1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up Sub advice

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by littlecharva, Jun 23, 2004.

1. littlecharva

littlecharva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I recieved my new MS309 sub yesterday and I'm loving it. I'm new to this whole hifi game and there seems to be so many different settings to play around with on the amp and the sub combined that I'm not sure how to get the best from my setup. I realise that different people have different tastes and that ultimately I'm going to have to rely on my own ears to get the best setup, but I'm interested to see how other people have their systems setup so I have some starting points to try.

I have a Sony STRDB1070 amp, a Sony (can't remember model) DVD/SACD player, a pair of Wharfedale 8.2s for my front speakers, 8.1s for my rear and an 8 centre.

I'm mainly using my system for music, but I'm starting to get into DVD a bit more since I got it.

There's the option to set speakers to small or large, there's a sub crossover setting on the amp, there's the volume and frequency knobs on the amp, the notch thingy too (which I'm too confused to even bother trying), and a few more things I can't remember right now.

Any kind of advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Littlecharva.

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,147
    This is where the fun begins :). Whether you use the subs crossover depends on whether the Sony has an adjustable one on board. If it does, then I would max the 309 crossover and use the amp one. Whether you set your speakers to small or large is a matter of personal preferance and would probably boil down to your film/music mix.

3. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    If you use the search facility on these forums you will find plenty of general and often contradictory advice. It will keep you busy for a while and even then you will probably continue tinkering to get that ultimate result. So many things to think about and adjust and so much will depend on the response from your room. Subs are great!