Setting up satellite receiver

N

nickbrace

Hey,

I am just about to buy a DVD recorder and wanted to get my head around the connections.

I will only have 2 boxes under my main tv - satellite receiver and dvd recorder with built in freeview. I want my recorder to record both Freeview and the external source/satellite receiver. I will have the 2 boxes looped up and the RF out on one of the boxes will go straight upstairs (neither box has 2 RF Outs and I lose all quality when trying to split it).

What I want going to do was to plug the satellite receiver into back of DVD Recorder then recorder into tv scart.........BUT wont that stop me from watching 2 different things at once in 2 different rooms, ie - if the satellite receiver went into AV2 on the TV then obviously I could watch this downtairs and Freeview upstairs.

What the best way to go??

nickbrace said:
Hey,

I am just about to buy a DVD recorder and wanted to get my head around the connections.

I will only have 2 boxes under my main tv - satellite receiver and dvd recorder with built in freeview. I want my recorder to record both Freeview and the external source/satellite receiver. I will have the 2 boxes looped up and the RF out on one

Be aware that to view the DVDR output or Satt output via RF upstairs you need an RF modulator and very few DVDRs (excepting Panasonics and a few others) have RF modulators.
I presume your Satt receiver is not Sky digital either so I don't know if it has a modulator.
Best bet is to get a DVDR with an RF modulator...loopthrough the Satt to that and the scart output of DVDR to the TV and RF out from DVDR to upstairs.

JayCee said:
Be aware that to view the DVDR output or Satt output via RF upstairs you need an RF modulator and very few DVDRs (excepting Panasonics and a few others) have RF modulators.
I presume your Satt receiver is not Sky digital either so I don't know if it has a modulator.
Best bet is to get a DVDR with an RF modulator...loopthrough the Satt to that and the scart output of DVDR to the TV.

RF Modulator on the DVDR is cool - I am getting the Panasonic 60 which has RF Mod and also Freeview.

You know what - I dont have a clue if the satellite receiver has an RF Modulator - I presumed they all do as I have never had one that didnt send a signal upstairs..........in case anyone might know, its a Scientific Atlanta 9234/PowerVu.

Your last paragraph - thats what I was going to do but then will I be able to watch Freeview downstairs and satellite upstairs or vice versa?? ie - doesnt there need to be a feed straight into tv from satellite receiver to be able to do that???

Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom