1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up speakers using a digital meter?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by (GTV)Chris, Aug 10, 2003.

1. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, just bought a digital meter to set my 5.1 system up properly.
    When using the meter is it best to sit in the position you will be in whilst watching a movie or do you need to be in the middle of the room?
    My problem is that our sofa is right up against the back wall and my gorgeous ne B&W VM1's will have to, i suppose, have to point directly at our heads making setting up the volume quite tricky - I will have to reduce the level quite a bit.

Cheers

Chris

2. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sit in the position that you will be watching them in the most, i also have the Vm1s with my sofa right against the wall and the rear centre right behind me, although i havent yet set them up with a meter i have the level of the rear centre way down so it isn't to obtrusive. There are quite a few threads on this subject if you search.My workplace has one and i'm hoping to lend it,cheaper than buying hehe.

3. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nice one - are you happy with the rears?
    I was going to borrow one from the bloke at work but the bugger never brought it in and I figured that if it ever went a little off colour, I could re set it all back up with my own meter.
    Only a cheapie from Maplin's.

C

4. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes very happy, so's the wife i got the pearl for the walls as it much easier to fit in with the decor, silver at the front though. The good thing about them imo is that the grilles are solid si if, like me you have a couple of kids running about thay can't EASILY damage them.The only thing i hopefully need now is a better sub, mines a Jamo and i was thinking of upgrading when i get some loot. What sub are you using and amp? I was thinking of trying either a MJ PRO 50 ,QUAKE or Velodyne CH10 but not many options for trying in Cumbria.

5. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You can always try Putting the Centre rear Behind the sofa pointing up, it will mean pulling the sofa out slightly, just an idea.

When you take the reading off the meter make sure you have the mic pointing upwards and not towards the speakers.

6. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am after the Quake as well - got a Yamaha sub £200 sub :) at the mo. It serves me well and the amp is the Yamaha DSP A5 which is excellent for movies but not so much for music.

Cheers

C

7. binky

binky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm using VM1s with a Quake - sounds great to me...