Setting up Projector in a Garage Conversion.

twinx05

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently having my Garage converted into a spare room.

The room is 16ft x 9ft, which will have LED lighting into the ceiling.

I really want to make it into a room where my boys can go & play on their Playstation, Wii, watch dvd's & tv.

Also from a selfish point of view i want it for my Football viewing hideaway.

I already have a Projector but it isn't HD, i picked it up for nothing so i am looking into buying a new one, obviously also i will be needing a large screen.

I have rang Richer Sounds & they say i will require an Amp to run my Playstation etc through.

I am a complete novice on what models are value for money.

Obviously, like anybody, i want the job for as cheap as possible.

Would i be able to kit the room out for under £1,000 or less.

Any help or advice on good models will be greatly appreciated.

It's been doing my head in.

I haven't got a prob with buying second hand off e-bay etc if that will cut the cost down.

Many Thanks

Jason.

Did RS also inform you that if you do get an AV receiver that you'll also need to buy a speakers? Your £1K budget is rather low if it is intended to buy the screen, a new PJ, the AV receiver and a 5.1 speaker package.

Can you break your budget down and give a figure you are willing to pay for the AV receiver plus 5.1 speaker package? I'd ideally suggest no less than £500 although it is just about possible to do this for less, but you'll get what you pay for and the setup will be compromised.

they say i will require an Amp to run my Playstation etc through
You don't require an amp for that purpose as there are alternatives.
You might decide that you want one for its main purpose, to provide surround sound on a set of speakers.

If he's using a PJ then yes, he will need something to deal with the audio. I presume this to be what RS were hinting at? PJs don't do audio and are video only.

You should be able to kit it out for around a grand but the pj will swallow up around £500 minimum for a basic optoma. However I had a quick look and nearer £800 seems more likely. A basic av receiver will cost around £200-250 and speakers £250. Unfortunately budget speakers means small speakers and it would be a waste (to me anyway) to fit compact speakers in a dedicated pj setup. However your budget will dictate this. Richer sounds are often good for sourcing budget kit so I would start there. Sony av receivers are often recommended at the budget end with the likes of Tannoy Fx speakers. Give the likes of petertyson or hifix a ring as they might be able to knock up a package inc cables but I would prepare to up the budget. Buying second hand is an option but obviously we don't know what is available in the classifieds or on eBay. That's your job to find out! Always factor in the cost of replacement bulbs for projectors too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies.

I could get a Optima HD6720 Projector & 92inch screen for £549.

Has anybody any idea if that one comes recommended ?

I'll prob just go for a second hand Receiver off Ebay etc etc.....

At least i've made a small hole in the recommended makes etc,

thanks so much for taking time to reply & dont hesitate to forward any more info you can pass on.....

Jason

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom