1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up Processor through AV Amp

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Matt Horne, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I am about to delve into seperates for the first time with my purchase of a Tag Av32R.

For the time being I will be having to use the multi channel input on my 7.1 Onkyo amp with the Tag before finally getting a power amp at a later date.

(The Onkyo amps are very good imho so I'm just bypassing the processor section for the time being...dedicated poweramp would be the next step !)

What I need is some advice for setting up the amp to use with the tag. I will setup the tag in the normal way with my tape measure and sound meter but what should I do with the amp settings ?

The Onkyo manual is not clear at all whether speaker settings/crossover/distance is still applied when the multi channel in is used?

So my idea was :

1. On the Onkyo 8989 --Set all speaker sizes to large and sub no. (as my sub will to hooked to the Tag)
    2. On the Onkyo 898 --Set the speaker distances all back to 0
    3. Calibrate the speaker levels through the Tag when the Onkyo's volume is set at reference.

Is this correct.. it could be a few months before I can sell the Onkyo and buy a power amp instead..

All advice welcome!

Cheers

Matt

2. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Matt- by connecting up your Tag to your Onkyo amp you will be using the Onyko as a power amp via its 7.1 inputs.

Connect the subwoofer only to the Tag as the subwoofer will have its built in amplifier. All the speaker sizes and time delays will be set by the Tag. It is a good idea to measure distances with a measuring tape and do not set them all to zero.

Set subwoofer to on in Tag setup. Set speaker sizes depending on their bass capability. I have my Front L / R set to large as well as the centre (but the centre speaker is a huge PMC TB2 -M ) and the rears to small. Yes - you should cailbrate speaker levels in the Tag setup menu when the Onyko 's volume is at reference level.

It will be a good idea to try and find a good poweramp for future use - Rotel ones are cheap and good value ( e.g. RMB 1075 - 5 x 120W)

3. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Thanks...

Yep the Onkyo will be sold shortly..but as the tag arrives this week it'll have to be the power amp for now.. with regards to the speaker distance I meant set the values to zero on the Onkyo as I am not sure if they are still applied to the signal put through the multi channel in.

Have been looking at the Rotel 1075.. or maybe the atlantic technology A2000. Basically the overridding factor as to which Power amp I will buy is the amount of money I get for the Onkyo :)

thanks

Matt

4. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Yes you should only set the distances etc on the TAG. Leave everything else as is on the onkyo (big speakers, 0m distance) otherwise you'll end up with two sets of time correction/bass management. I'm also not sure whether the onkyo would apply these things if you use the multichannel in (quite possibly not) but why risk it?

If your're after a power amp you might want a look at the thread on here about aaron ones. I've just got mine and I'm delighted with it. Not sure on your budget but a two channel was about £500 (they do another which has 3 channels so a combination of these would give what you need).

HTH
    Owain

5. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Thanks.. I have not read that thread yet :)

6. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi matt, let me how it sounds, was the improvements worhwhile? I have the same onkyo as you.

7. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    No probs... I better hear a difference :)

8. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    any difference....is it better much better...is it worth it?

9. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Currently the Onkyo is with my dealer so I have a loan Yam 750se amp.. got the Tag last night.. and I have not set it up properly yet.. but it sounds great.. very rich full sound.. the the bass seems so much better its hard to descrip I can see the DPL with sub being handy for TV.. though I have not unlocked DPL2 yet (and not sure I'll bother)

Can't wait to try it using the Onkyo amp stage.. and then get a proper 5 channel poer amp.. Defo worth the money so far.. will be playing around much more this weekend!

Cheers

Matt

10. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    cheers, keep me posted.