guns. What it does fall behind the more expensive guys like the JVCs is the black levels, but to some of them only slightly. Watching a film like Avatar, really shows off what this pj is capable of and WOW! :smashin:When I get the time to calibrate it a bit, it can only get even better. :D

Last edited:

pk222

@raine thanks will try that, do you have the other advanced settings just to check please. (can't find a reset option must be somewhere)

dukesters

Novice Member
Thanks for the info guys sounds very positive.:smashin:

It really does seem to be a bargain at the price given it comes with a three year warranty. I have a low ceiling as its a loft with a 120" screen so I would have prefered a bit more lens shift and for it to be on a shelf as Ive never had much luck with brackets but I could put up with it for the price.:)

pk222

@raine did yours come with a uk or a euro plug. Mine has a euro one for some reason.

Raine

pk222, I'm not around my pj. But if you find yourself stuck with odd settings somewhere, you're probably better off with a reset. Reset setting shown below. :smashin: Mine came with a uk plug.

setupmenu1.jpg

pk222

Cool thanks a lot - going to have a look tonight and call them Monday to send me the proper power cable. They sent me a uk plug implying to cut the wires and then wire up the plug - not impressed.

Should there we a warranty registration card inside which you send off or just the receipt acts as the proof for warranty?

hektic

Novice Member
dukesters:

I've just upgraded my HD72 to the HD82 via the superfi route...

The picture difference is stunning (so it should be as it was a £3000 @ launch) :)
The comments you here about it being 3D like are true, its awesome.

Two things I like about the HD82 over the HD87, the fan is much quiter (although not silent) and it has DVI

Cheers

dukesters

Novice Member
dukesters:

I've just upgraded my HD72 to the HD82 via the superfi route...

The picture difference is stunning (so it should be as it was a £3000 @ launch) :)
The comments you here about it being 3D like are true, its awesome.

Two things I like about the HD82 over the HD87, the fan is much quiter (although not silent) and it has DVI

Cheers
Cheers mate thats exactly what I wanted to hear:smashin:

TBH I want something before xmas so I can enjoy it over the holidays and at the price I think I'll be pulling the trigger early next week.

Iam still waiting to hear back from someone with an infocus sp8604 but Ive read these projectors are very similar although Iam not sure quite how as the 8604 should be on a par with the hd87 with higher lumens and contrast ratio.

Ive read the HD82 has a 5 % offset so I'll need to check my height as my current projector lens is just about in line with the top of my screen.

Raine

Odd in the Art review he said to put brightness down to 40, but it's very dark and I get severe black crushing on that level. Tried the WOW blu ray and it was smth like 49-50. Could it be that the newer model/firmware C09 has changed everything a bit? What's yer settings? Thx!

Last edited:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Bear in mind his room is probably a batcave where as yours is probably not therefore you will need more brightness than for his room conditions.

Raine

Just a tip for new owners of this pj, if you notice the iris pumping a bit. Go to the service menu and lower the 1/4 step of the iris. It helps quite a bit.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom