1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up Panny DMR E55 correctly for sky +

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DonMaico, Dec 11, 2004.

1. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am somewhat confused because if I set Av input to RGB ,as suggested, I get a blank screen on av1 ( extn 1) and yet my digibox is connected to av1( RGB) whilst the dvd recorder is connected to av2( video, svideo). On extn 2( av2) I get a picture but no screen messages appear on screen although they do appear on av1(extn1)?? However I do get a picture on extn1( av1) if I change av2 input to video. This suggests that my pictures can only be in composite and , indeed changing my picture settings on my sky+ to Pal from RGB produces no discernible changes either to extn 1 or 2 :confused: :confused: As the dvd is connected to av2 I would have thought all screen messages woukld appaerer on extn 2? Could you please advise?

Finally which ext link setting would you use - 1 or 2? Not sure what the difference between them is. :)

2. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I have E55 also. would like to help but your request lost me a bit.
    Can you list what tv and what is connected to where on all 3 devices? :)

3. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I have E55 also. would like to help but your request lost me a bit.
    Can you list what ports the tv has and what is connected to where on all 3 devices? :)

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    When I record from Sky+ to my E85 I just connect the scart from the TV out of the Sky+ box into the E85 (there is therefore no connection to the TV from the Sky+ box at that stage). This is done because the VCR output of the Sky+ box is not RGB, so in theory you get a better recording going from the TV out of the Sky+.

5. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya:
    John- does that mean you play back your recordings via Sy digibox and onto tv?

happyh - cant remember the exact model of my Philips. all i can say is that it has two scart sockets av1( which shows on screen as extn1) and av2 ( extn2) .AV1 is RGB/video enabled and av2 is svideo/ video enabled. The digibox is connected to AV1 and the panny to AV2. :smoke:

6. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    As JohnG says, the best way to get good quality DVD recordings is to connect Sky+ "TV" scart to the E55 AV2, both set to RGB.
    Then you can complete the chain with E55 AV1 connected to Television AV1.

When the E55 is in standby you still have RGB pictures from Sky+ going to the televisions AV1.

Use Sky+ to record everything you may want to dub to DVD and external link is probably redundant. :)

If you need to view Sky while the DVD recorder is recording from its internal analogue tuner, a connection from Sky+ AV2 to the television AV2 (both set to S-Video?) will do the trick.

7. Twilliams

Twilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi john, I have been having a prob with the sound on my set-up, I have a Sony Sky digital receiver, connected to a DMR E55 recorder, going to a Panny Viera 37". I just tried your set-up as mentioned above, and im still getting the same problem No sound. I can get a picture fine but im getting no sound whenever I have the DVD recorder switched on. If I turn the recorder off again then the sound comes through once more via AV1. Any suggestions?

8. sunil1234

sunil1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    what are the options you have set under "sound" on the E55 setup menu?

S

9. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Not at all sure what this may be. Do you get sound......
    1) when replaying commercial DVDs?
    2) when viewing terrestrial analogue channels using E55 tuner?

10. Twilliams

Twilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

(1)Yes I get sound when playing a DVD movie, but not if i record onto the dvd, (assuming the same reason as there no sound to begin with)

(2) yes the terrestrial channels work too, but once i move up from ch5 to the 6 which is where i also have sky tuned in via an RF cable, then there is no sound, also no sound via AV1 (scart)

11. Twilliams

Twilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

These options are as default, only had the recorder a couple of weeks, and only wanted to record last night when i discovered there was no sound. tried moveing a few cables around, including the "manua"l set-up and even plugging in a seperate red/white audio cable into the input socket on the front of the system, going back to the sky box, but no joy. I think half the problem is having so many inputs its hard to no which socket is the one being used. but i have tried allot of configurations and nothing seems broke as ya can seem to get the right output from every socket at one time or another, just not when ya want to record and watch sky through the dvd. one thing not sure if its anything. the dvd does override the sky scart when i turn it on. thne ya get pic just no sound.

Note from previous post, just checked again, and I was wrong about the RF cable, there is no sound coming through when the dvd is off via this lead.

12. Twilliams

Twilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone :s please

13. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    Have you got AV1 on the TV set up to receive it's sound from an optical/coax source instead of through the scart ? On my Panasonic I can set the AV sources to have different options for sound, it may be worth checking this (though I'm not sure if your Sky box has a digital out ?)

