reeceado

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

Wondering if anyone could help me

a family friend has asked me to set up some TVs at their house.

they have the aerial going into a very old sky box ( I believe its apace sky digibox 2300) which then goes out via RF to a Tvlink f140 4 distribution amp, this is then split to different aerial sockets around the house.

basically they want to get rid of the sky box as they have been told it is just amplifying the signal as they no longer have sky.
What can I use as an upgrade/replacement for the sky box to amplify the signal?

images attached

Attachments

• PHOTO-2022-02-16-09-42-31 2.jpg
    PHOTO-2022-02-16-09-42-31 2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 79
  • PHOTO-2022-02-16-09-42-31 3.jpg
    PHOTO-2022-02-16-09-42-31 3.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 101
  • PHOTO-2022-02-16-09-42-31.jpg
    PHOTO-2022-02-16-09-42-31.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 75
  • PHOTO-2022-02-16-09-42-32.jpg
    PHOTO-2022-02-16-09-42-32.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 72
Presumably it's a dish connected to the Sky box rather than an aerial - do they have an aerial for Freeview or are they wanting to utilise the dish for Freesat ?

Last edited:
The purpose of the sky box is to add the sky signal not amplify. Just plug the input and output leads together and enjoy lower electricity bills as sky boxes use a lot.

Presumably it's a dish connected to the Sky box rather than an aerial - do they have an aerial for Freeview or are they wanting to utilise the dish for Freesat ?
The purpose of the sky box is to add the sky signal not amplify. Just plug the input and output leads together and enjoy lower electricity bills as sky boxes use a lot.
Hi
Thanks for getting back to me.

They have said that the signal comes through a sky dish and goes through a Humax box?

Does this help?

Hi
Thanks for getting back to me.

They have said that the signal comes through a sky dish and goes through a Humax box?

Does this help?
So where is this Humax box in the system. Is it a terrestrial or satellite box?

So where is this Humax box in the system. Is it a terrestrial or satellite box?
Hi
so I believe this is how it flows

signal comes in from dish - goes through sky digibox 2300, this is then output via RF to the Tvlink F140.
The f140 then connects to other rooms and the Humax in the living room ( I think it's Humax PVR9300T)

cheers

Hi
so I believe this is how it flows

signal comes in from dish - goes through sky digibox 2300, this is then output via RF to the Tvlink F140.
The f140 then connects to other rooms and the Humax in the living room ( I think it's Humax PVR9300T)
Something isn't quite right, because that is a Freeview PVR and the dish/sky box will be distributing a satellite signal. If that Humax model number is correct, then they presumably have a terrestrial aerial on the roof or in the loft, connected to a socket in the lounge for Freeview via the Humax on the lounge TV ?

If they don't currently have Sky, are they just using the old Sky box to watch the free channels, if that's still possible these days ? Presumably the same channel in each room, judging by your description.

Something isn't quite right, because that is a Freeview PVR and the dish/sky box will be distributing a satellite signal. If that Humax model number is correct, then they presumably have a terrestrial aerial on the roof or in the loft, connected to a socket in the lounge for Freeview via the Humax on the lounge TV ?

If they don't currently have Sky, are they just using the old Sky box to watch the free channels, if that's still possible these days ? Presumably the same channel in each room, judging by your description.
I think that is the case as they have the red dot sensors for the other TV

If and it is IF they are taking a signal from a dish for free to air channels they cannot get rid of the sky box unless they replace it with another satellite box. But modern satellite boxes don't have analogue modulated RF out, not to mention TV link capacity, so they would lose the satellite signal in other rooms.

If and it is IF they are taking a signal from a dish for free to air channels they cannot get rid of the sky box unless they replace it with another satellite box. But modern satellite boxes don't have analogue modulated RF out, not to mention TV link capacity, so they would lose the satellite signal in other rooms.
Do you know what the best option would be if this was the case?
Thanks for your help

If they have a terrestrial aerial that gives them a decent Freeview signal (if the Humax box is a Freeview PVR and picks up all the channels they would want, reliably) and they have TV's equipped with Freeview tuners in the relevant rooms, then it looks like you should be able to use that F140 amp to distribute a Freeview signal around the house - it would just need connecting to the aerial and a new power supply, in order to be used without the Sky box.

One obvious benefit of this is that they could watch TVs independently in each room and get away from that antiquated magic eye system.

The $ky box has a cable going into it's AERIAL INput socket. Also a cable going out of it's RF2 OUT socket and off to the F140 'loft box'.

So it will likely be distributing that aerial (input) signal (UHF TV aka Freeview) around the home; together with the analogue modulated output of the $ky box when on (and not in standby).

Humax 9300T is a recorder, and SD digital only at that, and would be as useful as a chocolate teapot without a signal from an aerial. (But is also probably overdue for an update/upgrade.)

BUT the OP needs to ideally get the users of this system to post on here about what TVs they have / how they use it and how they want to progress and update/upgrade. Or if they are perfectly happy as things are.

But if there is no need/desire for the $ky box then it's already been stated how to remove it. Either a power supply for the F140 or a different distribution amplifier (remote powered if no mains is available where the F140 box is located). The magic eyes would then be redundant and could also be removed from the cables in those rooms.

The $ky box has a cable going into it's AERIAL INput socket. Also a cable going out of it's RF2 OUT socket and off to the F140 'loft box'.

So it will likely be distributing that aerial (input) signal (UHF TV aka Freeview) around the home; together with the analogue modulated output of the $ky box when on (and not in standby).

Humax 9300T is a recorder, and SD digital only at that, and would be as useful as a chocolate teapot without a signal from an aerial. (But is also probably overdue for an update/upgrade.)

BUT the OP needs to ideally get the users of this system to post on here about what TVs they have / how they use it and how they want to progress and update/upgrade. Or if they are perfectly happy as things are.

But if there is no need/desire for the $ky box then it's already been stated how to remove it. Either a power supply for the F140 or a different distribution amplifier (remote powered if no mains is available where the F140 box is located). The magic eyes would then be redundant and could also be removed from the cables in those rooms.
Thanks for all your help.
They have confirmed that it is a standard aerial not a sky dish

Sorry for any confusion ! My advice was based on only a dish being mentioned - I didn't realise it was also possible to pass a UHF (Freeview) signal through a Sky box for distribution in that way.

If they want to remove the Sky box, then Rodders' last comment above covers the options :)

they have 3 relatively new TVs one in the living room, one in the bedroom and then one in a different room. They are happy as it is with the system, they just want to remove the sky box.
So im guessing we just need to get a power supply for the f140 box then?
there is power supply there as the skybox is in the same cupboard as the F140 (its a flat)
cheers

It is becoming clearer. Remove the sky box and connect the input and output leads together. Next, do they really need the distribution amp or could they get away with a 3 way passive splitter. I often find amps fitted because that is what people do even when there is sufficient signal for a passive splitter.

It is becoming clearer. Remove the sky box and connect the input and output leads together. Next, do they really need the distribution amp or could they get away with a 3 way passive splitter. I often find amps fitted because that is what people do even when there is sufficient signal for a passive splitter.
Can you recommend any kit for this?
I’m tech savvy but not too sure on Ariels haha
Just trying to help them

The idea is to get rid the F140 if it is not required. So aerial to the input. Then 3 RF cables to the 3 TVs around the house. The feed to and from the sky box being redundant.

FLAT suggests a communal (shared) aerial system? If so then the signal level is often high so Winston's splitter has a good chance of working. NB The existing amp has +7dB gain (plus the $ky box amplifies a few dB, too). Passive splitting will give -7 to -9 dB loss. (Overall at least a 14dB difference; probably more.).
So it might work, or not work.

A 9dB gain distribution amplifier such as this PROception Aerial Amplifier Distribution 4 Way is likely to be nearly as cheap as sorting out a suitable power supply and coaxial cable injector for the F140 box to work as an amplifier if passive splitting is a fail.

FLAT suggests a communal (shared) aerial system? If so then the signal level is often high so Winston's splitter has a good chance of working. NB The existing amp has +7dB gain (plus the $ky box amplifies a few dB, too). Passive splitting will give -7 to -9 dB loss. (Overall at least a 14dB difference; probably more.).
So it might work, or not work.

A 9dB gain distribution amplifier such as this PROception Aerial Amplifier Distribution 4 Way is likely to be nearly as cheap as sorting out a suitable power supply and coaxial cable injector for the F140 box to work as an amplifier if passive splitting is a fail.
It's a flat above a restaurant so not like a big block of flats.

So that Proception Amp would replace the F140 and the sky box?

Aerial comes in - plugs into the UHF port - Output leads (which are coming out of the F140 now) into the output ports - the output cables to the different sockets around the flat?

Sorry if I sound thick haha

So that Proception Amp would replace the F140 and the sky box?

Aerial comes in - plugs into the UHF port - Output leads (which are coming out of the F140 now) into the output ports - the output cables to the different sockets around the flat?
Yes, it potentially is that simple. Aerial to UHF TV input on a new (powered) distribution amp or passive (unpowered) splitter via coax and the current room outlet coax cables then attach to the amp or splitter's numbered outlets.

That means you can get rid of the F140, Sky box and magic eyes, although it would be sensible to leave them in place if possible until you can confirm that any new equipment is working satisfactorily.

If you decide to go for a new distribution amp or splitter, then the easiest option would be to get one with screw (F-type) terminals because these make for a better, more secure connection and it looks like the existing cables all have F-type plugs on them, meaning you wouldn't need to make up any new plugs or use adaptors.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom