1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up RAID advice

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by frozendexter, Jul 15, 2004.

1. frozendexter

frozendexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Guys, I'm building a new PC and have gotten a ASUS P4800-E Deluxe board to stick in it, my question is would my two Barracuda 160gb SATA drives perform better running though the intel chipset or the promise one on the mobo set up in RAID 0, and would I gain any performance if I put the swap file on a seperate 7200 IDE drive i've got spare? or should I leave it on the main drives?

Cheers in advance! now I just have to wait for my X800XT to show up :D

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    There's an artical on Storage Review that says there is no evidence that Raid 0 gives any performance increase at all.
    Storage Review

3. frozendexter

frozendexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    interesting stuff JohnG! I think i'll not bother with RAID and stick the swap file on my secondary SATA drive.

I think Custom PC should visit storagereview.com and spread the word!

4. philst68i

philst68i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just got a new PC and its got something on it calles 'Sisraid'......what does it do ?????

5. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    it's probably a raid controller made by silicon images. Mine has that built into the motherboard. It allows you to make a RAID from two SATA or SCSI hard disks.

6. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    using 2 SATA rapter drives in a raid array, and the load performance is devastating..

A slow hard drive can effect game performance more than people realize, but not all raid arrays are the same and getting your system fine tuned is a matter of trial and error
    (mostly when choosing the block size you whish to use)
    Get it wrong and it can mess things up a little. Also data integraty can be an issue, and if 1 drive fails then all info is lost.
    I use my raid Array for games only. My operating system and all other none game files are stored on a normal non raid SATA channel.

There has been a noticble improvement in load times and in game video is far smoother.

Obviously the 2 drives need to be of the same make and size, using the built in intel RAID if you have ICH5(i think)
    yeilds best performance gains.
    Use sisoft sandra to see how its performing( and if its worth it in your system).

Other than that it is dead easy to set up if you have a raid controller on the motherboared. if its a SILxxxx model chip chances are it wont be that great, intels solution is far superior(more efficient)

7. Skiddins

Skiddins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having had to use and configure RAID arrays at work, I can say that there is a difference in performance in the 'real world', which is more evident in large file transfers etc.

If you want fault tolerance as well you will need striping with parity, which would require a third drive.
    This means that if a drive fails you can just replace it with a new drive and the data will be 'rebuilt'.

If you have removable drive bays, some controllers will allow you to 'hot-swap' which means you don't even have to turn the machine off if you have a failure :D

Skiddins