Setting up problems.

Bigpants2k

Established Member
Reaction score
I have posted this before but have had no answers :(
so ill give it another go.

Ok I have my new 32FX68 up and running and there are a few questions I have.

First thing that in the instruction manual it says that I should connect my DVD player to scart 2, I did this and the picture was black and white on moving it to scart 1 the picture became colour, does anybody know why this happens? and will it effect the picture quality.

When I am watching Sky, when the little blue box appears telling me what I am watching it is curved and this also happens when I am playing my X Box, how can this be straightened?

When I'm watching sport, lets says football then all the players in the background look kind of blurred and boxy?.

Does anybody know how to sort these problems out if so please heelllpppppppp

Thanks

:confused:

re SCARTs and B&W images The signal going down the SCART cable has to match the input on the TV. For example, if the Sky is sending SVideo, but the TV is 'looking for' composite video - you will get B&W. On most TVs only one SCART is RGB (another type of signal). RGB is probably better than the other alternatives. My guess is that your Sky box is outputting RGB and Svideo and your TV is composite on SCART 2 and RGB on SCART 1. If you need to use SCART 2 - set both the TV and Sky box to Sivideo if you can. But go for RGB (via SCART 1) if you can. See the manuals for details.

Curved 'straight things' Poor geometry in the TV. All CRTs are prone to this. An engineer may be able to minimise it, but it can rarely ever be completely cured. The only TVs with guaranteed perfect geometry are flat panels - LCD and Plasma.

bluured and boxy An artefact of the digital compression used by Sky. Unavoidable. More noticeable on a large screen. Freeview has less compression (better PQ) but, obviously a more restricted range of channels.

Thanks Nigel,

I get the black and white image when i plug my DVD into scart 2, so do you think if i try other connections on the back of my DVD player i might get a colour picture?

I think it's more likely a menu setting in either the DVD or TV, rather than which socket is in use. But you should be able to find out which protocols are supported, and how, on each device, by looking at the manuals.

So - look to see if <whichever socket you are using on the DVD player> supports, say S-Video, and how to set it up to do this.

Ditto for Sky.

And look to see if <whatever socket you are using on the TV> supports SVideo, and how to set it up to do this.

If one or other doesn't support SVideo - you either have to

- use composite (poorer quality than SVideo) OR
- use SCART 1 on the TV for RGB (better than SVideo)

If you want to keep the best PQ (ie RGB) for both devices, and your TV only suports RGB on one SCART (fairly normal) then you will need to either

- buy a SCART switch box OR
- if either the Sky or DVD has 2 SCARTS, loop the signal from one through the other. For example, if the DVD has two, go

Sky > DVD (SCART2) and DVD (SCART1) to TV (SCART1).

For what it's worth - the difficulty you are having comes about entirely because of SCARTS - the work of the devil. You wouldnt be asking all this if you were in the USA, because they don't have them at all.

Thanks again,

I know it has RGB on scart 1 and scart 2.

Hi Have u made sure your digibox and DVD player are outputting RGB, you can tell this by selecting each AV source on your remote you should have 3 dots under AV1 and AV2 but none under AV3 as that is not RGB.

Also are your scart leads from the digibox and dvd player RGB ones???

I have my set on WIDE setting and Dynamic picture setting with the digibox on High contrast looks brilliant.

Keep playing with the settings your get there!!

Dal

Thanks w3dal and all you other guys.

w3dal,

do you have your DVD plugged into scart 2 like it says in the manual?, as i tried this and the picture was black and white.

Hi M8,

Yes i have mine set up as follows -

Scart1- Sky Digibox set to RGB on TV menu and Digibox Menu
Scart2 - Sony DVD Player set to RGB on DVD Menu and TV
Scart 3 - PS2 NOT RGB but usually swap to AV1 if playing for long period of time for better graphics.

Both the DVD player and Digibox have RGB Scart Leads which i bought for around £20 quid each on the Net. - but usually the ones u get free will do.

I have

Just to confirm my Tv is the 32"FX66 which i believe is the older version of your TV and so in theroy be the same setup. Does your Version def have 2 RGB Scart Inputs??

Im a bit confused as to why your dvd player is outputting black and white. I assume your testing it on a Region2 player??

If your DVD player plays fine in AV1 then use that and put your digibox/XBOX in AV 2.

But if your TV ouputs all your sources ie xbox,sky,dvd in black and white from AV2 then maybe there is something wrong with that Socket on the TV and should be looked at.

You have found a great Tv and its a shame your having these little problems.

Dal

Hi Dal,

Yeah it has RGB on Scart 1 and 2.

I have Sky on Scart 2 at the moment and that is fine.

On the back of my DVD player I don't have scart connections. I connect using a cable with a scart connection on one end and 3 single connections on the other, which goes into my DVD.

Fred

In that case then, keep the DVD player set to AV1 and your Sky Box to AV2.

And then connect the Xbox to AV3 or whatever u feel.

Dont forget you can name the AV Selectors, just to look flash.

I guess the manual tries to keep it simple by telling the user which to use. But its really down to your preference.

Go with that then.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom