1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting Up Online Gameing

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by jameswright, Jul 7, 2005.

1. jameswright

jameswright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,

I am what is known as a bit of a techo-div.... I am looking at setting up a broadband connection at home for the sole purpose of online gameing on my ps2. Could anybody please recommend a broadband provider. And tell me which hardware I will need to get started. I only have the basic ps2 console at the moment.

Thanks.

Techno dunce!

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    i'd recommend getting yourself xbox live mate. the ps2 is appauling online, and I certainly wouldn't recommend getting broadband for that sole use.

3. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,954
    Check out ADSL Guide for info on the best broadband providers. I personally have it through NTL and although they were pretty bad after taking over Cable & wireless, I find them to be pretty good these days. Touch wood, i've only had the one drop in service (about a year ago) and the connection runs at full speed all of the time. You need to be in a cable area though so check this out first.

To get online with your PS2 you just need a Broadband adaptor (unless you have one of the newer consoles with the built in ethernet port) which you connect up to your modem/router via a Cat 5 cable. You'll need to make sure that your modem accepts an RJ-45 plug though. The likes of BT, Wanadoo etc tend to give you those cheap Speedtouch modems that connect direct to your PC via USB and don't have an RJ-45 socket on them. If this is the case with the provider that you join then i'd recommend getting an ADSL Modem/Router (I bought one for my brother off ebay for around £30). If you get a modem with a built in router then this will also allow you to connect a PC or another console in the future should you wish.

That's pretty much all there is to it though. It's then just a matter of running the PS2 Online setup disc and you're away.

The PS2 online service is pretty ropey compared to X-Box live though as GG says but it's better than it was. I personally am a big fan of X-Box live but i'd probably wait until the 360 is launched at the back end of the year, instead of getting an X-Box now.

Hope that helps anyway. :thumbsup:

4. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I have had PS2 online for about a year and i have found it not bad. I have never used xbox live because i dont like paying extra! (microsoft have had enough of my money)

I think the real problem is the lack of players online at any one time, but i just play twisted metal online and it is great.

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,954
    I do personally think that live is worth the annual subs as it's just soooo much better than any other online service (on PC or console). If you buy the starter pack bundled with a game then you can often pick them up at great prices (around the £40 mark) around the same price of the game itself in the shops! :smashin: . It's the whole community aspect, the standardisation and ease of use that make Live so great! You also find that people take it as read that you use voice on Live where quite often people don't bother for PC or PS2 online games.

6. doublej

doublej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Erm.. why is PS2 online gaming so bad ? And why is the xbox better than PC online gaming ? (which is way longer established than either)

I haven't tried X-box online - but I object to tariffs.

the PC is the best - but there is pressure to say constantly up to date.

I find the PS2 fuss free, cheap and easy. Plenty of players, plently of games.

jj

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,954
    You really have to experience X-Box live to know why it's so good.

If you read my previous post then I explain there -
    It's plug & play, no fuss online gaming with a community that exists regardless of what game you are playing. In a nut shell that's why it's better than the others. I had PS2 online but I sold my BB Adaptor to my brother due to lack of use and I used my PC to play online for a good 7 years or so.

If you play on X-Box live then you will be converted, believe me :smashin: .

8. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I just got an old PS2 with network adapter from a mate of mine but didn't get the setup disc. He used to use his PS2 online all the time but can't find the setup disc.
    Is there anyother way of registering online?
    Direct with Sony or perhaps a file I can download, burn to disc and run??

9. Mickus

Mickus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I think you can register on UK.Playstation.com and request a disk. Either way, on this site, head to the forums, there's a network section including contact numbers for SCEE.

Sony's online gaming is a 'hands-off' approach, much like the PC community - whereas Microsofts is more of a 'hands-on' approach - and is subject to a susbscription.

It's well regarded that the Xbox live service is superior - even Sony have stated they'll put in place a 'Xbox Live Like service' for the PS3. The difference will that Sony's service will still continue to be free, whereas Microsoft have already stated that the Xbox 360 service will be split into a free, but resctrictive, silver service - and a Gold subscription service.

Guess we'll just have to wait to see how it all pans out !

10. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Cheers, I found that and registered a couple of days ago.
    Meanwhile, my mate clamis he's closed to finding the disc so it's a race between him and Sony now!