Setting up new router

Coz

Established Member
Reaction score
I am trying to set up a tp-link router to replace my EE brightbox. I have plugged it in and plugged it in the phone socket, switched it on, all lights have come on. I have plugged a LAN cable from the laptop to the router to set it up. I clicked on the wifi in the taskbar and clicked on the tp-link, put the password in and clicked connect. It now says disconnect although it also says No internet, secured. I am supposed to go to the website to set it up but how can I when there is no internet connection? I have tried but the page won't load, even with the LAN cable connected. How do I set it up??

Last edited:
Are you trying to connect via wi-fi and ethernet (LAN cable) at the same time? You only need to use one or the other.

I'm not familiar with the TP-link quick setup instructions but it's likely the setup website you mention for it is hosted by the router rather than by a server on the internet, so you don't need an internet connection to go to it. Is it something like http://192.168.0.1?

So have you got a router or modem / router? The brightbox plugs into your telephone line and "logs on" to your broadband connection. If you are replacing it, you will need to enter your EE credentials. Details (slightly confusing) here: What are my home broadband internet settings?

If you have just bought a router that does not support VDSL2, then you may need to keep using your Brightbox, but turn off the wifi and use your new router as an access point. In this case, you will need to configure it correctly for use as an access point.

Are you trying to connect via wi-fi and ethernet (LAN cable) at the same time? You only need to use one or the other.

I'm not familiar with the TP-link quick setup instructions but it's likely the setup website you mention for it is hosted by the router rather than by a server on the internet, so you don't need an internet connection to go to it. Is it something like http://192.168.0.1?

I think I must have been trying to do both at the same time. Yes, that was the url I had to type in. It said either that or the tplinkmodem url.

So have you got a router or modem / router? The brightbox plugs into your telephone line and "logs on" to your broadband connection. If you are replacing it, you will need to enter your EE credentials. Details (slightly confusing) here: What are my home broadband internet settings?

If you have just bought a router that does not support VDSL2, then you may need to keep using your Brightbox, but turn off the wifi and use your new router as an access point. In this case, you will need to configure it correctly for use as an access point.

Thank you.

What's the difference in a router and a modem?

That does look confusing.

My new router does support VDSL2. It says on the box. Does that make things easier?

Still no wiser.

Yes, it does. You just need your router username and password. This may be on documentation you got from EE. Set the connection type correctly and enter the details and it should connect to your broadband correctly.

Yes, it does. You just need your router username and password. This may be on documentation you got from EE. Set the connection type correctly and enter the details and it should connect to your broadband correctly.

Thanks! Is it easier to set it up using a LAN cable? How do I set the connection type? I'm using Windows 10.

I still don't get how I can access the webite that I need to enter the website address or IP address without a connection. When I opened my browser to try to do this, it said I couldn't access it. Even with the LAN cable in.

If it is like Sky, there are user name and password needed to access the network, this is what Sky use and when you get the router it has been configured with these.
Is that the case with EE?

You have a connection to the router. The EE username and password need entering in the UI (like a website) that lives on the router.

If it is like Sky, there are user name and password needed to access the network, this is what Sky use and when you get the router it has been configured with these.
Is that the case with EE?

When I unplugged my Brightbox, plugged the new router in and connected the LAN cable, I clicked on the wifi in the taskbar. A box came up with a list of available routers. I clicked on the new router and it asked my the network ID (I think that's what ut said) so I put the password in for the router. I clicked on connect amd it must have connected because it then said disconnect. But it also said No internet connection and wouldn't allow me to access those website to set it up.

It is the 'no internet connection' part that I am referring to.
Sky use ID/password to control access and I expect other providers to as well.
Have you checked with EE about using third party routers?

It is the 'no internet connection' part that I am referring to.
Sky use ID/password to control access and I expect other providers to as well.
Have you checked with EE about using third party routers?

No, I havent but it states on the EE website that you are allowed to use other routers.

Do the new router status LEDs show it has connected to the network?

You have a connection to the router. The EE username and password need entering in the UI (like a website) that lives on the router.

How do I enter them in the UI? Through my web browser? It didn't work.

Do the new router status LEDs show it has connected to the network?

Yes, I think all the lights were on. The power light was on, the DSL one was on (it says on these 2 need to be on before configuring). All the other lights were on too.

OK, the router is connected to the network.
Go to Control panel->Network and Sharing Centre.
That should show an active network.

You don't need to connect to the internet to see the configuration web page. It is stored on the router itself. Open up your web browser and enter http://192.168.1.1
This should open up a web page and you will need to enter the admin username and password. The defaults are admin and admin (Do make sure you change these) or you may find they are written on the router - and will be different.

There might well be an easy configuration wizard that will talk you through the process. Follow the instructions from my previous post to enter the correct connection type for EE, along with the correct username and password - Which EE will have supplied to you. This is NOT the same as your wifi, email or EE login.

Enter these details and the router should restart and connect. If everything is correct, your internet will be restored!!

I am confused as to which names and passwords I'm entering where.

I was still having problems accessing the page to set up the router. I tried various things until it finally worked when I used chrome instead of Microsoft Edge. The pages were loading very slowly though. I was asked to enter a new password so I made one up as I wasn't sure which one I was supposed to enter. Then a box came up saying name and password. I entered the SSID TPLink name that is on the router and the password I had just created was already entered. But now I'm thinking I should have entered the password that is on the new router rather than make one up??

I ran out of time so had to disconnect it all and plug in my old router. I am planning on trying again tomorrow if anyone would like to help me out on which names and passwords to enter where?

Last edited:
You should have been required to enter the password on the sticker before it prompted you to create a new one.

If you did then the new one is now the router admin password (not to be mixed up with the wi-fi password).

So is it not an issue that I've made one up to replace the one that came with the router? At what point do I enter my old router details? I'm worried I'm going to mess up and not be able to use any of the routers in the end.

Last edited:
It's a good thing to not be using the default password.

Don't worry about messing anything up. The reset button on the router will reset everything including the router admin password.

Presumably by 'old router details' you mean the EE login/password information for your internet connection? They can be input when you've logged into the router control panel and gone to the section dealing with the internet connection (which may be called that, or VDSL, or WAN).

I'm not sure why the router control panel should be slow in chrome and fail entirely in edge. You could try connecting using a different device like a phone or tablet, being a webpage it's accessible by just about everything.

Thanks.

Yes, by old router details, I meant the EE login info.

Can I use my phone to set up the new router? Do I not have set it up on every device in the house, including the laptop?

Tried it on my phone and it's faster. But I've got to the page where it says Enter the internet connection info and asks for my username and password.

Do I enter my wireless network name and password that EE gave me or my broadband username and password that I created when I joined EE (Orange)?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom