1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up Sky - 4:3 with bars on widescreen TV.....

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Stevie G, May 16, 2002.

1. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi guys.

I'm intending getting a widescreen telly in the next few weeks, but there's something I'm not too sure about with setting Sky up.

Although my new telly will be WS, I'm also going to get a video sender to send Sky to the other two tellys in the house, which are both normal 4:3 TV's. At the moment, when I set Sky to 16:9, it gives a squashed picture (tall and thin), which is understandable as I'm telling it to stretch it over the widescreen. However, it also obviously shows squashed on the other two tv's (they're also connected by RF aerial via a booster/splitter).

This is my question;
    If I use the setting on Sky for 4:3 TV but in letter-box mode, will this have the same effect on a WS TV as the 16:9 mode?

I'm just thinking it's going to be a real pain to keep having to change the settings on either Sky or the relevant TV each time I watch a new channel (I've checked and neither TV's allow different signal settings for differant channels).

Thanks.

2. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you did this you would be able to zoom in on the pic with the widescreen tv . the mane diference would be resolution . all the extra info that you get from anamophic would be lost .

i have the same problem . i have a widescreen in the cinema and 4:3 tvs in the bedrooms and kitchen . the way i look at it is , the cinema takes priority over the other tvs . i have my box firmly set 16:9 . i would rather have the image squashed on the other tvs than lose the extra resolution .

you have to remember aswell that not much is braudcast in widescreen yet anyway . the things that are tend to be on bbc and itv , chan 4. so why don't you just use the other tvs tuners to watch these channels and have the sky box set correctly for your new tv

3. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    OK, thanks for the help. Suppose it'll be a case of playing around with it when I get it......