1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up PC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NickBull, Oct 22, 2001.

1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once I get a working PC, what software will I need and how easy is it to set up. I have a rough idea that I need Win DVD, DVD genie, Powerstrip but is there anything else that I need.

I need to get a reasonable set up before Roland can instal the BG808.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Nick

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick

To start with what you've listed is all you need. Try and make sure that the whole lot is working correctly on a Computer Monitor before hand and also try and ensure that you've set up the Powerstrip resolutions to match the supposed sweetspot for the Projector. IMO that should be 1280x720p and 1280x960p (the latter for 4:3 or Letterbox).

Regards Neil.

3. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Neil. Is it true that WINDVD 3.0 is not as good as some of the earlier versions?

Also, my old monitor is only 1024 x 768, so I won't be able to set up all the resolutions, I assume they're straight forward to set up so I can do it once the projector is hooked up.

Thanks

Nick

4. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WinDVFD 3 has a number of nice features but has a bug whereby you cannot use the Enter key to choose menu options, you have to use the mouse instead.

This means you cannot use a Pronto to control the HTPC overall.

Regards Neil.

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    WinDVD 2.6-2.8 have Radeon gamma support when used with Windows 98 or Me. Windows 2000 and XP drivers disable gamma support from WinDVD and the ATI player.

Jeff