14. Twilliams

Twilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont think that is a problem, because I can get sound via playing a dvd, and through the Rf cable, just nothing via scart from sky box, but sky box straight to tv works fine.

15. Twilliams

Twilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having gone through every port with all my cables again, It seems the video feed with no sound has been coming from the Rf cable, and that if wiggled makes intermittent sound at the sky box end, so the sky box RF socket is faulty. this however does not stop the scart sockets from working fine from sky box straight to TV. but nothing at all from Sky box to DVD to TV

16. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Sorry to ask the obvious again but is the Sky box connected by scart to the E55 AV2 and have you selected AV2 using the input select button on the E55 remote?

If this doesn't work it sounds like a faulty E55.

17. Twilliams

Twilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried the scart in all the scart sockets, the tv and dvd out on the sky box,into both av1 and 2 on the dvd recorder, and switching av channels too, So the simple answer to your Q is Yes. :mad:

18. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Ok, If you have..

Sky to E55 AV2
    E55 AV1 to television Ext1

and no other scart connections in the system

As I understand it , when the E55 is in standby you get Sky with sound on the television external1.
    Now simply switching the E55 ON (with AV2 selected as the E55 input) there's then no sound on the Sky pictures.

I would say the E55 needs to be exchanged. :(

19. Twilliams

Twilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm, thankx for that. the latest update. I can get sound now if I push down slightly on the sky box caseing either over the RF cable or the scart cable. then the sound comes through. Which suggests the sky box is to fault. Just cant understand why its ok when i connect it straight to the TV. intermittent problems eh are just the worst. Pretty much looks like one is to blame.
    Is there any problems involved in borrowing a mates sky receiver and connecting it to my setup to test it, or will sky detect this and kick up a fuss?

20. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    On the E55 make sure the scarts are set to be normal rather than decoder.

21. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [QUOTE=johnjackthom]As JohnG says, the best way to get good quality DVD recordings is to connect Sky+ "TV" scart to the E55 AV2, both set to RGB.
    Then you can complete the chain with E55 AV1 connected to Television AV1.

When the E55 is in standby you still have RGB pictures from Sky+ going to the televisions AV1.

Use Sky+ to record everything you may want to dub to DVD and external link is probably redundant. :)

If you need to view Sky while the DVD recorder is recording from its internal analogue tuner, a connection from Sky+ AV2 to the television AV2 (both set to S-Video?) will do the trick.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Johnjackthom the connection works well :thumbsup:
    On you last poiint as I tend to Copy from recorded progs does it mean I can watch another prog on av2?

22. Damnyoureyes

Damnyoureyes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I had a similar problem :- no sound on the tuner channels - on the E55 the channel setup is to PAL B&W by default when it needs to be PAL I or something
    Try changing the channel setup to this could solve your sound problems

Try a search on the forums here for the E55

23. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Unfortunately you can only 'view' one thing at a time on Sky+ so while dubbing to DVD it can't display a different Sky programme.

24. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Shouldn't be a problem. In any case it's only for a short test and you could stick to something like BBC1 which doesn't even require a viewing card.

25. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [QUOTE=johnjackthom]Unfortunately you can only 'view' one thing at a time on Sky+ so while dubbing to DVD it can't display a different Sky programme.[/QUOTE]

In which case it would make more sense to use av 2 for another source :) Thanks for all your help

26. Twilliams

Twilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I have borrowed my mates Sky box, and the same problem persists, still Sky is fine when DVD is switched off. but when switched on I loose the sky feed, Picture too it seems, can't seem to recreate the set-up with picture but no sound. I think that set-up involved me using the RF cable to get a picture, though there was still no sound.
    So this I guess just leaves the DVD player at fault. I Can't see how though there is a fault on it as the Signal happily feeds though it when its switched off, then kills it when its switched on. this to me sounds like a setting somewhere that's wrong. have been into the sound settings as mentioned earlier in the thread, not sure what half of them do. will try searching for the PAL change as specified by Damnyoureyes earlier thanks... will get back to ya all thanx allot for everyone's help on this one.

27. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Yes, it really depends on how often you intend to record DVDs using the E55s internal tuner which would then stop your viewing of Sky. Probably not very frequently :)

28. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No as I intend yo just use the sky plus to record and then just make copies.
    Odd that I have an s video connection facility as well but no set up option in the sky booklet?